Renewing photocard driving licence

Soldato
I just tried to renew my photocard licence online but because my passport has only expired it won't let me. It seems I have to go and do it at the post office tomorrow. Bit annoying as it's only £14 online and £21.50 at the post office.

I'm just wondering if I can drive between now and getting to the post office? I've got somewhere I need to go to today.

It says on the DVLA reminder form I received that if I don't use one of the payment options I might lose entitlement to drive, or pay a £1000 fine, or not get motor insurance, or face prosecution if stopped by police.

And it also says 'Driving while we have your application'. You can drive before you get your updated licence as long as you are not disqualified or have any specific medical conditions. Which I don't.

But they don't have my application because it was refused as the passport was invalid.

Man of Honour
Has your license actually expired? If yes then no you cannot legally drive as you have an expired licence and no application being processed.

Soldato
OP
Has your license actually expired? If yes then no you cannot legally drive as you have an expired licence and no application being processed.

It has expired yes. On the front of the photocard it shows 14-07-09 to 13-07-19. It's my fault for leaving it so late. I could have renewed it a week ago online when my passport was still valid.

On the back of the card however it shows this info valid till 2029.
https://i.postimg.cc/wTGF9c6t/20190714-122647.jpg
And on my old attached paper licence, it shows this
https://i.postimg.cc/Yq5gXXrx/20190714-122735.jpg

But I guess that 2029 date still doesn't mean I can drive.

Man of Honour
Actually a bit of a complicated one, not updating details like this does not invalidate your license and failing to do so normally won't result in your license being removed - at this point you are still entitled to drive however the main issue is if you don't update details with the DVLA that are relevant to identifying and contacting the driver you can be fined upto £1000 - it could be an expensive trip if caught but if the photo still is identifiable as you it would likely be less than £1000.

I'd get to the post office as soon as you can as if they have a proper booth for doing it then it is very quick and easy.

Soldato
OP
Actually a bit of a complicated one, not updating details like this does not invalidate your license and failing to do so normally won't result in your license being removed - at this point you are still entitled to drive however the main issue is if you don't update details with the DVLA that are relevant to identifying and contacting the driver you can be fined upto £1000 - it could be an expensive trip if caught but if the photo still is identifiable as you it would likely be less than £1000.

I'd get to the post office as soon as you can as if they have a proper booth for doing it then it is very quick and easy.

Sounds good. No, none of my contact details have changed and the photo is still identifiable as me, albeit a 10 year old photo. So given that, are you saying I can legally drive today? I've got a 70 mile round trip to make.

Man of Honour
Sounds good. No, none of my contact details have changed and the photo is still identifiable as me, albeit a 10 year old photo. So given that, are you saying I can legally drive today? I've got a 70 mile round trip to make.

You can legally drive your license hasn't been revoked - but they can also legally fine you for driving without upto date details. They shouldn't endorse your license or seize the vehicle and your insurance shouldn't be invalidated.

They really should give you more notice of this, its outrageous you've only got 10 years to prepare :D

As an aside about half of those issued a photo driving license for the first time around ~2001 (which includes me) were not informed at any stage what the date 4b meant and were not sent renewal notification. DVLA actually admitted this somewhere but I can't find it from a quick look.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Soldato
I said they have the answer, I didn’t state what the answer was in this case, the document makes it clear under what criteria section 88 would apply, but irrespective you’d also need to confirm your insurer was willing to provide cover. My fathers wasn’t, even though DVLA confirmed he was covered by section 88 while awaiting a medical decision.

Man of Honour
That document doesn't cover this case though as his application was refused and he currently doesn't have another application in process. Insurance can be a tricky one in this context and worth checking a specific insurers policies.

Soldato
That document doesn't cover this case though as his application was refused and he currently doesn't have another application in process. Insurance can be a tricky one in this context and worth checking a specific insurers policies.

Did you actually read it or just skim it? It clearly states under what circumstances DVLA state you can continue to drive (section 88), it also clearly states that if you don't meet the criteria, you can't - how exactly doesn't that cover this situation? I made no statement as to the op's current entitlement to continue to drive or otherwise, simply that the publication held the answer, which it does. I then cautioned that he would still need to confirm with his insurance company that they were willing to continue to offer cover in the event he is under a section 88 exemption, as they likely will stipulate that they are supposed to be notified. It's unlikely they will care, but if you sign up to disclose any and all pertinent information, then being aware you technically don't have a current driving licence is something that needs to be disclosed.

Soldato
OP
Well I had no choice today, I was booked for something and had to drive there. Just got home and fortunately all was ok. I drove very carefully.
As long as I didn't unknowingly drive past any cameras that automatically log all number plates and do DVLA checks (are there such things outside of congestion zones?) then I'm fine and will go to the post office tomorrow.

Soldato
You're worrying too much. I found out mine had been expired for a month a week before I was due on a 2 week road trip to France. :D

Man of Honour
Well I had no choice today, I was booked for something and had to drive there. Just got home and fortunately all was ok. I drove very carefully.
As long as I didn't unknowingly drive past any cameras that automatically log all number plates and do DVLA checks (are there such things outside of congestion zones?) then I'm fine and will go to the post office tomorrow.
I'm pretty sure the only time you'd hit an issue is if pulled over and they physically check.

Back
Top Bottom