I've gone to the (BMW) dark side... but...

Soldato
...it's an X2.

After the 1 series/X1/X2 went FWD I thought that'd be the death of them for anyone interested in driving. I took out a brand new (10 miles) X2 Sport XDrive for a few hours today (the dealer just asked me to bring the keys back before they closed), and I was actually very pleasantly surprised. The chassis is very well done, the damping is almost perfect and it's a very nice, neutral steer. It corners leaps and bounds ahead of the stuff I've been driving the last few years (Mazda 6 SkyActiv G, Skoda Superb TSI, etc) and has just enough go about it (~190hp) to make decent progress ahead of most day-to-day traffic without being OTT.

So, I've ordered one because it's a cheap lease. BMW X2 Sport 20i XDrive with the 'sports auto' (ZF8 and paddles). Not the best car in the world, but for nipping between driving events/teaching and throwing down the odd B-road it's actually quite a nice place to be for what it is. I went for Black Sapphire and I'm already doubting my choice.

I've never owned a black car because I like to correct the paint and wax/seal it to keep it tidy. Black cars are - as most here know - hard to keep clean and show every little mar, swirl and imperfection. It does hide the hideous black plastic 'rugged look' trim across the bottom of the sides though. My Mrs has an S-Max in 'magnetic grey' which is very much alike to BMW's mineral grey. I needed something different and I don't like white.

I did have the option of a (RWD) 2 series coupe at the same money, but only in 218i guise. I'm certainly a fan of a revvy engine you can wind out on a B road without losing your licence before you're in 3rd gear as much as the next man, but 130hp was just too little for my tastes. Having three kids, the X2 is surprisingly roomy as well, so that was that. Anyway, they reckon November delivery. What have I done? :D

Soldato
I’ve got a black F25 X3 35d and a black F54 Mini Cooper D Clubman.

I gave up trying to keep them pristine a while back. They get cleaned obviously, but within 12 seconds of finishing any cleaning attempt they look dusty. They do look great though.

If you want something that always looks clean, go for something like a silver or grey.

I think (?) the auto box in our Mini is the same as what you’ll have in the X2. I agree with you it’s a good box, you can tell a difference with the ZF8HP that our X3 has, but in honesty, it’s minimal.

Soldato
The 8 speed boxes in the Mini’s are the same (older 6 speed box also made by Aisin)

My wife has it in her Mini it is a good box we both preferred it over the 7 speed DCT. You can tell it runs very similar software to the BMW ZF box. It’s not quite as good I’d say 97-98%. In sport mode on the ZF box it slams in the next gear with a huge kick apparently all in software to make the change feel faster it annoys me in a BMW. It’s another level in the Mini I suspect it’s because of the transverse engine layout the engine and gearbox are both moving more on the change it can also cause the wheels to spin on every gear change up to 6th ! (It does have poor Pirelli P7 tyres on it)

My wife insisted on a black Mini with a red roof and some pattern of stickers I couldn’t change her mind. It’s not been too bad as I generally wash the cars every weekend. Get a got wax on it and a quick hose down gets most of the dirt off, it’s not too dusty where I am so it normally looks pristine for a week or two if I miss a wash.

Soldato
I had a look around the X2 recently and really liked it. Didn't like the massive 20" wheels fitted to the car but that's personal taste, I feel they're too large for the type of car (expensive tyres to replace).
I still have a first gen X1 (61 plate). It's the car I've owned the longest at just over 7 years. I don't have kids but it's been great for a few house moves, purchasing larger items, occasionally helping out the elderly parents & working away too with enough storage for suitcase + fold up bike etc without being visible to those who might like to steal stuff. A nice all round practical car, with the xDrive system too for winter. Handles well but trade off is a sometimes harsh ride over potholes etc, not helped by the 18" wheels - I'd prefer 17's personally.
I'd never buy a black car :), but, just not my taste.
I'm sure it'll be a good car.

Soldato
OP
I had a look around the X2 recently and really liked it. Didn't like the massive 20" wheels fitted to the car but that's personal taste, I feel they're too large for the type of car (expensive tyres to replace).

