• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is 5700 XT the highest end Navi GPU will see in 2019?

Associate
Looking back at Vega's launch in 2017, AMD only released 3 graphics cards for that series, aimed at consumers / gamers.

Before that with the 4000 series in 2016, we only got the RX 470 and RX 480 in the higher end

So, will Navi follow the same pattern in 2019 and just release 2-3 cards for this series?

I notice that so far, all the cards have the same 5700 number in their title, which is different to previous generations, e.g. Vega 56 and Vega 64.

This roadmap doesn't point to anything new until 2020:
https://images.anandtech.com/doci/11404/gpuroadmap_575px.png

Perhaps AMD has already squeezed all the performance they can out of 7nm, until 7nm+

Last edited:
Soldato
I would bet money on it. I don't think AMD will compete past 5700 XT before the 2nd half of 2020. I imagine they're a lot busier ramping up for consoles & keeping the pedal down to catch up in Pro markets than trying to compete with 2080 ti any time soon.

Man of Honour
AMD have said they have cleaned up their product naming. So 5700 XT means:

5 = The generation
7 = The position of the card in that generation
00 = Different speeds within that generation and card position
XT = Can't remember but I think it's a bit like an S and non-S variant

So there certainly will be a 5600 range and a 5800/5900 range. But we don't yet know whether it will be this year or next.

Associate
This youtuber seems to think the 5800 XT/5900 XT could be launched in 2019 (8m57+) :

Sounds like he's reading rather a lot in between the lines about Radeon VII going EOL and the confidence exuded by 'Scott from AMD' in his interview.

Associate
If and when 5800/5900 come out in 2019 will the price of the 5700xt dramatically go down or will it stay at 380 ish (basically current price what ever it is) for the 5700XT and 5800/5900 priced much higher ?

Associate
I suspect we're looking at 2020, but nothing's guaranteed. I would imagine they would want to wait for sales of the 5700 series to slow down, before releasing more cards.

Associate
OP
Interesting, maybe they will hold off until all the Radeon VII stock has been sold. I don't mind waiting until Q1 2020 to find out.

Only problem with this theory is the 5700 XT is already very similar in performance to the Radeon VII. So, from that perspective, people will already be buying the Navi GPUs and not the older more expensive Radeon VII's.

Last edited:
Soldato
Sooner rather than later I'd say. Judging by the owners thread on this forum (small sample size) and activity on other websites, the mid range 5700 series have not been selling well at all. Much of that is due to only the pathetic blower being available though.

Associate
the die size can grow a ways so in answer to OP yes nothing more in 2019, but imho Q2 2020 expect a larger and improved offering whether that is branded Navi or not who gives a rats ass tbh its the product price and capabilities that count.

Associate
OP
Sooner rather than later I'd say. Judging by the owners thread on this forum (small sample size) and activity on other websites, the mid range 5700 series have not been selling well at all. Much of that is due to only the pathetic blower being available though.

The temps of the 5700 XT seem alright to me. Apparently, they're ~76 celsius under load:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_5700_and_5700_xt_review,8.html

Are you talking about temps with overclocking applied? Or are you concerned it will wear out?

Soldato
The temps of the 5700 XT seem alright to me. Apparently, they're ~76 celsius under load:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/amd_radeon_rx_5700_and_5700_xt_review,8.html

Are you talking about temps with overclocking applied? Or are you concerned it will wear out?

I didn't use the word temperature in my post, not sure where you got that from. I was referring to the noise a blower card makes - this was echoed by almost all the reviews for the card, commenting that it's very loud compared to the open air NVIDIA blowers.

Blower cards are frowned upon by most enthusiasts, and mostly only make sense to those who buy with the intention of water cooling.

Associate
OP
I didn't use the word temperature in my post, not sure where you got that from. I was referring to the noise a blower card makes - this was echoed by almost all the reviews for the card, commenting that it's very loud compared to the open air NVIDIA blowers.

Blower cards are frowned upon by most enthusiasts, and mostly only make sense to those who buy with the intention of water cooling.

Ok, fair enough, I am a newb in such things.

Back
Top Bottom