Bonnet latch - Help Please

Associate
Morning,

I need to replace the bonnet latch on my Mondeo. I found a random reply to a question below but it's old and I cannot get an answer.

in5wgp.jpg

Can anyone explain the final paragraph. Would I join clip two wires together by the plastic sleeves, or the metal? I try not to kill myself.

Thanks.

Associate
It appears the fault with that persons latch is the computer telling him the bonnets open when it's not. You join the two connections to fool the computer into thinking the bonnets closed.

Why do you need a new bonnet latch?

Soldato
I know on the S-Max, which shares quite a few things with the Mondeo, a common issue was that the bonnet wouldn’t stay closed. I had it on my wife’s previous car and it was irritating as hell. The problem there wasn’t the latch as I tried swapping that - the cable itself needed replacing. Just a heads up in case it is the same issue.

Soldato
It's telling you to bridge the pins on the connection itself, so get a bit of wire / paperclip and secure it between the two.

It'll just be looking for a closed loop, which you're creating

Associate
OP
Thank you.

I would be driving along and get a warning that the bonnet was open. When dropping the lid, it would not click shut, I would then have to apply an extra bit of pressure to close it. This went on for a bit - every time I went on a bumpy road, the bonnet would open with the warning.

I did notice after my warranty expired and this started happening that there was a lot of grease on the latch, so it looked like this had been an issue before I bought the car.

About 3 weeks ago, I wiggled a screwdriver in there (after seeing something on Youtube) and I was able to close it on the drop. Since then, the bonnet has not popped up but I keep getting an 'alarm was activated message' when I start the car. My windscreen fluid needed filling yesterday so I had to open the bonnet for the first time since I closed it properly and now it won't close without extra pressure after dropping it. There is a vertical pointy thing that is supposed to push in and out that seems very seized and grease doesn't help.

I decided to just get another unit which was cheap enough and I'm going to try and replace it myself. I figure if you can put computers together, you should be able to apply it to something like this with decent instruction.

Back
Top Bottom