TOOL

Soldato
Reminder that the album is now up on Spotify at least. I'm having a listen, but need to concentrate on work so unable to properly listen as I'd like to until the late morning.

Permabanned
First listen done. Like with all TOOLs stuff it's gonna take a little while to cook for me, but Christ almighty does it feel pretty special. Not a bad track on it.

Soldato
I've managed to listen to only two songs on it (in addition to Fear Inoculum), but so far, I'm blown away. Utterly amazing. They sound like Tool, but, well, more refined and mature, if that's even possible! I cannot wait to spend time listening to the full album.

Soldato
I had a couple of mates at school around 96/97 that were obsessed with Tool. Over the years I've met many people that seem to worship this band and seem to believe that they are above other people by appreciating Tool's work, seeing it as different, and some kind of special artistic stuff. Not saying all fans are like this but it is a theme I have seen.

I get that Tool feature deliberately less common time signatures and are fairly progressive requiring more of an investment from the listener to get into.... However, every thing I ever heard from them at the end of the song I can't remember anything about what just happened. It leaves no impact with me whatsoever. I just cannot get into it. I guess I just don't get it. I have tried. And that's fine. Glad so many like them and enjoy it! I love music and I guess this is why.... It moves different people in different ways.

Permabanned
I had a couple of mates at school around 96/97 that were obsessed with Tool. Over the years I've met many people that seem to worship this band and seem to believe that they are above other people by appreciating Tool's work, seeing it as different, and some kind of special artistic stuff. Not saying all fans are like this but it is a theme I have seen.

I get that Tool feature deliberately less common time signatures and are fairly progressive requiring more of an investment from the listener to get into.... However, every thing I ever heard from them at the end of the song I can't remember anything about what just happened. It leaves no impact with me whatsoever. I just cannot get into it. I guess I just don't get it. I have tried. And that's fine. Glad so many like them and enjoy it! I love music and I guess this is why.... It moves different people in different ways.

Aye. Being a TOOL fan is like being a Ricky and Morty fan in that you start to feel embarrassed by the more extreme members of the community after a while.

I love them and they're my favourite band, but the way some people talk about them makes me feel a little ashamed. Like anyone who doesn't like there music just isn't 'intelligent' enough.

Associate
Great album and very enjoyable getting to blast this out in the car on the hour's journey to work this morning. I think I'll give the segue pieces a miss though. Found those annoying and skipped them on previous albums. 7empest is awesome and loving the guitar tones and textures.

Soldato
Aye. Being a TOOL fan is like being a Ricky and Morty fan in that you start to feel embarrassed by the more extreme members of the community after a while.

I love them and they're my favourite band, but the way some people talk about them makes me feel a little ashamed. Like anyone who doesn't like there music just isn't 'intelligent' enough.

Yeah, I've never gotten this either. I love so many different genres; drum n bass, grunge, hip hop being my favourites, but I absolutely love other artists that your average Tool fan turn their noses up at (Prince, Lorde, All Saints, Chemical Brothers, etc). For some Tool fans, that's incompatible with being a Tool fan apparently, even though they've been one of my top 5 bands for over 25 years now!

I'm not bothered. You like what you like and that's that.

This album is superb though - such a step up from 10,000 Days. On my third listen now and can say this will be doing the rounds for many many years to come. Album of the year for me.

Back
Top Bottom