• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Vs Intel for Mainly Gaming

Associate
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some opinions on CPU choice for my upgrade that I am considering for early next year. The reason for the early next year is, I wanted to wait for the bugs to be ironed out of the 3000 series chips and to see if there is anything in terms of response from Intel.

I am sure that there are lost of individual unique requirements from almost every person with a PC but for me I prefer higher frame rates over resolutions ( I cant justify the spend for a monitor with both) so I run 2560x1080 144hz LG ultrawide.
I am considering upgrading because I have noticed that in some games my 6700k is getting to about 75% although I am GPU limited with a Vega 64. My VR machine could do with a GPU upgrade but I think it could also do with a CPU upgrade from a 2600 to a 3600 and I was going to put the Vega in there.

Ultimately what I am interested in is, if a 3700X/3800X is likely to be a bottle neck for a RX 5700 XT or maybe a 2070S. I might wait to see what the RX 5800 looks like and the prices. The reason I ask about this is because I have seen a few reviews where the 3600 is a bottleneck for a RX 5700 XT this was at 1080p.

I understand that the 9900K is a better gaming CPU but I don't want to be stuck with a dead Intel platform again like the Z270

Thanks

Permabanned
What you need to do is move from vega64 to a 2080ti and leave the cpu alone. It is supposed to be loaded high do you not want it used? Im confused what symptoms does the cpu exhibit? Stutter? Bad game performance?

Or would saving now for a 2080 Ti Super founders at £1050 or a 2080 Ti for £998? You basically doible the fps this is the upgrade you do.

Associate
Hi all,

I just wanted to get some opinions on CPU choice for my upgrade that I am considering for early next year. The reason for the early next year is, I wanted to wait for the bugs to be ironed out of the 3000 series chips and to see if there is anything in terms of response from Intel.

I am sure that there are lost of individual unique requirements from almost every person with a PC but for me I prefer higher frame rates over resolutions ( I cant justify the spend for a monitor with both) so I run 2560x1080 144hz LG ultrawide.
I am considering upgrading because I have noticed that in some games my 6700k is getting to about 75% although I am GPU limited with a Vega 64. My VR machine could do with a GPU upgrade but I think it could also do with a CPU upgrade from a 2600 to a 3600 and I was going to put the Vega in there.

Ultimately what I am interested in is, if a 3700X/3800X is likely to be a bottle neck for a RX 5700 XT or maybe a 2070S. I might wait to see what the RX 5800 looks like and the prices. The reason I ask about this is because I have seen a few reviews where the 3600 is a bottleneck for a RX 5700 XT this was at 1080p.

I understand that the 9900K is a better gaming CPU but I don't want to be stuck with a dead Intel platform again like the Z270

Thanks

I have a 5700XT and my 2700 does not bottleneck it. My 3600 is faster than my 2700. But, I agree with Dg, just wait for next gen. 6700 is plenty fast even for a RTX 2080.

Soldato
Hi all,

If you keep a PC for as long as you seem to, the 'dead platform' argument is pretty much irrelevant.

If I changed my PC every 12-24mths then I sure as heck wouldn't have just bought a 9900K, but I don't, I keep a PC for a minimum of 3-4yrs before upgrading and a 9900K will be more than enough CPU power for the next 3-4yrs and by the time I upgrade, both the Z390 & AM4 platform will be long dead anyway.

Soldato
my opinion 6700k should be enough for another 2y easily .
It's game dependent. Some games make use of more cores now so if you want to be more confident of having an optimal gaming setup, more than 4 cores is the way forward. I've seen my 6700K maxed out on all four cores in some games using a 2080, the same games seem smoother with a 9900K.
Personally I think next year (after Xmas)will likely see a reduction in the price of the 3xxx CPU's which might tie in with the purchase OP plans to make. AMD usually drop prices fairly quickly or you see more frequent temporary discounts although maybe that'll change with the latest CPU's, now that they're giving Intel a beating. I think OP should look to go at least the 3700X route to get 8 cores, it'll be a better upgrade from a 6700K IMO. RT I think seems to be better with more cores too, with the recommended min spec for BFV for example being either 6 core 8700K or 2700X 8 core for AMD. Might not be the case moving forward but all points towards 8 cores being more optimal moving forward.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I know I don't really need to upgrade, do any of us Need to upgrade?

The 75% usage says that if I upgrade the GPU I might be getting more like 90+% usage and I have seen that cause problems, stuttering etc.

I prefer using AMD Radeon GPU's because of the anti consumer practices of Nvidia, I would also prefer using an AMD CPU for the same reason.

