Best Driving in Europe?

Man of Honour
I've recently come back from a few weeks of driving around Europe - by the far best bits are the Alps - the Swiss, Italian, German, Austrian and French bits are all absolutely wonderful and well worth a visit. They'll give you exactly what you are looking for and then some.

Just remember that Switzerland is about scenery and not about thrashing your car. They have very low speed limits and very harsh penalties for breaking them.

Associate
We drove to Northern Italy passing through Switzerland and the scenery really is stunning as well as the engineering in terms of tunnels and bridges. This was sticking to the main routes as well. Be prepared to spend a lot on tolls though. The Mont Blanc tunnel was particularly expensive.

Soldato
nc500 in about 3/4 months when all the tourists go home

utter torture atm and really not a good experience . personally i'd start off with a day or 2 in Glasgow and head up north via the west coast, Oban, Fort William then up to Inverness via Fort Augustus before picking up the NC500

Soldato
The earlier route napoleon thread ... driving down into Nice, as you see the sea for the first time

... need the Matt monroe - 'on days like this' track, too ... and hope you don't meet a digger ...

Caporegime
With the exception of breakdown cover why wouldn't he?

My insurance company emailed me regarding brexit and to make sure I had something in place before travelling and if he's planning for after we leave then he will need to sort that out.

Also countries have different laws in regards to what you need in your car. Breathalyser, etc.

Soldato
My insurance company emailed me regarding brexit and to make sure I had something in place before travelling and if he's planning for after we leave then he will need to sort that out.

Also countries have different laws in regards to what you need in your car. Breathalyser, etc.

What countries do you need to have a breathalyser for?

Soldato
With the exception of breakdown cover why wouldn't he?

Because you need to get a green card from your insurer to prove you have insurance that covers you on the continent - and even then it's worth checking with them because it might only be 3rd party.

And that's even before we're no longer in the EU.

Back
Top Bottom