Lorry driver tried to run me into oncoming traffic

Soldato
Basically, i was at a 2 lane junction, one with left and straight on lane and right and straight on lane, on the other side it was a single lane. I was in the right behind a lorry. He proceeded forward and went straight and so did i. There was a haulage 6 wheeler in the left lane who sped up and proceeded to push in and push me into the oncoming lane, scuffed rear arch and small dent on the front passenger door. initially i just thought he pushed in the mirror though. I stopped, beeped and flashed and he sped away.
We stopped at a traffic light, i went to ask wtf, he then told me i was in a right only lane, but i've googled it and its not then as i'm walking back to my car in front of the lorry he inched it forward as if to hit/intimidate me, he did this twice.
I called the haulage firm and they told me they will check the camera and get back to me tomorrow and the guy even agreed even if was in the wrong thats not the way to be doing things and apologised on behalf of the company.
I was given a number by a witness who later texted me back when i texted him, he said that i should call the police as its some form of assault and leaving the scene of an accident.
Makes me mad as i had my 9 month old in the very area near the wheel arch he scuffed (back passenger seat, passenger side) and it could have been a worse outcome.

Any ideas on a likely outcome? Just stressed about this.

Soldato
Call Police, give give account of what happened and witness contact details.
Or
Make your way to said haulage company and kick several colours of crap out of the piece of **** driver.
Probably best go with the first option though.

Edit: as to outcome, anyone’s guess. I’d hope the haulage firm sack him and the police arrest him on multiple charges and make them stick.

Soldato
I'd welcome this. Because I'd happily have my car repainted by their insurance :p

But, ofc, if my son was with me I would be going crazy at them.

Soldato
Yeah he needs charging with whatever they can do if your account is how it happened.

Using a lorry as a weapon, even if he'd technically been in the right, is plain dangerous.

Soldato
I would certainly report it to the police. They don't take intimidation lightly, especially from a trucker!

Assuming the company has cameras on the vehicle that covered the incident, I'd hope it captured everything and they offer a full repair.

Soldato
Report it to the police and save your dashcam footage. Ideally, once you've copied yuour record to your PC, take out the SD card and put it in a safe place as evidence.

Soldato
Does the single lane have a blend in arrow? Otherwise a Google maps might be interesting as surely there must be some arrows on the floor to say who has the right of way. Wouldn't like to say unless I saw thst, you could have been in a right turn only lane.

Soldato
Without knowing the signage and arrows on the roads it's impossible to apportion blame, also normally as lorries are much larger than cars and take a lot more to stop it's self-preservation to allow them to proceed whilst ranting from your vehicle.

I guess without dash camera footage your only hope is that the witness collaborates your story otherwise insurance wise it could just go 50/50.

Also the amount of people who try to undercut lorries (and dangerous overtakes) is insane because they don't want to get behind one (I'm also usually guilty of this as well) and you can understand why some truckers get frustrated.

Man of Honour
I'm assuming the lorry essentially undertook you closing the gap in the left lane? while the highway code [now] recommends merge in turn under these circumstances I'm not quite sure what the situation is here - I assume you were ahead of him entering into the merge point?

Soldato
Regardless who was right or wrong, using the lorry as a weapon of intimidation is wrong, shame you have no camera footage I expect he would be looking for a new job if you did.

Back
Top Bottom