What is your resting heart rate?

Soldato
OP
Is that when sitting around at a desk or in bed about to go to sleep?

That is rather low - are you a cyclist?

I mean if you're sat at your desk say at work and your pulse is 48 then that is a bit unusual (unless you're quite fit). If you're laying in bed around your normal bed time then perhaps not so much.

Mine goes right down into the low 50s at bed time and probably below... which is annoying if I'm in hospital as the monitor starts to beep as soon as I start to drift off to sleep thus waking me up again!
Not especially fit, run 5k once or twice a week to dust the cobwebs off. Bang in the middle of healthy bmi.

It tends to increase during the day. Just checked, shortly after eating a large takeaway madras, following an exciting afternoon at the circus (as a spectator, rather than participant :D) and it's at 58.

I've never really checked it at weekends, when I'm more active. Probably would be upper 50s I reckon.

Soldato
HR is a highly personal thing so pretty pointless to compare to other people's. The important thing is monitoring changes to your own over time so you can spot anything that's off.

(Mine is about 50 first thing on a morning, with a max of 189 when cycling)

Caporegime
HR is a highly personal thing so pretty pointless to compare to other people's. The important thing is monitoring changes to your own over time so you can spot anything that's off.

(Mine is about 50 first thing on a morning, with a max of 189 when cycling)
It can be quite misleading. I have terrible heart problems and need a heart transplant, but when I’m not in arrhythmia, my resting heart rate is around 57-58, which is considered healthy.

Soldato
It can be quite misleading. I have terrible heart problems and need a heart transplant, but when I’m not in arrhythmia, my resting heart rate is around 57-58, which is considered healthy.

I've read that in the next 3 years pigs hearts and kidneys could be used in transplants. How do you feel about that? We could both be part pig!!

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Around 32. Up to 48 when getting a stressful medical inspection. Docs told me Im about 2 beats above inadequate oxygen. 60'secs after circuit training as a teen it used to be around 7-8 beats per 15 secs. Its never caused me any problems :)

Funny thing - in 2011 in hospital bed the doc asked if I minded him showing some nurses my heartbeat. He returned 10 mins later with about half a dozen, saying "as you can see ladies, this man has what we call 'zombie heart'" and gave me a wink. They seemed shocked, that maybe because I was awake and talking. My heartbeat jumped to 38.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Funny thing - in 2011 in hospital bed the doc asked if I minded him showing some nurses my heartbeat. He returned 10 mins later with about half a dozen, saying "as you can see ladies, this man has what we call 'zombie heart'" and gave me a wink. They seemed shocked, that maybe because I was awake and talking. My heartbeat jumped to 38.

When my dad did a silly with DIY and embedded a chisel in his leg... his blood pressure dropped due to shock so low the paramedics couldn't actually measure it - when they got to hospital it was still so low the doctors were amazed he was conscious. So lucky he missed an artery by as close as you can miss and not actually hit :s

PROTIP: Don't clamp a chisel in a vice and spin a bit of wood around on a drill to try and smooth it off!

Soldato
took my BP when got up this morning and beat was 56- BP 125/78 (pills)- I can certainly feel it if beat goes up to 80. - At my age providing there is a beat I am very happy.

Pet Northerner
Don
Mine is always floating around 83 bpm to 112 bpm and averages around 91 bpm. I have often wondered if this is normal for resting heart rate aged 36 with no heart issues, having said that I am a highly strung individual. Often wondered if I should raise it with my GP.

sounds like me before my anxiety diagnosis.

Had a minor attack last night, woke up to a HR of about 130. Calms down quick enough and the rythm is fine.

Damn I hate stress. Might need to go back on propanolol for a few weeks.

Back
Top Bottom