Heartbreak and ballache, vega 56

Associate
So here goes,

Finally got round to my build, bought from overclockers last weekend. Got around to building it lastnight. After a few hiccups and mini heart attacks I finally thought I had got somewhere. Powered up fine, fans running, motherboard lighting up as well as my vega (no fans spinning, dunno if that indicates a problem). The smile on my face was like holding my newborn for the 1st time, I'd finally done it, I'd created life! Until I plugged in my monitor that is. No signal, no bloody signal after trying every god damn port known to man!
Now I'm hoping some of you can give me some good news and just tell me that it could be something as simple as taking out my extension cables, or using two cable slots from my power supply unit rather than the single that splits into two nears the graphics card. A little good news while I'm at work would really save my mind from explosion before I end up going home and tearing it back down to bare shell to start again. It got far too late and my head was no longer in the game to continue before an early start at work

Specs
Asus vg278q monitor
Ryzen 5 3600
Wraith stealth cooler
Amd B450 Tomahawk motherboard
Corsair vengeance ddr4 3000mhz
Sapphire pulse vega 56
Corsair 650 semi mod power supply

Seriously i would be grateful of any help whether that's talk of actually saving my sanity, or setting the mofo on fire

Associate
OP
Mother******!!!! And that is why I came to ask you guys. Excitement obviously got a hold of me lastnight. Does it need to be stripped back to bare board to be updated?

Your a life saver by the way

Associate
As orbitalwalsh stated above, ensure you've updated to a Ryzen 3000 compatible BIOS:
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-TOMAHAWK#down-bios

Now I'm hoping some of you can give me some good news and just tell me that it could be something as simple as taking out my extension cables, or using two cable slots from my power supply unit rather than the single that splits into two nears the graphics card.
Yes, also use 2 totally separate cables to connect PSU to GPU. Monitor should plug into one of the GPU ports (ignore all the display outputs from the motherboard). Cable is known to be working?

What extension cables are you using?

Associate
Mother******!!!! And that is why I came to ask you guys. Excitement obviously got a hold of me lastnight. Does it need to be stripped back to bare board to be updated?

Your a life saver by the way
You're in luck. The MSI B450 Tomahawk has the Flash BIOS Button, so you can simply use a USB stick to update the BIOS without installing a CPU, memory or graphics card:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTkXunUAriE

But you can still leave CPU, RAM, GPU installed, that's fine too.

Associate
OP
Yeah I think orbitalwalsh has hit the nail on the head, strip it back down and start again, got myself too excited after work yesterday and just got stuck in.
Extension cables I'm using are the CableMod PRO from OC. The displayport cable i tried to use was brand new in the packaging, the HDMI cable I used I stripped from my Xbox1x about 5 minutes before hand so know it was working there.
Today is gonna be a long day waiting to go home to sort it out now

Il keep you guys updated, thanks for the help. I'm sure it wont be the last time I ask for it

Associate
OP
Hopefully il try and flash it with cpu ram and gpu still installed, it's only a 5 minute job that could save me a whole lot of work stripping it down, thank you

Associate
OP
The worrying part is that MSI seems to have acknowledged that their current BIOS versions for the B450 Tomahawk are problematic when paired with a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU:
https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ce3ift/msi_b450_tomahawk_update/
Fingers crossed you don't end up having the same problem.

Thanks for that, will give me something to read through while trying to make the day go by, unfortunately for me, if it wasnt for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. That's just the way my life goes

Associate
I will caveat my post by saying that I haven't tested this myself as I don't currently have a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU.

I read 2 different people post that they had an MSI B450 motherboard with a 3rd gen Ryzen CPU working OK on a 3rd gen compatible BIOS. But when they decided to try enabling an XMP pre-set for their RAM, saved BIOS settings and restarted, then they were never able to get it to boot up again. I think both gave up trying to troubleshoot and just RMA'd the motherboard. No idea whether this is coincidence or anything, but you might want to research that a bit as well.

I'd certainly be interested in knowing how your experience works out for your combo. All the best!

Associate
OP
Iv been reading though the thread you posted earlier and a lot of people are having the same trouble, which is unfortunate for me. For some reason it won't let me comment on the thread to ask if I used a ryzen 2600 or similar on the board instead of the 3600 would that work until MSI work out what the hell has gone wrong?

Man of Honour
A lot of it seems to do with enabling XMP from the couple of posts I have read so for the time being leave XMP disabled and enter the correct timings, speed and voltage for the memory manually. When MSI get's things sorted out you can then enable XMP.

Associate
OP
A lot of it seems to do with enabling XMP from the couple of posts I have read so for the time being leave XMP disabled and enter the correct timings, speed and voltage for the memory manually. When MSI get's things sorted out you can then enable XMP.

Nice one, thanks for that. I'm a massive noob when it comes to it, this is my 1st ever build so I'm pretty scared of what's gonna happen and if iv just wasted a shed load of money. Iv a friend coming over tonight to help me sort this part of the build out. So il make sure to let him know

Soldato
Iv been reading though the thread you posted earlier and a lot of people are having the same trouble, which is unfortunate for me. For some reason it won't let me comment on the thread to ask if I used a ryzen 2600 or similar on the board instead of the 3600 would that work until MSI work out what the hell has gone wrong?
The 2600 would work out of the box on that board - no BIOS flash required.

And this ^^^ is solid advice - do as much as you can to avoid conflict until latest (out of BETA) BIOS release.

You still have to consider user error with a lot of reporteded problems - but there clearly are some issues with the BIOS and lack of eeprom space.

Recommend you use a 8Gb pen stick if you have it (smaller than 32Gb at least) - freshly 'fat 32' formatted with only the BIOS (renamed) installed for when you do flash.

Associate
OP
The 2600 would work out of the box on that board - no BIOS flash required.

And this ^^^ is solid advice - do as much as you can to avoid conflict until latest (out of BETA) BIOS release.

Thank you so much, il keep you updated when I get round to doing it tonight, worse case scenario il go out and buy a 2600 and just make do till they work out the mess

Soldato
See edit in above post - re: pendrive advice

I'll add that @Journey has been playing with this exact board and has been pushing the board/CPU/memory to their limits and the board hasn't missed a beat. So, not all horror stories out there...

*Additional, personally i would flash the board (using flashback) with minimum components installed - basically as described in video. Eliminate as much cross contamination as possible...

Last edited:
Associate
OP
See edit in above post - re: pendrive advice

I'll add that @Journey has been playing with this exact board and has been pushing the board/CPU/memory to their limits and the board hasn't missed a beat. So, not all horror stories out there...

*Additional, personally i would flash the board (using flashback) with minimum components installed - basically as described in video. Eliminate as much cross contamination as possible...

Thanks a bunch, il call on the way home for an 8gb one. I would have been using a 32 otherwise

Soldato
Thanks a bunch, il call on the way home for an 8gb one. I would have been using a 32 otherwise
It may have worked - but i've noticed issues with larger pen drives even with regular BIOS updates (and has been noted with this board too - but could be brand specific) - i've always found smaller, simple drives less temperamental/easier for motherboards to recognise.

Back
Top Bottom