I'm joining the OCUK Mustang club.......

Caporegime
Collecting Saturday

iEQ8sSS.jpg

ZURrDmK.jpg

Specs:

Mustang GT 5.0 Litre V8
10 Speed auto
Magneride
Custom pack 2
Large Rear Spoiler
Kona Blue

Brand new but dealer stock so didn't have to wait for factory delivery.

Soldato
Really like the Mustang and the 5.0l sounds absolutely lovely.

However, I drove a 2019 2.3l one around America for 2 weeks - and my God the 10 speed auto gearbox was atrocious. I mean, absolutely awful and close to ruining the car. The paddle shifts were just as bad. Every tiny movement on the throttle would mean the car would have to shuffle around gears to get moving. I estimate in the two weeks of driving it, the gearbox made approximately 440 million gear changes. The fuel economy was awful also considering I never pushed it at all - and this is coming from a guy who has a V8 as his daily car and is used to 20mpg (the Mustang got on average around 24mpg)! Hope the 5.0l one is a different ball game!

Getting back into my decade old 7 speed DCT was absolutely divine, as were works 8 speed ZF autos. People often overuse the phrase "night and day", but the difference was just that. Easily one of the worst auto gearboxes I've ever used.

Soldato
However, I drove a 2019 2.3l one around America for 2 weeks - and my God the 10 speed auto gearbox was atrocious. I mean, absolutely awful and close to ruining the car. The paddle shifts were just as bad. Every tiny movement on the throttle would mean the car would have to shuffle around gears to get moving. I estimate in the two weeks of driving it, the gearbox made approximately 440 million gear changes.

This isn't the case with the 5.0, it's the best transmission I've ever been in and has plenty of torque to stay in gears. 8th/9th/10th are overdrive and closely space so it'll move around in those but you can't feel it. The transmission learning has a lot to do with it as well.

Not to mention it can change from 10th to 4th in one go.

Soldato
Love a mustang, looks like some slight orange peeling on the paint though? Seems quite common on new cars, which is a shame.

Caporegime
OP
Love a mustang, looks like some slight orange peeling on the paint though? Seems quite common on new cars, which is a shame.

Dealer is not even washing the car before I pick it up, they are under express orders not too touch it at all.

It is going straight to get the roof wrapped gloss black on Saturday afternoon, then to the detailers for a week on Tuesday, full detail, two stage machine polish, then PPF on front bumper, wings, bonnet, sills, rear arches, outer corners of rear bumper, and up the A pillars, then Gtechniq Halo ceramic coating on to the PPF and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra on the rest of the car.

There will be zero swirls marks orange peel or any other defects in the paint work after that :)

Lovely. There’s some old bloke in the background eyeing it up!

He is the salesman lol

Soldato
Dealer is not even washing the car before I pick it up, they are under express orders not too touch it at all.

It is going straight to get the roof wrapped gloss black on Saturday afternoon, then to the detailers for a week on Tuesday, full detail, two stage machine polish, then PPF on front bumper, wings, bonnet, sills, rear arches, outer corners of rear bumper, and up the A pillars, then Gtechniq Halo ceramic coating on to the PPF and Gtechniq Crystal Serum Ultra on the rest of the car.

There will be zero swirls marks orange peel or any other defects in the paint work after that

Reckon it'll look stunning after all that, just a shame they don't come like that out of the factory. Someone I work with has an Alfa with severe orange peeling but not worth the cost of a full detailing!

Caporegime
OP
Reckon it'll look stunning after all that, just a shame they don't come like that out of the factory. Someone I work with has an Alfa with severe orange peeling but not worth the cost of a full detailing!

Pics and walkround video will get posted :)

Soldato
Congrats on the car! I ordered mine this week as well :D

Not being someone who cares too much about fine details, what's orange peel and can it be seen on those pics? (I have looked but not sure where to look!)

Soldato
Congrats on the car! I ordered mine this week as well :D

Not being someone who cares too much about fine details, what's orange peel and can it be seen on those pics? (I have looked but not sure where to look!)

https://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2012/09/06/whats-the-deal-with-orange-peel/

Like you I doubt anybody would really notice, and not to take away from the beauty of a mustang. But it's surprising how when you know what it looks like how many new cars have the same effect. It's something which is fixed by a proper detailing job, which it sounds like OP will be doing. :)

I have used 'orange peel' as an argument when haggling on a car at a dealership, but they had no clue as to what I was referring to and said the paint job was "immaculate". :D

Soldato

The car has already been valeted.... Its a display model (hence the EVL sheets in the windscreen and the Mustang number plates) so has been cleaned... They all come from the factory with a white plastic "sticker" over the entire bonnet/roof/boot lid....

The handling on the 2019MY vs the 2017MY car is night and day and is even better with the Magneride... Very confidence inspiring, even in the wet (better tyres on new ones) so good choice.

Soldato

There will be zero swirls marks orange peel or any other defects in the paint work after that :)

What sort of price are you paying for that out of interest?

Whenever I've enquired its eye watering levels of expensive for stuff that only a few years ago I swear was a few hundred.

Back
Top Bottom