Private plate on car I've bought, don't want it, best way to dispose?

Soldato
Hi guys,

As per title, I've just bought a used car privately and they've left the plate on it.

It ages the car a few years, and means absolutely nothing to me.

Probably a daft question but what's the best way to dispose of this plate? I've read about putting it on rention but that's going to cost me £80. Is there no way to do it for free and put the plate back into DVLA's circulation?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Caporegime
Hi guys,

As per title, I've just bought a used car privately and they've left the plate on it.

It ages the car a few years, and means absolutely nothing to me.

Probably a daft question but what's the best way to dispose of this plate? I've read about putting it on rention but that's going to cost me £80. Is there no way to do it for free and put the plate back into DVLA's circulation?

Thanks for any help in advance.

why not just leave it on the car? for all the hassle it's worth.

or try and sell it. if someone bought it once already someone else might want it. stick it on well known sites for £200 and see if anyone bites.

also if you do remove it. you will need to update your insurance, etc too which depending on the company may cost you more money or it could be free. best to check with insurer first.

Soldato
^ Why not, curiosity now has the batter of me and I’m dying to now know what the plate is :D

My wife’s old car came with a private plate and I just left it on the car until I eventually part-ex’ed the car. The dealer asked me if I had forgotten to take the plate off.

Soldato
OP
The plate is JA03 JJA.

DVLA have responded to a recent tweet and advised I can get the original plate back on the car for free :)

If anyone wants this for £80, however, I can do that... (it’s going to cost me £80 to put it on retention to sell it).

Back
Top Bottom