Buying a diesel

Associate
OP
To be fair to the Qashqai it's not really awful at all? In the trim level we're looking at it has plenty of toys such as dual zone climate control, panaramic sunroof, heated seats, reversing camera, cruise, auto wipers, leather, bluetooth etc.

We have also found it to have more space than most of its rivals as well. Granted, the engine doesn't exactly offer an exciting range of options but they're all appropriate for the purpose of the car.

As a 'white good' I was actually very impressed at how awful it actually isn't, especially given the budget we're working with.

Soldato
I miss our old qashqai +2 it was an 09 2 litre petrol. Had loads of room for stuff, high up driving position and wasn’t particularly awful to drive. I mean it’s not going to set the world alight performance wise but it’s good at what it’s been built for. :) I’d definitely go back to one in future if we wanted a bigger car again. Although they don’t make a +2 in its newest form.

Soldato
I have no idea what the Caddy are like but my parents have/had a fair few vehicles with VW 2.0 TDIs and they are generally reasonably refined, quiet and smooth.

It's more than the power band is very small so it's very hard to drive it smoothly, you need to rev the nuts of it and go way past the power band otherwise you're off the turbo when you change gear and then you get a great big woosh of torque again after about 5 seconds of nothing, i just find it very tiring to drive compared to a petrol car.

I think perhaps as it's a 102bhp version in a van it's map is very limited so the higher power versions in passenger cars might not be as much of a pig to drive. I've had other diesels which were far better to drive, the 1.5 DCi in Nissans and Renaults is far far better as was the 1.4 D4D in my old Yaris.

Soldato
or nothing would go wrong ? I don't see where all the negativity comes from ...
the car had 20k miles on it we got it for £7k .. if it lasts 4 yrs+ it's paid for itself ..

Those are some crazy maths figures

£15 every 2 weeks, you'll be saving about a fiver a month - £60 a year so after 4 years its saved you £240, not £7000

Soldato
lol what ??? 7k is what we paid for it .. and like I said if it lasts 4+ yrs then alls good ..

Thats not what you said though...

You said

if it lasts 4 yrs+ it's paid for itself ..

How has it "paid for itself" by saving you £60 a year?

These are the sort of mad mental gymnastics that mean people make silly decisions without any grounding in reality.

Permabanned
Thats not what you said though...

You said

How has it "paid for itself" by saving you £60 a year?

These are the sort of mad mental gymnastics that mean people make silly decisions without any grounding in reality.
WHO ARE YOU ?? and why have I made a silly decision buying a diesel car ? self-righteous forum warriors who think just because it's not for them it's not right ?
as long as my car last for 4+ yrs yes it's paid for itself .. I'm not talking about savings in fuel .. cheaper fuel bill is the extra ..
ffs it's a titanium ford .. which we got for the dogs to get them about .. 23 stone of French mastiff din't do well in a corsa .. and at the price point and millage it was a steal
but why the hell am I trying to explain myself to someone I don't even know ? your thoughts on the matter are only relevant to you .

Soldato
WHO ARE YOU ?? and why have I made a silly decision buying a diesel car ? self-righteous forum warriors who think just because it's not for them it's not right ?
as long as my car last for 4+ yrs yes it's paid for itself .. I'm not talking about savings in fuel .. cheaper fuel bill is the extra ..
ffs it's a titanium ford .. which we got for the dogs to get them about .. 23 stone of French mastiff din't do well in a corsa .. and at the price point and millage it was a steal
but why the hell am I trying to explain myself to someone I don't even know ? your thoughts on the matter are only relevant to you .

Someone on a forum you posted in?

You posted in a discussion about whether diesel is a good choice, dont get offended if people question your logic - which isnt that logical lol

Next time, do yourself a favour and do some proper calculations on how much you'll save in fuel - not really sure what a corsa or your dogs have to do with it, if you want a C max then that's cool but you'd have been better off with a petrol one for your usage. If you don't want to listen or understand that, that's your choice and doesn't affect me in the slightest - but other people read these threads and we don't want them getting bad ideas. You're the one who feels the need to keep justifying it.. I'm not asking you to, just calling you out on the nonsensical stuff

Last edited:
Soldato
To be fair to the Qashqai it's not really awful at all? In the trim level we're looking at it has plenty of toys such as dual zone climate control, panaramic sunroof, heated seats, reversing camera, cruise, auto wipers, leather, bluetooth etc.

We have also found it to have more space than most of its rivals as well. Granted, the engine doesn't exactly offer an exciting range of options but they're all appropriate for the purpose of the car.

As a 'white good' I was actually very impressed at how awful it actually isn't, especially given the budget we're working with.

I had a top spec one as a hire car a while ago and HATED it, couldn't want to had it back. I appreciate its a white good in a sense that it exists to do a simple job and stir any loins. I couldn't put my hand on it fully though, some of the handling characteristics felt almost dangerous. Have a decent length test drive in one, I'd personally describe them as awful but I know I'm not the target audience.

Soldato
as long as my car last for 4+ yrs yes it's paid for itself

Stating a car cost £7K and will pay for itself over 4 years means it needs to generate 7K of savings over 4 years vs your previous car.

Using your stated figures of £7.50/wk for fuel or £1560 over 4 years (ignoring variation in price/mpg), insurance £21/m (who buys a 7K car and pays a £250 insurance policy monthly?) or £1008 over 4 years (again ignoring change) and £35/yr VED or £140 over 4 years. That means your running costs excluding servicing/repairs are £2,708 over 4 years or £56.41/m average. Your Corsa would need to be (like for like) costing you about 3.6x as much or north of £200/month to get close to saving you £7K, which seems highly dubious. Nothing you've posted in subsequent replies suggests that your grasp of english is any less questionable than your maths skills.

Soldato
Stating a car cost £7K and will pay for itself over 4 years ....
We understood .... he wasn't saying that. -
If anything , compare the total/all-in running costs between the two vehicles - with 2019 vehicles seems to be 4years10K/year 1.4i corsa 36p, c-max 1.5tdci 62p/mile.
depreciation curves and maintenance obviously a tougher call on an older vehicle

Soldato
The realistic comparison isn't old car vs new car, there's lots of reasons someone might want to change.
It's between petrol and diesel - certainly for the context of this thread. At that age, often petrols are more expensive than diesels due to rarity but if you assume purchase price is the same, the sensible consideration is whether the fuel savings are worth the potential headaches. The risk is 2 fold as if you're doing really low miles (like he is) then the type of driving is more likely to *cause* problems. I dont know if those still have eolys fluid but that can be £400+ to replace and that's a routine service item - which equates to about 6 years of savings for him!

This is general advice and not picking on flea.rider (despite his anger), its just a risk/reward game. If you're doing 15k miles per year your savings are probably in the £500-£600/year region. I dont see Euro6 diesels being a problem in cities other than London any time soon, so I'd still consider it for that sort of mileage - especially in the used car market with the media coverage and petrol rarity making them the cheaper option to purchase.

Soldato
Get an efficient small engine turbo model if there is one, ideally with big cars your better off with big engine or something fairly powerful still even in a small engine size.

Back
Top Bottom