Music sorting & updating

Soldato
Hi all,

My wife is an ex-dancer and loves her music. Over the years her massive cd collection has been ripped down to individual tracks (a mixture of format types depending on what software she used) and in some cases, a whole cd has been ripped to a single track meaning you can't jump through it.

It's ******* me off no end and it needs sorting.

We're talking nearly 8,000 tracks and 41Gb in size. There's many duplicates as well as she'll have various CD's of an artist such as Pink, and there will be tracks that sit on different cd's.

So, can anyone recommend any software, even if it's different software for different areas that can:

Identify duplicates.

Create playlists from the album tracks so I can just had a single artist in a single folder regardless of the album it was on.

Bulk change of file types, which is best to use keeping in mind some have good and bad bitrates.

Can be used for ripping apart cd length tracks to individual tracks

most importantly, automatically identifying tracks, updating the name and file info so that it display's correctly in media players.

Soldato
I don't think there is a one stop shop -

I have some multi track gapped music files that need breaking up into tracks, for which I plan to use audacity.

https://picard.musicbrainz.org/ then looks viable to fingerprint and tag those tracks, after which I will probably use plex as a framework to access them - playlists ....

some of the files are live rips, for which I expect I will have to manually identify the tracks starts, auto recognition will probably not work for these either, so I will have to manually tag them.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . There's many duplicates as well as she'll have various CD's of an artist such as Pink, and there will be tracks that sit on different CDs. . . .
I don't think that they would qualify / be identified as "duplicates" so far as any software is concerned - they would be unlikely to have the same "signature".

Soldato
the songs are usually identified as part of an album , in the context of the other tracks in same folder, except in my case (and maybe Aharveys) where unrelated tracks are first split out from one continuous music file.

Capodecina
Soldato
. . . f you're willing to put in the effort, i'd re-rip everything in FLAC using something like DBPoweramp. . . .
That is the sensible answer. You can also use dBpoweramp to convert the FLACS to MP3s if you must.

MP3tag will "export" a .CSV file containing details including Title, Artist, Pathname, and Filename. You can then use whatever spreadsheet program you favour to sort by the appropriate field.

Soldato
OP
thanks all, I may have a look at writing something in python to help.

Are there music databases like IMDB etc that can be referenced and have easy access to albums/artists/track info etc?

Back
Top Bottom