• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Keep on keeping on for the 3900x or change to 3700x?

Associate
I kind of already know the answer to this deep down, but after 2 weeks of waiting for stock i'm getting the itch to just throw the towel in and change my order to the 3700x for delivery tomorrow/this week.

I game at 1440p with a 2070 Super, i7 6700k. I have a new x570 mobo waiting to be shipped with the 3900x but do I really need all that fire power that comes with the 3900x or am I just going overkill?

So basically, is it worth the wait to I guess future proof? Or just go for it.

Thanks.

P.S Yes, I am bottle necking with a 2070/6770k, only had the 2070S for a week, hoped the new CPU would some sooner.

Last edited:
Soldato
I kind of already know the answer to this deep down, but after 2 weeks of waiting for stock i'm getting the itch to just throw the towel in and change my order to the 3700x for delivery tomorrow/this week.

I game at 1440p with a 2070 Super, i7 6770k. I have a new x570 mobo waiting to be shipped with the 3900x but do I really need all that fire power that comes with the 3900x or am I just going overkill?

Thanks.

P.S Yes, I am bottle necking with a 2070/6770k, only had the 2070S for a week, hoped the new CPU would some sooner.

Do you mean a 6700k..?
Have you tried overclocking that chip? Mine ran fine from day one at 4.7ghz and in that last month of having it I ran out at 4.8ghz.it never really bottle necked anything that I ran.

What is it bottle necking for you, and is it at stock.?

Associate
OP
Do you mean a 6700k..?
Have you tried overclocking that chip? Mine ran fine from day one at 4.7ghz and in that last month of having it I ran out at 4.8ghz.it never really bottle necked anything that I ran.

What is it bottle necking for you, and is it at stock.?

Sorry yes, 6700k. Yeah I have it clocked to 4.6ghz. I ran a few benchmarks on Assassins Creed Odyssey when the 2070s came, the CPU was at 100% while GPU about 92% on Afterburner.

Soldato
.......ah so both the CPU and the GPU are virtually maxed when running that benchmark.
At 1440p with the 2070s it seems like you might need to address your eyecandy settings or else your GPU might well be the bottle neck for you in that game.
Would that game benefit from the AMD CPU over that of your overclocked 6700k....?

Perhaps that's not what you need to think about when you did ask about the 3900x over that of the 3700x, sorry :)

Associate
OP
.......ah so both the CPU and the GPU are virtually maxed when running that benchmark.
At 1440p with the 2070s it seems like you might need to address your eyecandy settings or else your GPU might well be the bottle neck for you in that game.
Would that game benefit from the AMD CPU over that of your overclocked 6700k....?

Perhaps that's not what you need to think about when you did ask about the 3900x over that of the 3700x, sorry :)

No problem ;)

Soldato

I game at 1440p with a 2070 Super, i7 6700k. I have a new x570 mobo waiting to be shipped with the 3900x but do I really need all that fire power that comes with the 3900x or am I just going overkill?

Thanks.

Keep the 3900X. If you get the 3700X and cancel the 3900X order, you will feel the buyers remorse the moment you install the CPU and won't be happy trying to persuade yourself that you did the good choice.

3900X is the first AMD CPU I truly like, since the mighty Athlon 2800+ MP, 16 years ago. Had 2 1800X the first one (April 2017) send it back after the motherboard (CH6) died in the first week, and the second kept it 2 weeks (Sept 2017) and gave it to my brother as a gift for his birthday.

Associate
I would probably get the 3700X. Looking at your other build, 6700K, I'd say you're someone who upgrades semi-regularly - I would be the same, which is why I never go beyond mid-range at best in terms of CPU. I just cycle PC's every 18 months or so.

Reason I got a 3600, it'll excel for the time I plan using it for, I did consider the 3700X but had to have an honest conversation with myself, when I upgrade in 12-18 months time, it wouldn't have made any difference.

Unless you plan having it for the best part of a decade, the 3700X will shine just fine from a gaming POV for years. And if you do plan keeping this one a very long time, then it's a fair judgement either to get the 3900x.

Associate
OP
I would probably get the 3700X. Looking at your other build, 6700K, I'd say you're someone who upgrades semi-regularly - I would be the same, which is why I never go beyond mid-range at best in terms of CPU. I just cycle PC's every 18 months or so.

Reason I got a 3600, it'll excel for the time I plan using it for, I did consider the 3700X but had to have an honest conversation with myself, when I upgrade in 12-18 months time, it wouldn't have made any difference.

Unless you plan having it for the best part of a decade, the 3700X will shine just fine from a gaming POV for years. And if you do plan keeping this one a very long time, then it's a fair judgement either to get the 3900x.

I usually make a rule to upgrade parts every 3 years. I'm edging to give it another week of waiting for the 3900x and see where I get. Just hope my Mobo doesn't go out of stock in the mean time on my order!

Associate
I guess it depends on what you'll use the system for. 3900X has it's benefits, but is it really worth an extra £200 or so? I don't think it is, but like I said, what are you using it for? The 3700X at £300 is worth considering.

Associate
I'd stick with it, especially when considering the price of the chips has increased £40 already since the SKU appeared on e-tailer inventories. For those pre-ordering at the higher £500+ prices then I might feel differently, but for 12 cores/24 threads in a mainstream (albeit enthusiast) CPU? I'll be keeping my pre-order :)

Soldato
If you are itching then I'd get something in stock for now and sell it when 3900X arrives as you'll lose next to nothing. Plenty of people on ebay will buy 2nd hand to save £20 off RRP. The 3700X I'm sure was £299 at OCUK the other day. Maybe a small bit of credit card interest or buy on 0% on purchases but depending on your financial status and to have it now, what'll it cost for the loss? Max £40?

Getting to know the BIOS, RAM etc and the current foibles of Ryzen 3000, you'll hit the ground running when the 3900X turns up. £40 - burn through that down the boozer in a couplo hours.

You can pull the stunner later and hump the munter now

Associate
OP
If you are itching then I'd get something in stock for now and sell it when 3900X arrives as you'll lose next to nothing. Plenty of people on ebay will buy 2nd hand to save £20 off RRP. The 3700X I'm sure was £299 at OCUK the other day. Maybe a small bit of credit card interest or buy on 0% on purchases but depending on your financial status and to have it now, what'll it cost for the loss? Max £40?

Getting to know the BIOS, RAM etc and the current foibles of Ryzen 3000, you'll hit the ground running when the 3900X turns up. £40 - burn through that down the boozer in a couplo hours.

You can pull the stunner later and hump the munter now

That's some great and well put advice :D. As I just mentioned in the stock update thread, I done some serious research into the gaming difference between the 3700x/3900x at 1440p and had a stern talking to my self. I can wait for the 3900x, pay the extra £180 for minimal gaming performance increase. Waiting at the moment is a guessing game, I pre-ordered rather late, so who's to say when stock does arrive, I miss out on that batch and continue waiting (ordered when about 150 orders were already waiting).

So this morning I changed my order to a 3700x, and with the extra cash left over purchased my self a new shiny case. The Chip, new x570 mobo and case already been dispatched for delivery tomorrow.

So on the back of that, if you pre-ordered early I would say hang in there as you will be the first to receive when stock arrives. But with stock as scarce as it is on the 3900x, can you really say truthfully that OC will get over 150 chips??

Associate
I echo Woodsta and say go for a 3700X, I have moved from 4970K -> Ryzen2600 -> Ryzen 3700X in the last 9 months and performance is nothing but sublime, gaming and productivity, then upgrade again when Ryzen 4000 releases or get a second hand 3950X as others upgrade

Back
Top Bottom