It's too hot :(

Soldato
Yeah as you say you can get the window gap seals which for a rear window probably could make do with, but if your rooms at the front theni imagine those seals looking hideous.

Soldato
Having wistfully dreamed about aircon and researched it I've concluded that if I was going to go for it I'd probably do the whole house - 3 exterior split-units supporting 2 internal units each - one pair on each floor of our house (ground floor would do our office + kitchen/den, middle is master bedroom and lounge, top is the 2 bedrooms upstairs)... but I reckon that would be perhaps £3k on the units + at least another £1 - 2k for fitting them all. Be pretty incredible once it was done though... 3 units would be a bit ugly but it'd be on the side of the house where we rarely have to stare at (it's just our driveway)...

But what about external shutters for a cheaper and more low-tech solution? That seems the be the way lots of European places handle the higher temps - keep the radiation from coming through the windows in the first place. I just can't help but thing it'd look terrible - like a boarded up crack-den

Soldato
I'm constantly toying with the 'dream' of air-con, I have a very central (un-used) chimney in the house, I was chatting to my mate who installs air-con and he seems to think I'd be ok having the units in the attic venting the hot air out the top of the chimney and running the ducting down the chimney with vents into each room (the only one that wouldn't be connected to it would be the bathroom which isn't a problem) so that would be kitchen/diner, front room, hallway and 3 bedrooms.

He hasn't come back with the ball park figure yet but I dread to think how much it would be. He would have to do a full survey to price it up exact but I think it's going to be a decent wedge (as it's our forever house though it may be do-able).

I do keep looking at the little portable units and wondering about just taking the plunge for the sake of £200, I'm not too bothered what the window gap seal looks like if I'm nice and cool inside and can sleep comfortably.

Soldato
Yeah, those air con units with hoses hanging out of open windows seem pointless, as a lot of the cool air will also escape through the same window.

They normally come with a kit to seal the gap, I paid £400 for one last year and I couldn't be without it now. I'm currently sat here in my office at 20.2c and the rest of the building are sweating their nuts off. It's 32c in the room next door so the difference is massive, it's like walking into a wall of heat when I leave the room.

Soldato
It's predicted to hit 36 to 38c in the City of London tomorrow. Where I work (near the Tower of London) the office has a massive glass atrium. I can't help but think at certain times of day of that glass will turn the place into a death star for anyone walking underneath it.

Soldato
Yeah, those air con units with hoses hanging out of open windows seem pointless, as a lot of the cool air will also escape through the same window.

Depends if you have the cool air being pumped into the same room or not. I used a 10m ducting kit to pipe the cool air where I wanted it. Means the noise is in a different room as well. We keep the door as closed as it can with a 150mm pipe running through the doorway.
Looks a little industrial /ghetto but I don't care about that if it means sleeping.

Man of Honour
They normally come with a kit to seal the gap, I paid £400 for one last year and I couldn't be without it now. I'm currently sat here in my office at 20.2c and the rest of the building are sweating their nuts off. It's 32c in the room next door so the difference is massive, it's like walking into a wall of heat when I leave the room.

I'm at home with 2 windows open either end of the room and a nice breeze - don't even need AC while my colleagues have broken air conditioning, a big expanse of white roof facing south and no opening windows......

I shouldn't gloat too much though as I've got 6 days in a row coming up where I will have to be in work due to covering holidays - hopefully it will be a bit cooler.

Associate
I've had a portable aircon unit for the last 10 years. Still works great. Let it run in the bedroom for 1-2 hours before going to bed and the room is nice and chilly. I just hang the hose out of the windows and lower the blinds over it to help stop heat coming back in. Not ideal but for the couple of months its needed each year it does the job and was very cheap.

Associate
We went with a professional aircon install for the house back in March when there wasn’t a waiting list and increased prices because everyone wants it fitted last week. A split inverter system with 3 units. Right now, it’s the best money I’ve ever spent and will also heat in the winter.

We haven’t even changed the high tog duvet - it’s blissful. kitchen/living around is currently a cool 19c

Back
Top Bottom