Yeah I agree, I'd rather small wheels and deeper tyres myself (within reason). Some nice info so far, and I've been reading up on the Aisin box for the transverse engines and BMW's choice over the new ZF 9 speed. It'll be nice to have my own wheels again. I was going to buy something privately (I'd looked at everything from a Scooby to Alfas) but at the price I've decided to stick at this for now.

Soldato
So? He's still paying for it :confused:
True.
But when you buy a car, you try and keep it pristine in order to maintain some sort of residual value when you come to sell up.

Yes you have a sense of pride in keeping it clean etc and some like it looking great but ultimately the value is seen when selling.

However when you lease a car you hand it back with no residual value as its just a long term rental. So keeping it clean is literally down to your own pride in the looks of the thing.

Man of Honour
But when you buy a car, you try and keep it pristine in order to maintain some sort of residual value when you come to sell up

I've never had a trade-in value dependant on which polish I've used. I don't think I've ever considered residuals when keeping my car nice.

You either want to drive around in a tatty bucket or you don't, unsure why your particular method of funding is relevant.

Soldato
OP
True.
But when you buy a car, you try and keep it pristine in order to maintain some sort of residual value when you come to sell up.

Yes you have a sense of pride in keeping it clean etc and some like it looking great but ultimately the value is seen when selling.

However when you lease a car you hand it back with no residual value as its just a long term rental. So keeping it clean is literally down to your own pride in the looks of the thing.

Which, as a petrol head, I do have. I’ve still got to drive the thing for three years, and I’ve never handed back a lease that wasn’t run on premium fuel, polished and waxed. The next owner doesn’t want a car that’s been abused, and nor would I. Whether that makes me a dying minority or just a neck beard, I don’t care. It is what it is and I take pride in my vehicles and my driving.

Soldato
True.

I don't understand, why would you be happy driving around in a dirty car?

Soldato
Wow you guys need to chill out. :o

Never mentioned or condoned keeping it tatty or dirty or abused? Just said don't worry about maintaining the paint!

Simply meant to not worry too much about swirl marks and imperfections etc.

I understand that some petrol heads are into detailing and keeping their kit looking good. I got into it at one point with the whole polisher kit and 2 buckets and lambswool mitts and clay mitts etc etc.

I'm just saying on a lease it's wasted money as you don't get anything back aside from keeping it looking great. If that's your deal then fair play.

I doubt anyone's had a car valued on which polish is used but I'm pretty sure the value will increase if its interior and exterior have been cared for to a high standard.

Point I'm making is when you buy a car, the detailing side of things makes sense. Not so much when you lease.

Each to their own I guess.

Man of Honour
Point I'm making is when you buy a car, the detailing side of things makes sense. Not so much when you lease.

Virtually none of the detailing stuff makes any difference to residual value though. It's simply not something you do to retain value and therefore it shouldn't make much difference how it's funded.

Soldato
Yeah I agree, I'd rather small wheels and deeper tyres myself (within reason). Some nice info so far, and I've been reading up on the Aisin box for the transverse engines and BMW's choice over the new ZF 9 speed. It'll be nice to have my own wheels again. I was going to buy something privately (I'd looked at everything from a Scooby to Alfas) but at the price I've decided to stick at this for now.

Got the ZF9 in my Evoque. I don’t really like it - significantly slower than then 8HP70 ZF8 in my old Velar and takes an age when moving between drive and reverse. I can see why BMW might have preferred to stay with Asin.

Soldato
Wow you guys need to chill out. :o

Never mentioned or condoned keeping it tatty or dirty or abused? Just said don't worry about maintaining the paint!

Simply meant to not worry too much about swirl marks and imperfections etc.

I understand that some petrol heads are into detailing and keeping their kit looking good. I got into it at one point with the whole polisher kit and 2 buckets and lambswool mitts and clay mitts etc etc.

I'm just saying on a lease it's wasted money as you don't get anything back aside from keeping it looking great. If that's your deal then fair play.

I doubt anyone's had a car valued on which polish is used but I'm pretty sure the value will increase if its interior and exterior have been cared for to a high standard.

Each to their own I guess.

No one washes their car based on purusing maintaining residuals! The argument to keep a lease well looked after to minimise chance of beyond wear and tear damage is far more relevant to the argument you are trying to make!

Back
Top Bottom