Your favourite bacon!

Soldato
Why are you not allowed much of it?

Because of dialysis there are so many diet restrictions. Sodium makes the body hold water, and there's limits to how much the machine can take out, and also how the body reacts to having water taken out. Last week I left on Friday at 90.5kg and arrived back on Monday at 94kg. And my body only let's them take out around 3.2litres. So I have to be careful.

100g of bacon has 565mg of potassium and 1717mg of sodium. That's a lot!

Caporegime
Because of dialysis there are so many diet restrictions. Sodium makes the body hold water, and there's limits to how much the machine can take out, and also how the body reacts to having water taken out. Last week I left on Friday at 90.5kg and arrived back on Monday at 94kg. And my body only let's them take out around 3.2litres. So I have to be careful.

100g of bacon has 565mg of potassium and 1717mg of sodium. That's a lot!
Oh yeah sorry, I forgot about your kidney problems. I have to watch my sodium too. Heart failure and water retention doesn’t really mix.

Soldato
Oh yeah sorry, I forgot about your kidney problems. I have to watch my sodium too. Heart failure and water retention doesn’t really mix.

That's ok. Yeah sodium is a big problem be careful!

I saw mcdonalds have a new bacon roll.. I'll probably never be able to have one of them. There's lots of things I can no longer eat, I haven't had coca-cola or chocolate since last year.

Caporegime
That's ok. Yeah sodium is a big problem be careful!

I saw mcdonalds have a new bacon roll.. I'll probably never be able to have one of them. There's lots of things I can no longer eat, I haven't had coca-cola or chocolate since last year.
Surely it’s all about moderation. I notice that if I have too much salt over a few days, my ankles swell at night. But then, if I lay off it for a few days, they go back to normal.

Would a solitary bacon roll really cause you that many problems?

Soldato
Surely it’s all about moderation. I notice that if I have too much salt over a few days, my ankles swell at night. But then, if I lay off it for a few days, they go back to normal.

Would a solitary bacon roll really cause you that many problems?

If everything has been going well and I've been eating the perfect diet, then yes one bacon sandwich maybe ok. For instance I saw the Dr on the day before my birthday and he said I had been doing so well I could have a can of coke and a bar of chocolate the next day. Unfortunately the next day they blew the vein in my arm 3 times, trying to connect me and I had to miss a day of treatment so that went out of the window.

The other thing to think about is that the transplant surgeons see all the info, so if they see i'm not taking the diet restrictions seriously that might influence their decision when a kidney becomes available. Some patients smoke weed, and this must get back to the surgeons as we are constantly monitored.

Soldato
Butcher in Ross on Wye sells lovely dry cured middle bacon. So thick lovely rind and fat on it. takes a long cook to get the rind crispy but the bacon is thick enough it doesn't burn. So bad for you but sooo good.

Soldato
Slight preference for streaky over back, and prefer smoked. What's important is that it's properly cooked. I want crispy bacon with rendered fat not steamed salty pork with a gelatinous rind.

Back
Top Bottom