Is wifi now a valid replacement for powerline?

Soldato
I have been using Powerline in the house for over a decade.

It is a modest 3 bed victorian semi, nothing grand, solid walls granted.

Never had joy with wireless G or N in the past. Powerline delivered 200Mbps+ in some rooms, lower in others. It is consistent but is now the time to bite the bullet on wifi?

Even with range extenders, speeds were never great on wifi previously. Powerline always trumped it.

Is the "ethernet or bust" mindset still valid with current wifi tech (without spending silly money)?

Thanks.

Soldato
Wireless cannot overcome the laws of physics therefore wired ethernet will ALWAYS trump it in every respect except ease of deployment.

I live in a smallish 3 bedroom detached with solid walls and have 2 x Ubiquiti UAPs which are more than fine for web browsing, streaming video etc but would never use for gaming, other latency sensitive applications or transfer to/from NAS of large files.

Soldato
5GHz wireless still doesn't like going through solid walls.

You may find that your wireless solution ends up needing Ethernet for the backhaul.

Use wireless for devices that need it. Anything fixed that has an Ethernet port should be wired (preferably with actual cables, not Powerline).

Soldato
Why not?

You can often follow the plumbing routes. If that isn't an option, drill the walls and run it externally.
The work/benefit ratio to me isn't worth it. It's barely any different to being wired in right by the router.

Edit: i should point out we've recently moved in and i have a long list of other things i'm told are a priority :D

Soldato
Thought about powrrline but cost of cable is nothing and only took couple of hours to route from living from into hall up stairs around landing into switch then back out into next room going around skirting or between carpet and skirting. Less than £40 and 1gigabit cable

Back
Top Bottom