Virtual Machine Assistance Required

Associate
Hi,

I have ordered a new computer with capacity to run virtual machines. The purpose is to run two virtual machines on my desktop so that I can have three matched betting accounts open at the same time. The new computer will have 2 SSDs and I will use one for my Win10 and my own account and personal stuff. The other will be for the two VMs. I understand that I will need to install another OP on the second SSD to run the VMs. I have read that Linux is good choice for running VMs, but any suggestions on setting this up would be appreciated.

Soldato
Can you not just run three different browsers, one for each login? Or even three separate Private sessions on one browser?

Failing that, if I read your post correct, you’re going to run two OS’s on one computer with a view to running one OS for the VMs? I also get the impression you hope to have both OSs running at the same time which isn’t possible. Why not just run VirtualBox on Windows and use the second SSD to store the VMs you create?

Man of Honour
What I would do, and this is because I use an ISP where I can have multiple fixed ip's (5 of) is to set up esxi and the VM's and then in your router/firewall set up outbound/inbound routes for each VM on a different fixed ip. The problem I guess is you need them all going out over different IP addresses? This can also be achieved with VmWare workstation but you need a decent router, I use a fortigate 30e and there really is very little that it can't do for anything but larger businesses. Finding an ISP that will give multiple fixed IP's (when you are not a business) is a different issue altogether and most will require some kind of valid explanation as to why you want multiple outward facing IP addresses. 90% of all home based ISP's will simply flatly refuse even single fixed let alone multiple.

Otherwise multiple VPN subs will work I guess but is messy.

Last edited:
Soldato
If you have Windows 10 Pro then you can install the Hyper-V role which will allow you to run VMs. Otherwise you can use something such as VirtualBox for free, or if you want something more feature complete you can buy VMware Workstation Pro.

Remember if you're running Windows on those VMs they will need licenses in addition to your main PC.

Soldato
What's the need for separate machines for separate betting accounts? If it's IP/Network related, that won't solve it. If it's browser related, just open browers incognito or inPrivateBrowsing and you're away.

If you're running a Win10 Pro, install Hyper-V then use the Quick Create gallery to get your VMs up and running.

You'll need some basic understanding of Vnets and switching to make them work (NAT, Bridged, etc)

Caporegime
What I would do, and this is because I use an ISP where I can have multiple fixed ip's (5 of) is to set up esxi and the VM's and then in your router/firewall set up outbound/inbound routes for each VM on a different fixed ip. The problem I guess is you need them all going out over different IP addresses? This can also be achieved with VmWare workstation but you need a decent router, I use a fortigate 30e and there really is very little that it can't do for anything but larger businesses. Finding an ISP that will give multiple fixed IP's (when you are not a business) is a different issue altogether and most will require some kind of valid explanation as to why you want multiple outward facing IP addresses. 90% of all home based ISP's will simply flatly refuse even single fixed let alone multiple.

Otherwise multiple VPN subs will work I guess but is messy.
You don't need multiple VPN subs, PIA allow you to use it on multiple devices, just connect to a different endpoint in each VM.

Soldato
I would have thought something like that would require logins from different IP's, so assigning different static IP's to each VM, or running a VPN client from within each VM.

If that's all you're using it for, i'd stick something like Ubuntu on each VM, deploy your VPN client and choice of browser and away you go.

Associate
OP
Some response to the above comments. I cannot just use three browsers as they would have the same IP address. I take the point about cannot run 2 operating systems at the same time and the second SSD would be for VM storage only. Each VM would connect through its own dongle, so different IP address for each account.

Soldato
Some response to the above comments. I cannot just use three browsers as they would have the same IP address. I take the point about cannot run 2 operating systems at the same time and the second SSD would be for VM storage only. Each VM would connect through its own dongle, so different IP address for each account.

OK, so on this machine, you're physically going to have two (I assume) 3/4G dongles attached to the machine (MiFI won't work) and then passthru the network connection to each of the VMs.

You'll need the dongles in when configuring the vSwitch (on Hyper V, but same idea for ESXi or Vbox).

I'm not 100% sure it would work. The theory is ok, but the practise could be a lot different.

Back
Top Bottom