Firestick using higher amp plug

Soldato
I am looking at buying an extension lead with USB sockets and plan to use the usb sockets to power my firestick as opposed to using the Amazon plug. The USB sockets on the extension lead are rated at 2.1a, the Amazon plug is 1a.

I previously had a firestick that died after 2 days, I used with my Anker usb charger plug, not sure if it was because of that.

But my question is does anyone know if its safe to use a 2.1a usb socket with a Firestick? Googling around given much info, don't want to brick the device.

Thanks

Soldato
Current doesn’t work that way.

If your device needs 1 Amp and the source/supply can only supply 0.75 Amp, it won’t work correctly, if at all.

If your device needs 1 Amp the source/supply can supply 2 Amps, your device will draw the 1 Amp it needs to operate and the source has an easy life.

Soldato
yes .. it draws what it wants ... BUT IF the amazon specific one provides a more constant voltage under the current demand of the device, then the firestick could be more reliable/stable long term ... in the extreme - I wouldn't attach a usb fan, or a laptop say to other usb sockets on the same supply.
... so I wouldn't attach the firestick to an arbitrary usb supply.

[ I had looked at getting a better linear usb supply for my chromecast audio .. to 'improve' audio quality.]

edit: stating more clearly .. when you are using usb supply for just charging another device with its own batteries (most of the time), the quality/stability of the supply is usually less important than where you are supplying a device without its own batteries (like stick)

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
yes .. it draws what it wants ... BUT IF the amazon specific one provides a more constant voltage under the current demand of the device, then the firestick could be more reliable/stable long term ... in the extreme - I wouldn't attach a usb fan, or a laptop say to other usb sockets on the same supply.
... so I wouldn't attach the firestick to an arbitrary usb supply.

[ I had looked at getting a better linear usb supply for my chromecast audio .. to 'improve' audio quality.]

edit: stating more clearly .. when you are using usb supply for just charging another device with its own batteries (most of the time), the quality/stability of the supply is usually less important than where you are supplying a device without its own batteries (like stick)

Hmm, that doesn't sound encouraging, I do plan on using the extension lead to charge my phone with. It has three USB sockets, so one will have the firestick, the other for charging devices. It's arriving today so I guess there is only one way to find out, the stick is still under warranty.

Back
Top Bottom