At Risk...

Soldato
So I was informed (like a few others) that I'm at Risk as my role is shuffled off to a lower cost area..

I've been applying to roles internally..

Meanwhile a nightly ****storm top down, heads roll and a massive second review is taking place, positions that were available have been relocated, thus my application is no longer for an active role.. in fact a separate re-org of the way the entire place works is also going ahead.. or was until it got the seagull treatment from up high.

I've just been offered a 'try out' for a new role (the guy has worked a bit with me but not long enough to feel comfortable), essentially performing the R&R of that role whilst still being at risk and in the notice period of my redundancy. The role is being offered externally - where there would be no such try out..

Anyone see the instant HR fail here... it's possibly unfair discriminating that an external person doesn't have to perform the role, although they would be on probation whereas I have 3+ years of service. The manager has said that the role is 100% engagement, however by law I have the right to look for a new job (upto 40% of my time the company has to pay for).. hence that would discriminate against me again vs a new hire..

Also unless the company and the manager have this written guaranteeing that the end role is not vamooshed as part of the seagull treatment leaving me with no job and potentially putting the company in hot water...

Right.. I'm that naive... seriously.

Chat with the inhouse HR Recruiter on Monday to help find a new role .. and I've warned him of this impending situation.. (I'm not nasty, just being a good employee :)). However I think I'll be looking externally!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I've just been offered a 'try out' for a new role (the guy has worked a bit with me but not long enough to feel comfortable), essentially performing the R&R of that role whilst still being at risk and in the notice period of my redundancy. The role is being offered externally - where there would be no such try out..

Anyone see the instant HR fail here... it's possibly unfair discriminating that an external person doesn't have to perform the role, although they would be on probation

So to play devil's advocate, you could argue that the external candidates are being discriminated against because they don't get the opportunity to 'try out' the new role; they basically get their one shot via an application/interview process whereas you get the best possible platform to showcase your talents in real life over a much longer period.

You do have the right to look for other jobs when at risk of redundancy however so regardless of "100% engagement" (whatever that means? Aren't all jobs 100% engagement?) that doesn't really change anything, you just attend interviews when you need to, or are they explicitly saying you wouldn't get paid time off for that?

Soldato
OP
So to play devil's advocate, you could argue that the external candidates are being discriminated against because they don't get the opportunity to 'try out' the new role; they basically get their one shot via an application/interview process whereas you get the best possible platform to showcase your talents in real life over a much longer period.

You do have the right to look for other jobs when at risk of redundancy however so regardless of "100% engagement" (whatever that means? Aren't all jobs 100% engagement?) that doesn't really change anything, you just attend interviews when you need to, or are they explicitly saying you wouldn't get paid time off for that?

I spoke with HR and it’s clear there is a mechanism for trial available but they advised that the manager needs to be more precise.

Permabanned
Sorry to hear all this bad situation, is there any particular reason to stay?

I would be 100% looking for a job elsewhere, even if you take this role.

All's fair in love and redundancies

Soldato
OP
Sorry to hear all this bad situation, is there any particular reason to stay?

I would be 100% looking for a job elsewhere, even if you take this role.

All's fair in love and redundancies

Yup, given that for a separate hackathon my team has driven some groundbreaking ideas that have caused quite a stir at group level and there's no desire to keep me but just simply steal the idea.. I think I agree with you. The place want to drive innovation but then the group directors steal it for their own little areas lead by their own people without developing people. All who you know not what you know. Ok minor rant over, there's more interesting things out there.

Back
Top Bottom