Ebola outbreak in DRC is now an 'International concern'

Soldato
The best thing we can do for Africa is pull out entirely and leave them to their own devices for the next 100 years or so. Hopefully by then some kind of civilization has formed naturally.

It's us pumping money endless amounts of money and supplies in to it which is keeping it so unstable. They have become reliant on outside support, at the same time as hating everyone trying to help them.

Last edited:
Caporegime
The best thing we can do for Africa is pull out entirely and leave them to their own devices for the next 100 years or so. Hopefully by then some kind of civilization has formed naturally.

It's us pumping money endless amounts of money and supplies in to it which is keeping it so unstable. They have become reliant on outside support, at the same time as hating everyone trying to help them.

Are you saying that all Africans are like this?

Man of Honour
Nope, there are some great Africans. But as a society they need to have a word with themselves because it's a real mess.

Part of the issue is that Africa is not "a society". It's a multitude of different societies. It's a very big place and extremely far from being unified. The idea of "African" is a recent and foreign concept and not at all realistic. Treating the whole thing as one place is inaccurate and only causes problems. There are vast variations in every way and a dizzying multitude of deeply engrained conflicts. What's needed first is lack of war, then peace, then co-operation, then alliance, then maybe gradual unification if they want it to be a real unification. Some African countries are already at various places in the "alliance" part of the spectrum. There is an African Union that's broadly like the European Union (with all the same advantages and disadvantages, of course). Forcing the pace of unification rarely ends well and can only be done with a lot of force and as far as I know only works by conquest. Many African countries are doing all right and are on a good path to generally mutually beneficial relationships with each other. A better path than pretending a huge continent is one society and unified when it isn't.

Caporegime
Part of the issue is that Africa is not "a society". It's a multitude of different societies. It's a very big place and extremely far from being unified. The idea of "African" is a recent and foreign concept and not at all realistic. Treating the whole thing as one place is inaccurate and only causes problems. There are vast variations in every way and a dizzying multitude of deeply engrained conflicts. What's needed first is lack of war, then peace, then co-operation, then alliance, then maybe gradual unification if they want it to be a real unification. Some African countries are already at various places in the "alliance" part of the spectrum. There is an African Union that's broadly like the European Union (with all the same advantages and disadvantages, of course). Forcing the pace of unification rarely ends well and can only be done with a lot of force and as far as I know only works by conquest. Many African countries are doing all right and are on a good path to generally mutually beneficial relationships with each other. A better path than pretending a huge continent is one society and unified when it isn't.

A union doesn't need to be unified on everything, nor does it explicitly need to be a single society, otherwise Texas wouldn't have found it advantageous to join the US (the US didn't even want it), that said the US was largely "new" and far easier to mould than the thousands of groups in Africa.

Man of Honour
A union doesn't need to be unified on everything, nor does it explicitly need to be a single society, otherwise Texas wouldn't have found it advantageous to join the US (the US didn't even want it), that said the US was largely "new" and far easier to mould than the thousands of groups in Africa.

Arguably true(*), but irrelevant to my point that the person I was replying to was wrong to describe all of Africa as one society. It's also not a counter to anything else I wrote.

* I would argue that a partial union is a significantly different thing to a full union.

Man of Honour
Doctor: There are two ways you can catch Ebola you either ate infected monkeys or you had sex with infected monkeys.

Ebola patient: I ate the monkey, yep definitely the eating one.

Ebola is transmissable from person to person, which is why it's a problem serious enough to be an international concern.

You're mistaking infection today with the initial species jump, which could have occured in numerous situations including pure chance and was probably from fruit bats, not monkeys.

Soldato
Ebola is transmissable from person to person, which is why it's a problem serious enough to be an international concern.

You're mistaking infection today with the initial species jump, which could have occured in numerous situations including pure chance and was probably from fruit bats, not monkeys.

So confusing, I don't know if I should be burying the monkey and eating the hooker or the other way round now.. Already had sex with both so I guess I'm ******

Caporegime
So confusing, I don't know if I should be burying the monkey and eating the hooker or the other way round now.. Already had sex with both so I guess I'm ******

gotta be careful re: HIV/AIDS too... that may have started with monkeys too

Caporegime

Most of Africa would have been happy with that in the 60s-80s, where most of the foreign “aid” coming in was aimed at fighting the proxy war between the US and USSR.

Soldato

It was a joke :p and why the hell would you screw a fruit bat.:D

Soldato
It was a joke :p and why the hell would you screw a fruit bat.:D

I'm sure he knew it was a joke, but the likelihood of the virus passing from animal to humans would have come from fruit bats. Whilst fruit bats obviously don't eat humans, it is a possibility that they could still bite a human and pass over the virus. That or someone handling the fruit bat had an open wound which allowed for much easier infection.

Something i read a while back suggested that as civilisation in African nations starts to spread out more, people are starting to come across and live in habitats that used to be occupied by animals that they might not necessarily have come into contact with before.

Back
Top Bottom