Where do I stand?

Associate
Hi all

I'm just curious where I stand with a bit of an issue I have.

I work for a well known motor factor, in a "superhub" with over 70 employees working in different departments, 6 days a week with regular hours, and we are entitled to 20 days holiday a year. But, if you don't take the holiday, we lose it and they won't pay us for it either.
The issue is, it is extremely difficult to get time off, and more often or not, holiday requests are denied.
My week off I have just started, I had to wait 2 months for it, as they couldn't let me have the time off.
With the year quickly passing by, time is running out, and I still have 10 days left, but i'm just curious if there is anything I can do if they continue to refuse to allow me to take my holiday allowance?

Cheers

Man of Honour
Afaik they can't make it impossible for you to take it but they can tell you when you can take it.

So if they keep turning it down because you pick busy periods then get them to tell you when you can take it, it's not great as you lose the flexibility but you won't lose the time off.

If they keep turning it down and refuse to specify when you can take it then it's time for a chat with someone like citizens advice.

Soldato
I *think* that they need to give you double the amount of notice as the amount of leave they wish you to take.

For example, they need to give you at least two weeks notice if they want to tell you to have a specific week off.

What are the reasons for denying you your leave requests? If it's valid (i.e. insufficient cover due to existing leaving bookings) there's not much you can do. But if it's purely being denied out of inconvenience for your supervisor/managers or any other reason which isn't credible, it's unjust.

If they aren't telling you why you can't have the dates you require, make sure they start and I would suggest you ask them to provide an alternative if/when they deny again.

Associate
OP
The only reason they deny it, so far anyway, is due to too many people being off, but the issue is even though there are 70 plus people, they are all in different departments and so can't necessarily cover if any of us are off.
But all of us have difficulties getting time off due to them not being able to cover us, or too many people off.

Cheers

Soldato
6 days a week work and only 20 days annual leave (assume that you also get bank holidays taking you up to the 28days statutory allowance) with no carry over or buy back, sounds horrendous.

Are you making sure you always request your leave at least 2x the requested amount before hand? ie you want 1 weeks leave, you must ask for it at least 2 weeks before the leave.

Back
Top Bottom