Do not know which thread this goes in... Plex server in my car project?

Soldato
I already have a Plex server running in the home and love me my Plex. Honestly, just an amazing piece of software.

I want a project (to setup a Plex system in the car for video for rear passengers, 3 screens, 2 on the rear of the front passenger seats and another suspended between the 2 passenger seats (somehow) and for the music for up front.

Ideally, I would want to export my library to a single external HDD (10TB) and somehow share that in the car but no idea what low power Plex server I could build for a car.

Maybe even build a combined Freenas/PfSense box with virtualisation? Not ideal but for the use, would work.

Wired (no idea how that would work, if can do ethernet then YAY) or wifi is fine. Also maybe a small PI based PfSense appliance for LAN routing and if doable, adding in some 4G internet into the car?

For the screens, I guess some cheap tablets make sense but maybe some cheap panels with some ROKU boxes stashed away somewhere would work?

No idea if even possible but am interested in what hardware would make it work.

Is going into a Ford Focus Estate MK1 in preperation for road trip but thought will have some fun trying to set this up. The setup will likely cost more than the car but that is the fun right? I need something to kill some time and have some fun :D

Last edited:
Soldato
I already have a Plex server running in the home and love me my Plex. Honestly, just an amazing piece of software.

I want a project (to setup a Plex system in the car for video for rear passengers, 3 screens, 2 on the rear of the front passenger seats and another suspended between the 2 passenger seats (somehow) and for the music for up front.

Ideally, I would want to export my library to a single external HDD (10TB) and somehow share that in the car but no idea what low power Plex server I could build for a car.

Maybe even build a combined Freenas/PfSense box with virtualisation? Not ideal but for the use, would work.

Wired (no idea how that would work, if can do ethernet then YAY) or wifi is fine. Also maybe a small PI based PfSense appliance for LAN routing and if doable, adding in some 4G internet into the car?

For the screens, I guess some cheap tablets make sense but maybe some cheap panels with some ROKU boxes stashed away somewhere would work?

No idea if even possible but am interested in what hardware would make it work.

Is going into a Ford Focus Estate MK1 in preperation for road trip but thought will have some fun trying to set this up. The setup will likely cost more than the car but that is the fun right? I need something to kill some time and have some fun :D

Based on the questions you've asked and your ideas, you're in for a steep learning curve. Ignoring my opinion coming from a carputer perspective (yes, 15 years ago that was a thing), it's easy, but you need to consider some points first:

1. KISS

Why Plex? The whole selling point with Plex is transcoding. You won't be doing that, you're direct playing the content to the clients from local storage (you'll want to re-encode everything to a natively supported format which will likely massively reduce your media library size, so no need for 10TB). As you're already doing this, have you considered Kodi? It could simplify your workflow dramatically. You also won't be streaming content from online sources, so again what's with 4G and why are you looking at virtualising PfSense and freenas? Roku's... Seriously? The remotes will control any unit in sight, you'll literally drive your passengers mad.

2. Re-inventing the wheel is only cool if you do a better job.

Consider that a cheap android HU will support multiple screens, run Kodi, has 4G options and basically do everything you need for minimal outlay along with DAB, reversing camera, bluetooth calling/streaming, TPMS, google maps, spotify etc along with android auto and most other apps you may choose to run.

Still want to do this? Then read on...

If you want Plex, then PMS on a Pi 3 or 4 is much easier to run/power/cool/deal with in a 12v environment, run local USB storage, an old SSD in a USB caddy will work well here as it's more tolerant of bumps or flash drives are now pretty cheap in reasonable capacity, you can use the inbuilt wifi to stream to tablets if you want cheap/easy. Reasonable quality android/fire tablets, mounts and hardwire charging are easy to do and quite inexpensive. The question then becomes how far beyond easy do you want to go and how much are you prepared to spend?

Soldato
OP
@Avalon

Thanks for the reply.

I respect your input.

I was not aware a current HU could stream to multiple screens. Can they play different streams to different screens?

I was WAAAY over complicating it all, as you say, the clients are pre-dertermined so I can enocde the media before hand as needed.

Soldato
If you have Plex at home why don’t you just use tablets as the screens and stream from your server at home over a 4G hotspot you could put in the car? Isn’t that one of the great things about Plex - easy remote access? What you’re describing is pretty cool I admit, but it seems like a lot of unnecessary work and expense.

Soldato
@Avalon

Thanks for the reply.

I respect your input.

I was not aware a current HU could stream to multiple screens. Can they play different streams to different screens?

I was WAAAY over complicating it all, as you say, the clients are pre-dertermined so I can enocde the media before hand as needed.

Just realised you posted a similar curve ball idea on a pfsense build a while back (I was looking for an old post on something). Not different streams to different screens, but it’s easily sorted if you’re using tablets anyway.

Soldato
OP
@Avalon

Been running a PfSense appliance for about a year now and can never go back to an "off the shelf" router.

I like thinking of other ways to do stuff. Keeps me out of trouble, it is not about the "easiest" way.

Is good to spitball ideas and bounce off others.

To be honest, I have major issues with Android so if I can avoid such hardware, I will :D

Personal preference and all that.

Back
Top Bottom