My main question is would a 3700/3800x bottleneck a 2080/ ti power graphics card at 1080 ultra wide?

Thanks for your comments

TrM

TrM

Associate

The 75% usage says that if I upgrade the GPU I might be getting more like 90+% usage and I have seen that cause problems, stuttering etc.

I prefer using AMD Radeon GPU's because of the anti consumer practices of Nvidia, I would also prefer using an AMD CPU for the same reason.

My main question is would a 3700/3800x bottleneck a 2080/ ti power graphics card at 1080 ultra wide?

Thanks for your comments

all compainies are the same when it comes to anti custromer practases tbh There all out to make money and try to keep you coming back just nvidia and intel like to lock more things off then amd and keep technology to themselfs.

i think the word bottleknecking is getting thrown around way to much these day and people worrie way to much about it. The way i see it is this A 3700x/3800x will not bottlekneck a 2080 or 2080ti and i very much doubt it will bottlekneck a 3080ti or 3080 as the gpu is getting used to the ebst of its abillity. your 6700k under normal conditions without a stupid amunt of background processes will also give very good performance out of a 2080/ti and in gaming expecially the 6700k wont hold you back to much.

the games whilst are getting better at using more cores and more threads still dont fully use them And i very much doubt until the new consoles come out and become the modern standard and not just a affterthought in game devolopment wioll 4cores/8threads realy struggle a 3700x or 3800x 9900k etc will help to future prof a bit in the time frame of your upgrade intel might have a new cpu coming out.

i really dont think currently that a cpu upgrade would add much to your gaming experiance. also your vega 64 at your ultrawide 1080p rez souldnt give bad performanccce either The 5700xt and 2070s from your orignal post will add to gaming but with ssmaller margains then i would like to get from a gpu upgradea 2080ti is amssive upgrade the toerhs is a small upgrade and waiting for 3000 nvidia series or even a new generation from amd would give you much bigger gains in gaming.

but currentlyu at 1080p intel is thew gaming king by small margain on a 2080ti no matter how many of us amd people say its a small gap upto 5% in a lot of games but its still there Now this is not though bottleknecking though its just pure clock speed advantage for intel Not down to the cpu holding the gpu back.

As for a dead platform am4 cant last much longer either. amd have said suport till 2020 and keeping the am4 socket for this ryzen 3000 launch made things a lot harder for amd then it needed to be msi was caught with therre pants down with bios size and still they have had to nerf there bios to fit it on also x570 devolopemnt suffered badly due to it also. now with the ryzen 4000 series being s alight upgrade etc we will proberly see am4 stay for 1 more generation which if it does the amd 4 platform would have lasted 2x intels normal upgrade stuff it still wont last for much longer and amd new a new stratagy for selling latest motherboards exp if prices stay as high as x570 are charging

Soldato
6700k at a big resolution will last you years, some people are only just upgrading there 2500k's. I'm holding out till am5 comes out in the meantime my money is better spent on gpu's.

Soldato
What you need to do is move from vega64 to a 2080ti and leave the cpu alone. It is supposed to be loaded high do you not want it used? Im confused what symptoms does the cpu exhibit? Stutter? Bad game performance?

Or would saving now for a 2080 Ti Super founders at £1050 or a 2080 Ti for £998? You basically doible the fps this is the upgrade you do.

The opposite happens on the 2080ti

If the 2080ti not sufficiently loaded it causes stutters

It seems hardware doesn’t look at have low loads

Permabanned
The opposite happens on the 2080ti

If the 2080ti not sufficiently loaded it causes stutters

It seems hardware doesn’t look at have low loads

First time i have heard of this ever in gaming what happens if you play old games then? A card never did this before at any time. It would stutter under extreme loads of vram limits though.

Soldato

Thanks for your comments

why would you buy 2080ti with 3800x only to play at 1080p, unless you are competitive gamer where you will ear money in the future whats the point.?
why don't you play 1440p or 4k games look nicer and more enjoyable experience. Its a damn shame to throw all that money at something and not get the best experience out of it.

Associate
OP
I never said I was interested in a 2080ti, too expensive. I game at 2560x1080 144hz because I like the ultrawide and higher frame rates and again a 144hz 3440x1440 is just too expensive.

I need a new GPU for my living room pc which currently runs games that we play as a family at 4k and VR and the R9 290X isn't man enough.

I normally upgrade my main pc every 3 years and it is due an update so I am looking for a bit of discussion about which is the most sensible option for mainly gaming. I also do some 3D CAD on my PC for 3D printing.

The Vega 64 will be going into the living room PC and my pc will be getting a new CPU Mobo and GPU.

Back
Top Bottom