What to put on a cv with 5 year career gap?

Soldato
I'm trying to help out a friend,

She worked as a manager of small teams in IT and other areas,she has worked in various countries

She lost a baby, lost her mother got together with what I call an emotional abuser nothing physical but he destroyed her confidence (without being horrible just little things probably unintentional)

Her last job was 5 years ago, in the mean time she has live off rent from the 1.5 houses she owns..

Any serious advice of how to fill in this 5 year gap, she is a really nice girl I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks in advance guys

Caporegime
Don’t try to fill it, leave it as a gap in employment, she doesn’t need to give all the details per say. Sometimes life doesn’t go well and most people should be sympathetic, just one of those is sufficient explanation if she feels like giving some details - did she help look after her mother etc... caring for a relative in itself could explain a gap.

I’d perhaps just leave it brief, something like [time off for personal issues including caring for an elderly relative] (or perhaps a better worded statement along those lines)

I’d not volunteer anything mental health related at interview however if asked about conditions/disability etc... after receiving an offer then it perhaps is an idea to mention it if it has the possibility of potentially leading to periods of absence going forwards.

Soldato
Dowie has answered it very well. Only thing I could add is to suggest she has an answer ready for the "what have you done to keep current in IT" question that is very likely to come up. If she's going for management roles the need to know the details isn't there, but having an overview of some of the current hot technologies are and what they bring to a business should be in her head. Impossible to know them all, but take the time for a good read up on whatever shows up in the job adverts she applies for.

On the "any serious advice" part: this isn't GD and this forum was created to move the discussions on careers out of there. I'd expect the mods to slap any stupid comments down. Just use the report button.

Soldato
Agree with both of the above. Just put something like "Career break to care for family member" or something. If I read a CV with that on and everything else checked out then I'd be excited that here was an opportunity to catch someone good on their return to work.

Soldato
OP
thanks for the reply's, i've done a bit of reading on job sites as well, the correct answer seems to be leave the blank on the CV, in the covering letter briefly explain the reason (sick mother), also possibly explain why this job is a good job to get back into work.

After a little more reading, possibly add the break with date on the CV, with very brief info, then in the covering letter say why this role would be well suited after 5 years out of the market, i'm thinking this might be slightly better...

though im still interested to hear what other people think,

Caporegime
I'd say don't just leave it empty on the CV with no explanation - at least acknowledge it even if only with a brief/one line reference to it.

Cover letters might not get read or passed on, candidates might be reduced to a final list and CV's copied across to managers etc.. minus cover letters etc... I mean you'd hope they are read etc.. but I'd not leave the CV with anything unexplained like that. The cover letter is more useful for just conveying your interest in that role/company, highlighting specifics etc...

Back
Top Bottom