Ripping audio CDs to server...?

Soldato
I want to rip my CD collection to my file server to then be served by Plex.

Any recommendations for software to use to rip and assists with naming folders/tracks after import if possible?

Quality wise, I do not mind how big the rips are but no point wasting 99% extra space for only 2% sound improvement if that makes sense.

Thanks.

Soldato
EAC with LAME MP3 is pretty good. bledd. had a good packaged installer a few years ago. Most CDs are on the freeDB server so you can get the tracks named that way and have EAC put albums like "Album Artist\Album Name\Track Number - Track Name" etc. MP3Tag probably helps with this but as I label my CDs before I rip with EAC, I don't need a post-rip naming utility.

Soldato
indeed it's that laborious aspect that puts me off - How fast can you rip them then ? and maintain an accurate copy.
The spec on 506bb drive I have says 40x ,but, I doubt it will take <3minutes.

( Although I would keep the originals, archiving the digital copy is another issue .. had contemplated bd-r)

Soldato
aren't most encoders by default running VBR, would similarly use 320 aac for home, if not flac, but have cut stuff down to 192aac for car/mobile use.

I keep meaning to experiment with ogg/webm used by utube which is supposedly as good as aac, but, I don't beliewv my phone will hardware decode that.

Associate
I actually do, but thanks for making me double check it wasn't school holidays.

Actually you dont. Your another lone crusader spouting a very narrow minded opinion with no statement of facts or examples.

Though I may be wrong because since the internet everything anyone reads online is fact.

But then again, all those decades of proffesional and domestic audio engineering proven as foo because someone online states a budget Alesis 300w pro amp hooked up to a pair of Warfdale Dentons with 192 mp3 files on an mp3 player sounds as good as a proffesional pmc bb5 studio install fronted by the latest Nagra or DCS front end running high res DSD music files.

Soldato
Actually you dont. Your another lone crusader spouting a very narrow minded opinion with no statement of facts or examples.

Though I may be wrong because since the internet everything anyone reads online is fact.

But then again, all those decades of proffesional and domestic audio engineering proven as foo because someone online states a budget Alesis 300w pro amp hooked up to a pair of Warfdale Dentons with 192 mp3 files on an mp3 player sounds as good as a proffesional pmc bb5 studio install fronted by the latest Nagra or DCS front end running high res DSD music files.
I think we're cut from different cloths, my decades of audio experience, including a degree and a respective award for said degree in Audio Processing, Digital Speech and Signals probably doesn't make me a lone crusader who read something on the internet. But again, thanks for making me go up into the loft and check my credentials. It was nostalgic.

Soldato
I think we're cut from different cloths, my decades of audio experience, including a degree and a respective award for said degree in Audio Processing, Digital Speech and Signals probably doesn't make me a lone crusader who read something on the internet. But again, thanks for making me go up into the loft and check my credentials. It was nostalgic.

Not trying to side one way or the other but it's just words. What about some reference links that us nerds can dig down into and try to digest?

Associate
Problem is the internet already proved to both camps were talking trash while manufacturers still made equipment and cables and claims.

Degrees and awards in audio are as worthless as the claims made by many.

Just look at how many "experts" ruin good albums with their opinion on remastering because technology allows them to push the sliders further.

But then again, if they cant hear a difference in mp3 bit rate versus dsd, they had no chance with lf traffic noise or removing dynamic contrasts.

Back
Top Bottom