Corsa C, air conditioning stopped working...

Caporegime
Heading to work yesterday, my air con was nice and cold, today it's just blowing ambient warm air?!?

I've checked the fuse which is ok, any other relays etc I should look at before I take it to Krap fit for a recharge (I'm assuming they'll find a leak or compressor fault given its failed suddenly)

Associate
Quick way to see if the pump is working. The A/C pump has a clutch type system on it. if you look at the pump, on the outside of the pulley (facing towards the drivers side of the engine bay) there is a metal plate sorta thing, this shouldn't be spinning unless the A/C is on. So have the aircon off while the engine is running, check its not spinning (pulley should be spinning using the auxiliary belt, but the plate on the side of it shouldn't be), then go switch the a/c on and see if its now spinning. if its spinning with the a/c pump now switched on your pump should be working fine and you're probably out of gas.

Deleted member 66701

D

Deleted member 66701

if its spinning with the a/c pump now switched on your pump should be working fine and you're probably out of gas.

If it's low on gas the low pressure switch will trip and the pump wont spin. This is to protect the pump as no gas also means no lubrication as the oil is added with the gas.

Caporegime
OP
Quick way to see if the pump is working. The A/C pump has a clutch type system on it. if you look at the pump, on the outside of the pulley (facing towards the drivers side of the engine bay) there is a metal plate sorta thing, this shouldn't be spinning unless the A/C is on. So have the aircon off while the engine is running, check its not spinning (pulley should be spinning using the auxiliary belt, but the plate on the side of it shouldn't be), then go switch the a/c on and see if its now spinning. if its spinning with the a/c pump now switched on your pump should be working fine and you're probably out of gas.

Thanks, I tried this and the metal plate sorta thing isn't spinning with the A/C on or off, I guess Krap fit is my next step to see if the system still has gas in it, as per amigafan's response.

No doubt it'll be fixed once the hot weather is long gone! :p

Associate
Different car , but just fixed mine on Tuesday.

2008 Honda Civic Type R, full of gas, not reporting any faults on the logger, but AC not kicking in, AC clutch not engaging.

Turned out to be just the relay in the fuse box, swapped and all is fine. Cost £25. Common fault on Hondas by all account.

Might be a whole different issue on Corsas but worth checking Vauxhall forums etc to see if they have a similar common fault.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Different car , but just fixed mine on Tuesday.

2008 Honda Civic Type R, full of gas, not reporting any faults on the logger, but AC not kicking in, AC clutch not engaging.

Turned out to be just the relay in the fuse box, swapped and all is fine. Cost £25. Common fault on Hondas by all account.

Might be a whole different issue on Corsas but worth checking Vauxhall forums etc to see if they have a similar common fault.

Cheers, just been googling this and apparently I can test the A/C relay by swapping it with the headlamp one (the lights work so I know that relay is good!)
I'll give it a go when I goto work. :)

Associate
Hello every one
will i need help with my opel corsa c 2001 its also about the aircon i have take it to gargest and he give air in the car and he chack it and he says that the compresser is defct so I bought onther one and I installed it but with out gas ,,,,,,,,,,, 1- i push the button A/C clutch dus not turn 2- dus it work with out gas ? because i didnt put gas till now .

thanks

RJC

RJC

Don
Your system will require pressure testing then vaccing - after can be charged with refrigerant and oil.

Back
Top Bottom