Been offered job in Australia, relocation and visa sponsorship

Caporegime
Been offered and accepted a job with a consultancy firm, just collating info for my visa.

I'm a single bloke, in a good job in the UK but current employer is good but tough environment at the moment.

The Australian job offered is a rung or two down in terms of role the client wants me to do, but I've done it all before so should be really comfortable, allowing me to have more of a social existence than I do now.

All of a sudden though I've gotten a little bit nervous. Am I mad to think twice?

The intension is to sell my house in the UK and get out of dodge.

Do it. Worked in Germany for a while ober last 2 years its bloody amazing going to another country.

Plus if you **** it up theres always this rainy ****hole of a paradise to return to

Soldato
I'm currently in Oz, on the Gold Coast, i absolutely love it! There is so much to see and do. I had a look at property whilst i'm here as it's definitely a move i'd consider in the future. You can get a modern 3 bed / 2 bath townhouse in North Lakes (near Brisbane) for Au$349k, or i've seen more than a couple of 2 bed apartments on the immediate seafront in Surfers paradise for around Au$420k. They are cheap by many countries standards! However, the hotel i'm currently staying in actually creeks when the wind is strong like it has been the last couple of days :o And this is a brand new building (built 2017) (Rhapsody Resort Surfers paradise). A 2 bed apartment in this building is currently about Au$733k!

Soldato
If there’s nothing holding you back and it sounds like there isn’t then do it for the experience. Personally I don’t get what all the fuss is about, I think Australia is overrated, if it was NZ then that would be a different story as NZ is a stunning country with beautiful scenery which Australia just can’t match.

Soldato
Go for it. You can always go home if it doesn't work out.

If there’s nothing holding you back and it sounds like there isn’t then do it for the experience. Personally I don’t get what all the fuss is about, I think Australia is overrated, if it was NZ then that would be a different story as NZ is a stunning country with beautiful scenery which Australia just can’t match.

hmm. I could live in either tbh. NZ is slower paced, probably more beautiful but Aus is much more cosmopolitan.

Soldato
Weirdly we get Australians moving over here :p

I think there is a novelty of working somewhere else, but it can wear off after a while. When you go on holiday you don't really see the bad parts.

Caporegime
Where you in Hobart?

I was in Exeter (semi-rural) then Trevallyn (city/surburban). Both in the upper north of the state. Trevallyn is a suburb of Launceston.

How did you find it?

I loved the scenery, but as a kid I found it too small and slow. It's popular with retirees. For work, Hobart is better than Launceston.

Any areas to avoid?

Chigwell!

I'm going to be working in Monnah but keen to be close to a bus route for work and a short bus/walk into Hobart CBD

Moonah is a good place to be. Nice suburb, affordable housing, and close to the CBD.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
I was in Exeter (semi-rural) then Trevallyn (city/surburban). Both in the upper north of the state. Trevallyn is a suburb of Launceston.

I loved the scenery, but as a kid I found it to small and slow. It's popular with retirees. For work, Hobart is better than Launceston.

Chigwell!

Moonah is a good place to be. Nice suburb, affordable housing, and close to the CBD.
Chigwell, just like in the UK!

Soldato
OP
So I’m in Hobart! Arrived yesterday at 11am local time, fell asleep until 4am today.

Been walking around Hobart, it’s beautiful!

Activated my bank and been food shopping, now out to get an Australian SIM card.

Soldato
Good luck. I'm looking at Queensland for my next move once i've got my NZ citizenship. It was amazing when i was there on the Gold Coast last week, i could definitely see myself settling there, plus wages are higher, petrol is cheaper and property is cheaper than here in NZ too.

Soldato
Good luck. I'm looking at Queensland for my next move once i've got my NZ citizenship. It was amazing when i was there on the Gold Coast last week, i could definitely see myself settling there, plus wages are higher, petrol is cheaper and property is cheaper than here in NZ too.
My best mate did the move from NZ to Sydney. It was a good move for him. He's actually up on the Gold Coast this week for work (Project Manager). ;)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Haven't you only just started and poured tons of effort into a new restaurant business in NZ? How on earth could you be planning to move after starting that!

Back
Top Bottom