Wireless bridge needed (I think)

Associate
Hi all,

We currently have Sky Fibre installed at our house. Our BT master socket is by the front door, but the rack with all the networking equipment is by the back of the house.

I currently use a TP Link Powerline adapter to get the internet connection from the modem/router by the front door to the cupboard at the back of the house where the networking gear lives.

The networking equipment comprises of a switch, cat6 patch panels etc, which feeds a Ubiquiti Unify AP-LR (first edition, no AC etc) that provides the whole house with wifi.

This works fine, apart from occasionally the TP Link powerline adapter will stop working (and needs a power cycle), and the internet speed drops about 10mbps between the powerline adapters.

So, I was thinking, should I get another (and newer) Unify AP and have that running by the front door, then a wireless bridge type thing in the networking cupboard to receive the wifi signal and provide a wired connection to the networking equipment?

Unfortunately I'm unable to run a cable from the master socket to the rear of the house where the networking equipment is (as I know that's the best solution).

If a wireless bridge is what I need, and with the wifi being Ubiquiti, what should I get please? Any suggestions would be greatly received.

Many thanks,

Edward

Soldato
Why can't you run a cable? As you say that would be the best option and worth a bit of effort.

How old are the Powerline adapters? If they're AV500 or earlier a new set might work better.

What are you using for a router?

If you enable the wireless on the router how strong is the signal where the rack is?

Associate
OP
Why can't you run a cable? As you say that would be the best option and worth a bit of effort.
It's a big 5 bedroom house, and there's no accessible route for the cable, without it being a big job (knocking holes in walls, plastering, painting etc etc)

How old are the Powerline adapters? If they're AV500 or earlier a new set might work better.
That's true. They are several years old now. I'll have to take a look to see what the latest and greatest are.

What are you using for a router?
We're just using the standard Sky FTTC modem (Sky Hub?)

If you enable the wireless on the router how strong is the signal where the rack is?
I haven't tried that, as I didn't want conflicting wifi in the house. A good idea though, to see what the strength would be like up there.

Soldato
For whatever reason, you originally made a bad choice (powerline), it was probably quick/easy and it worked, so you put up with it and it wasn’t till it was too late. We’ve all done it at some point, and now trying to mentally justify what you envisage as pulling a house apart after you’ve moved in/decorated is slightly daunting, but the reality is it’s often easier than you think.

Before making another compromise that you’ll likely regret later, seriously reconsider your cable options. Flat cable under the edge of carpets/along the gripper rod, running feeds behind skirting/door frames, using cupboards for access, taking a feed up to the loft and then down, bury/duct externally. You can always find a way to make it work if you actually want to. It’s unusual to find someone who has invested in a rack and reasonable kit to go in it etc. who doesn’t want to.

Back
Top Bottom