BMW to make Apple Carplay a subscription service!

Soldato
Just read this on Auto Express. BMW claiming they can keep costs down because not everyone will want the service.

Do you think we'll now see other manufacturers start to do the same?

Seems like a shameless cash grab to me. I know if I was purchasing a car that had AA and or ACP I wouldn't bother paying extra for integrated nav, i feel most other people are the same.

Soldato
Seems more a cashgrab as they are lumping it under the 'subscription' mechanism..

I get if it was just the usual 'activation' fee because it had some knock on licence cost to them and so they wanted to limit this to those that need it, but making it a subscription if taking the mick.. one of the reasons not to get a BMW connected subscription is to not pay for Real Time Traffic and Up to date maps, something that you get automatically if you use Apple Carplay / Android Auto, this would close off that avenue..

Mind you they don't even support Android Auto yet, so BMW are very much behind the curve.

Soldato
Other manufacturers already do the same. I had to enable AA/CarPlay on the wife’s Yeti on it’s built in Bolero system. Was about £65.
A small one off activation fee on older or lower spec units (it was standard in my Octavia) is one thing, an ongoing £85py subscription is another imo.

Soldato
Mind you they don't even support Android Auto yet, so BMW are very much behind the curve.

Aren't there some mobile features on recent BMW models that are only supported via an Android app, even though they don't support Android Auto? I'm sure I've seen it mentioned before o nthe likes of the new 7 Series etc.

Soldato
Quality has fallen while prices have increased on the big German brands IMO. What used to be a nice experience is now just a big process designed to milk you of as much money as possible.

Soldato
Are BMW going for the "EA of the Car World" title?

Wait until you have to do micro-transactions to keep the injectors working, "Warning - Squirts Low - Top Up" and then you get a selection of options to purchase more squirts of the injector, cheaper per unit the more you buy, and in bundles with things like Headlight Hours. Obviously indicator relay clicks wouldn't be a big money maker for them.

Soldato
And you cant just change the head unit for something else because it isnt a standard fitting. GG.

The fitting could be standard but it'd be pointless because on most modern cars the underlying system is doing a lot more than just music.

The current 7 series uses android for the infotainment tablet.

Interesting, didn't know that. Does that mean it does support Android Auto?

Soldato
Soldato
It's the car unlock that only works on Android phones via nfc. And yes 7er touch command tablet is android based. But it's all a bit irrelevant, it's not like a car manufacturer cares what phone you have, if it was easier they'd support every CE device.

The reason for charging for carplay is you need special hardware to support it mandated by Apple. Not sure why they'd go subscription but it's very modern!
Yep, I guess it's because on Crapple NFC is locked for apple pay use only or similar

Why would you even want to? It would look crap.

In 10 years time when the infotainment goes to **** then yes people may consider it, especially with no AA/ACP

Soldato
I would rather pay less (albeit not much) and not have it than have it included as I don't have an iPhone. But that's not likely to happen is it.

Soldato
What exactly do they need to charge for? Our lowly Astra has AA and ACP......
They charge for it because they can.
Guessing they've looked at the typical iPhone user and their willingness to pay over the odds for things and realised they'd be stupid not to charge.

Soldato
Interesting, didn't know that. Does that mean it does support Android Auto?
yes I don't get the absence of this .. I suppose other car manufactureres are not supporting it either, but I would want to be able to install an arbitrary app,
eg TIDAL music. directly in the car and have that use the cars 4g lte to work autonomously without need for a phone ... that's what it buys you - no ?

Back
Top Bottom