Quick MOT result query - anti-roll link.

Associate
So, my trusty Mk1 Focus has gotten through another MOT almost unscathed.
It was failed on "Offside Rear Anti-roll bar linkage missing (5.3.3 (a) (ii))"

It was an MOT test center only so they couldn't replace it.
Thought I'd have a look myself and upon checking under the car, it appears to be there, along with the near side one (incase they got nearside and offside mixed up.) The pic below is from the back of the car showing the R/O/S wheel.

The guy in the center said it was totally gone and told me how to change it and it appears to tally up.
Is it just the bottom part missing?
I understand the classification on the MOT for it if part of it is missing, just the guy saying it was gone has me a bit confused.

Ta

mjr9F4t.jpg

Soldato
"it's gone" is tech speak for its dead, needs replacing.

You can buy those parts for around £15 each.

Replace in pairs.

Easy to do on the drive, but shouldn't be expensive to get a garage to do.
Hour labour at most for both.

Soldato
It is damaged – as you've observed, the lower fixing (head of the bolt or a nut, depending on orientation; I'm not sure which way it goes) has disappeared and the lower bush is missing.

Should look like this:

gjqD4By.jpg

Consequently, there's nothing retaining that end of the ARB to the suspension – aside from the fact that it's under compression and (presumably) pegged in place by the remainder of the bolt.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Right! That's that one cleared up!

It's a 20 year old car that I've had for the past 15 years so they would be original parts I expect and I guess gone rotten as stated above.
A lot of the underneath of the car is heading this way. :(

Now off to procrastinate over this...
Got a week or so before it needs to be back for the free MOT recheck!

Cheers all!

Soldato
If you are going to do this job yourself, you need to Jack both sides of the car and put them on axel stands, take the wheels off then put a jack under the suspension to compress is back up so you can get the links in.

You will probably find you have to compress both sides at the same time so you'll need2 jack's.

It's how I have done it in the past. It's easy enough though and those links should only be £15 quid or so.

Also it's quite common for those to fail, so for the age of the car you've done pretty well assuming they have never been changed before.

Associate
If you are going to do this job yourself, you need to Jack both sides of the car and put them on axel stands, take the wheels off then put a jack under the suspension to compress is back up so you can get the links in.

You will probably find you have to compress both sides at the same time so you'll need2 jack's.

It's how I have done it in the past. It's easy enough though and those links should only be £15 quid or so.

Also it's quite common for those to fail, so for the age of the car you've done pretty well assuming they have never been changed before.
I know where you're coming from with this, but with the rear on the Mk1 Focus that isn't necessary.

The roll bar just goes straight across the frame then curves out to the wishbones, there's no tension on it while the car is sat straight. You can change them with the car on the floor, using a couple of spanners (assuming you can get the nuts undone!).

Might be worth checking this:
U5eqKO7.jpeg

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, looks straight forward enough but with the amount if rust and possibly being seized it's a concern doing it myself.
Not got the tools to cut them if required and don't want it stuck on my drive half bodged!

General servicing and brakes I'll do, anything else I'll weigh up the pros and cons if it doesn't go to plan!

Ta

Soldato
I know where you're coming from with this, but with the rear on the Mk1 Focus that isn't necessary.

The roll bar just goes straight across the frame then curves out to the wishbones, there's no tension on it while the car is sat straight. You can change them with the car on the floor, using a couple of spanners (assuming you can get the nuts undone!).

Might be worth checking this:
U5eqKO7.jpeg

Lesson learned!!!

Don
Yeah, looks straight forward enough but with the amount if rust and possibly being seized it's a concern doing it myself.
Not got the tools to cut them if required and don't want it stuck on my drive half bodged!

General servicing and brakes I'll do, anything else I'll weigh up the pros and cons if it doesn't go to plan!

Ta

It's already broken away from the anti-roll bar, you can't make it any worse! :D

Back
Top Bottom