Lorry driver tried to run me into oncoming traffic

Soldato
were you in front/beside/behind him at the junction when stopped? or approaching on a green light?

from the sounds of it the haulage company are being very apologetic so won't be a problem getting car fixed..

Soldato
Police 100%

Son of a *****, doing something like that.

People like that, I think I would have been tempted to try and pull him out of the cab and... Well not helping this thread.

Police 100%, should be behind bars let alone driving professionally.

Let us know please the outcome.

Soldato
Happens to me at least twice a week.

The amount of people who can’t stay in their lane on roundabouts and junctions is amazing. Also being in the complete wrong lane and cutting me up/almost smacking into the side of me.

And lane hoggers, especially the ones who speed up when there’s space to pull in and let you past then slow down again once they’re overtaking. **** off.

Caporegime
i was parked on a junction waiting to turn right when a lorry came reversing round the corner straight into me.

the driver had just been out the lorry asking for directions and parked up on the side. he got in. never checked any mirrors and just slammed it into reverse.

he then proceeded to say it was my fault because he used to work for an insurance company. i came out of nowhere apparently. he refused to give me his contact / insurance details and told me to call his firm. yet insisted i give mine which i did. he wanted me to admit fault which i refused to do so as i was stationary and he was the one reversing around a corner into me. he then basically said well i have a witness in the lorry with me so it's 2 vs 1 and i worked for "name of a well known insurance company" and you will lose and i'm happy for my insurer to fight you, etc.

basically the guy was a complete bell end who never even once asked if i was okay or the damage to the car yet his 5 tonne lorry barely had a scratch.

well when i phoned his firm they weren't too pleased he had a passenger in the lorry with him. apparently only he was meant to be in the lorry. i don't know if this invalidated their insurance or not. but the manager at the firm said he would be looking to sack him citing disciplinary not only for his actions but the fact he also had someone in the lorry with him who shouldn't have been in there.

i didn't need to get the police involved and my insurance sorted it all and his was held liable.

i did have to write a full statement to the haulage firm and provided the same statement to my insurance.

Underboss
i was parked on a junction waiting to turn right when a lorry came reversing round the corner straight into me.

the driver had just been out the lorry asking for directions and parked up on the side. he got in. never checked any mirrors and just slammed it into reverse.

he then proceeded to say it was my fault because he used to work for an insurance company. i came out of nowhere apparently. he refused to give me his contact / insurance details and told me to call his firm. yet insisted i give mine which i did. he wanted me to admit fault which i refused to do so as i was stationary and he was the one reversing around a corner into me. he then basically said well i have a witness in the lorry with me so it's 2 vs 1 and i worked for "name of a well known insurance company" and you will lose and i'm happy for my insurer to fight you, etc.

basically the guy was a complete bell end who never even once asked if i was okay or the damage to the car yet his 5 tonne lorry barely had a scratch.

well when i phoned his firm they weren't too pleased he had a passenger in the lorry with him. apparently only he was meant to be in the lorry. i don't know if this invalidated their insurance or not. but the manager at the firm said he would be looking to sack him citing disciplinary not only for his actions but the fact he also had someone in the lorry with him who shouldn't have been in there.

i didn't need to get the police involved and my insurance sorted it all and his was held liable.

i did have to write a full statement to the haulage firm and provided the same statement to my insurance.

why !!

i work in a public sector and outside our yard there is a gate for deliveries and a "turning circle" that needs to be kept clear at all times
everyone parks there even though there is a sign in the middle of the turning circle not to park there!

ive seen so many odd things whilst reversing and unloading lorries, its amazing how many people in this world are idiots like the above

this is why i bought a dashcam 2 years ago, Front AND back

Caporegime
You met a moron, let the insurance deal with it and move on.

Some Truck drivers can be absolute cretins, it pays to stay back from one in the situation you described in case of the exact outcome that happened to you.

I’d put money on it being a Tipper truck.

I’m not defending him, had one do a similar thing to me last week, I was in a 44t artic yet he still felt he could barge is way over!

Caporegime

Only thing I would mention is, go back to the junction and double check the signage, and road markings actually on location is the same as google maps.

i have no idea of this junction in the OP in particular, but many roundabouts and junctions in this area have been changed recently,and google maps is about 3 to 4 years out of date.

A friend had almost an identical incident about 6 months ago, and swore blind the junction allowed a right turn and straight on from the right hand lane approach.

However on going back saw the signage and road markings had been changed to right turn only, so they were completely in the wrong when going straight on and having a large tanker run down the side of them, and had to stump up all their own repair costs.

Associate
First thing it's classed as hit and run if don't stop and also refusing to give details =12points
Hitting you in rear half of car puts them more at fault.
Intimidating with vehicle more points =Police matter ASAP get it on record

Back
Top Bottom