*** Official Darkest Dungeon Thread ***

Soldato
http://www.darkestdungeon.com/

Started life as a kickstarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1460250988/darkest-dungeon-by-red-hook-studios) and still in early access at the moment.

Anyone playing this game?

I cannot get enough of it at the moment, got a few mixed reviews (they changed some mechanic or another a few month back that really upset the initial playerbase) but I find it fantastic.

Really tough and unforgiving game, some pretty tough mechanics and it doesn't pull it's punches with regard to how you handle your characters.

My only gripe at the moment is that I find at times it substitutes tough game play for simply not bothering to explain anything, even some basic mechanics, so find yourself restarting due to dumb stuff.

So, anyone else playing? I didn't realise that if you get to a certain level your characters then think themselves "above" doing easier missions so having a nightmare clearing the earlier bosses as I cannot use my good characters :p that and the constant struggle for gold!

Soldato
OP
Can't believe no one on here plays this, it's a great game. I'm about week 60 and took to using suicide runs to gather mats and gold to heal and upgrade the heroes (and cure them!) which has slowed progress but on the flipside now in a better place. Got a decent low level group now clearing the final 3 low tier bosses and about a 10 man group able to clear veteran stuff though they need optimising.

Anyhow, full release announced if anyone was waiting on it;

http://www.darkestdungeon.com/darkest-dungeon-full-release-date-january-19-2016/

January 19th, really worth a purchase!

Soldato
OP
Aha I searched for a thread, missed that!

Hellions are probably a tier 2 now, optimising a group you probably want Crusader/Hound/Hound/Vest. Hellions are useful and you can put out some serious damage if you trinket them up right.

I don't mind the grind at the moment, I like the challenge of improving the characters but I suppose it could eventually get tedious.

Soldato
OP
Holy thread revival batman!!

Anyone stil playing this? It's in its fully completed state now and it's an even better game than it was before (and just as mean)

I'm going for a full play through now the darkest dungeon itself has been released, onto week 54 with a good core of a team clearing veteran runs and trying to trinket up and prepare for champion which is supposed to be a beast of a step up.

Soldato
I played in early-mid beta, was pretty fun. Was keeping tabs on it since and there seems to be lots of complaints of where the game headed and it's gone a bit too grindy and praying for good RNG.

Soldato
OP
RNG whines are boring (not saying you are) yes there is RNG but no more so than most other RPG like Baldurs Gate/Divinty etc where actions are worked out by numbers. The only reason it is mentioned so much is that the devs didn't hide from the fact like most do. You build your arty well around the Zone/boss and trinket up right to minimise the bad numbers like any other game. RNG is an easy excuse for bad players.

I think a lot of people don't like it though as you are role playing the land owner not the characters so all of your characters are just expendable meat and I think people don't like this fact. Accept your party are ****** (like it tells you as you log on :p) and you'll be a lot happier.

Saying it is grindy, to an extent it is like most RPG's probably a little more so but again I think it is player misunderstanding and people being too attached to their characters. You will never have enough gold to do everything, it is about prioritising and accepting that your characters are dispensable and using your gold wisely (upgrades, saving good characters, skills) and then being brutal with pretty much anyone sub 3 and just dismissing the losers. Anyone makes it through is a nice perk to add to your main party.

Each to their own, despite my passions defence I genuinely think a lot of people (I know a good mate of mine) cannot accept the game is such a **** to you and that your characters are just meat, it's a different mindset :p but the feeling when you succeed is brilliant, I'm mostly done the veteran bosses, not looking forward to champion mind, that's where a hard game gets real nasty :D

Soldato
Only two other posters replying to this thread?! I'm late to the party with this game, but it definitely deserves more attention than it got here, so it merits a necro!

I still don't really know what I'm doing and seem to have very stressed-out heroes! A fun and atmospheric little game, though.

Associate
I've been playing it on and off since it came out. I get too attached to my heroes and end up restarting when they die or get lots of negative traits so I never get very far into the campaign. Like you say, a very fun (in a grim sort of way) and atmospheric game. I absolutely love the monologues from the narrator and would like to hear him in some other games.

Soldato
Yeah, I have had that feeling too. Kind of ruined by first Dismas and then three other heroes all dying in rapid successon from about week six onwards, mind.

I've now invested a bit of gold into some heroes' skills and equipment, though, so I'm feeling a bit of sunk-cost attachment to them again...

I think I'm slowly getting the hang of things - clearly dungeons quite regularly and haven't had a death for a little while now. But I still feel there's a lot to learn.

Apart from the fact this is a generally cool game, I really like the fact that it's seemingly made for the odd 15 minute foray here and there and doesn't need a long time investment.

Soldato
-
Amazing how little attention this thread has...

I've always got the game installed. Atm I have a(very heavilly modded) game going with all dlc and some good modded scenarios. Just when I think I'm comfortable, I get knocked back though.

I adore the game's structure and could play it forever on/off

I am really excited for the sequel. I hope they don't just do the same thing again though, and try to innovate a bit

Last edited:
Soldato

Nice skins. I see Geralt, Artorias (?), Gael, Solaire and Siegward, but can't place the others.

(Could have changed the character names, though! ;) )

In my game, I have a few dungeons now on level 2 and 3, but a mix of levels of heroes, including some level 0. What's the strategy to use - a noob team to level together, a mix of experience and low-levels? How do you deal most effectively with losing high level heroes?

Soldato
Nice skins. I see Geralt, Artorias (?), Gael, Solaire and Siegward, but can't place the others.

(Could have changed the character names, though! ;) )

Zoltan(Houndmaster), Scorpion from Mortal Kombat(Bounty Hunter) and Kratos(Bounty Hunter). Tbh, most of the best skins I'm using are for Bounty hunters....I did change some names but tbh most of the original ones died!

I usually level a group together, but it isn't always possible when someone gets stressed and has to rest so you need a backup...you will run out of low-level dungeons though at some point. i use a mod that makes sure that doesn't happen and gives you more level 1,2 and 3 dungeons. It makes the game much longer which I like as I don't like to be rushed in this game.

Back
Top Bottom