• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Now that DLSS is dead can that HW be re-purposed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
DLSS provides better performance, but there is no way on this green earth that it creates better visuals in games.

Blurr and a light wire checkerboard effect is introduced with DLSS enabled.
The blur was a result of some training issue or bugs in the first release with BFV. A few weeks after that the game was patched and the blur was gone.

Image quality is not a sinple metric. There will of course be some edge cases where DLSS introduces artifacts, but on average statistically across the image it is a lot better than simply downscaling.

In fact if you downscaling can be very soft.

Soldato
The blur was a result of some training issue or bugs in the first release with BFV. A few weeks after that the game was patched and the blur was gone.

Image quality is not a sinple metric. There will of course be some edge cases where DLSS introduces artifacts, but on average statistically across the image it is a lot better than simply downscaling.

Blur is reduced not gone!! Don't start missing leading people now DP lol
Fact DLSS still gives a worst image vs native res.

Caporegime
Blur is reduced not gone!! Don't start missing leading people now DP lol
Fact DLSS still gives a worst image vs native res.

I wasn't comparing vs native res, I was comparing a 4k image produced by DLSS vs downsampling an image to 80% in order to gain performance. The DLSS image is almost certainly better in 99.9% of frames.

As for AMD's sharpening tech,m look like Nvidia beat them to the post by about 2 years!

Associate
OP
I wasn't comparing vs native res, I was comparing a 4k image produced by DLSS vs downsampling an image to 80% in order to gain performance. The DLSS image is almost certainly better in 99.9% of frames.

As for AMD's sharpening tech,m look like Nvidia beat them to the post by about 2 years!

99.99% is a highly optimistic figure. Here's a recent example and arguably one the best DLSS versions to date. The DLSS image has certain benefits while the downsampled image has certain benefits. Certainly not a "99.99%" scenario of any kind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CEyp6tTr8ew

Also, I'm a 2080ti owner. I care little what AMD is doing. Good for them.

DLSS v2 or 2x or whatever is no where to be seen. There are plenty of games where you have lot of GPU overhead left. Getting to use that overhead would be awesome. DSR smoothing creates poor IQ and other artifacts before we go down that path...

Last edited:
Soldato

Are you actually playing DLSS titles or reading off of articles?

I'm playing Metro and TR with RT/DLSS enabled on latest builds, they and BFV last time I bothered to play it all exhibit blur and background wireframe artifact brought on using DLSS over native.

Every game played is rendered normally without DLSS-note I'm not complaining about the tech, just your claim that DLSS provides better visuals is ridiculous.

Caporegime
Are you actually playing DLSS titles or reading off of articles?

I'm playing Metro and TR with RT/DLSS enabled on latest builds, they and BFV last time I bothered to play it all exhibit blur and background wireframe artifact brought on using DLSS over native.

Every game played is rendered normally without DLSS-note I'm not complaining about the tech, just your claim that DLSS provides better visuals is ridiculous.

Again, you are mistaking what I am saying. I never said DLSS is better than native 4K, I'm saying DLSS should normally be better than down-scaling 4K. E.g., does DLSS give better image quality than rendering at 1440P ? Yes in almost all cases, but some artifacts. Is the performance better than native 4k? yes.

Permabanned
It's a bit soon to be calling DLSS dead, I think it'll go the way of Phys-X where you don't see it that often, It's possible it could also become an integral part of Ray-tracing not an individual feature, or it may go the way of the Dodo if it's not needed in future generations of RTX cards, that'll depend on how quickly Nvidia's RT cores develop, I think I've covered all my bases. Damn, maybe I can get a job at WCCF tech. :rolleyes:

Soldato
Ray tracing isn't an Nvidia feature though. I suspect games will start using an open source implementation and then it will vanish.

Caporegime
Ray tracing isn't an Nvidia feature though. I suspect games will start using an open source implementation and then it will vanish.

Nvidia is the only hardware provider to offer hardware acceleration.

Nvidia already supports open source RTX on Vulcan, I don;t get your point. The API is completely irrelevant to the hardware.

Soldato
You can't use DLSS with the DX or Vulkan implementations of RT though. DLSS is part of gameworks, it has to be the RTX brand of ray-tracing as they have developed them to work together.

Last edited:
Soldato

Actually that isn't what RIS is about. Reshade even with the FX CAS, applies it to the whole image not only the pixels needed, and doesn't support upscaling like RIS on Navi does.

Again, you are mistaking what I am saying. I never said DLSS is better than native 4K, I'm saying DLSS should normally be better than down-scaling 4K. E.g., does DLSS give better image quality than rendering at 1440P ? Yes in almost all cases, but some artifacts. Is the performance better than native 4k? yes.

Sorry mate but DLSS quality is GPU depending. A 2080Ti 4K DLSS image quality is far superior to what we get with 2060, 2070 even 2080, even if the game is on same settings.
You cannot say "DLSS gives good performance boost and quality", when clearly that is the case only for the >£1000 GPU, and is a complete mess on anything bellow that.

The video from HU proved that the other day, in addition to some people posting images from 2080Ti using DLSS on the same game (BFV).
The 2080Ti 4K DLSS images (from the same Tiger tank), are close to the 5700XT using upscaling from 3200x1800 + Sharpening, while the 2070 4K DLSS, shows poor low textures.
And all on same game settings.

Similarly is the case with Metro Exodus, a game where DLSS is been implemented much better by Nvidia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom