How many of you or those you know get mangled on a weekend?

I don't know any one can really give a great view on this given their age will be a big reason they see a difference. When I was in my 20s was drank more. Now I'm in my 30s I barely drink.

We have houses, kids, jobs, other ways to have fun, sense, and most of all, partners so need to go out and get wasted 3/4 time a week.

I don't go to the gym so much now either I'm in a relationship, all my single friends that went to the gym daily too have stopped now they've got partners. I wouldn't say gym membership and use is down though.

If there's any reduction, I'd definitely say online dating is a factor and price. £50 is easily achievable for a cheap night out including taxis both ways. 3/4 guys, all of a sudden £200 has been spent for one night that you half remember.

Makes no sense to me.

I'm sure though if I was 20 again, I'd certainly not feel that drinking and going out was dead.

Soldato
ahh back in the day ,start at the craven heifer heckmondwike (been flats for a long time) meet the gang ,then taxi to dewsbury or batley ,most places packed to the rafters ,physically hard to get through to the bar,,get totally wasted .
then onto a nightclub Paul Antonys ,where you were sure to pull ,i remember it was normal to randomly snog passing females ,sometimes they would just come and sit on your knee if sat down
or the frontier batley ,again just get even more wasted .
then if you hadnt pulled and were going elsewhere ,a vindaloo and back home ,your 25 quid gone

SPG

SPG

Soldato
It was better back in the late 80s early 90`s,

In 80s you rushed to get **** from 7 till 11 then you could only go nightlcubbing wearing trousers at least in Mansfield (but that is a special place) the pubs were rammed and it was social. You could watch a proper fight where men were men and used fists, kicks and headbutts and if you were decked 9/10 you was left alone and that was just the taxi rank none of this knife malarky.

Supermarkets and shops need to be taxed more for alcohol if you want the pubs to survive, but i think people are more health aware now and unless your in the 18-22 brackets downtown drinking sessions are a thing of the past.

The real ale taliban has also killed places, where its old men demanding pubs of yesteryear where they still have cows in the back and a pie made from sludge to qualify as a decent pub :)

(oh and IPA the craze of Indian **** ale has ruined beer, i hate the stuff bring back a nice pint of mixed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Soldato
Used to throughout the 90's and early 00's. Used to regularly discover multiple £60-80 bar receipts on a Saturday morning. 90's were an absolute riot though, we used to neck 8 packs of cafferys or vodka before going out, it always got messy.

These days I don't drink and haven't for going on 3 years

Soldato
It's just an age thing. In my 20s I was out five nights a week. As I approach 40 with two kids, I now have a night out every couple of months.

I no longer drink at home, as I don't see the point unless we do have friends over.

Caporegime
Indeed. Gone from 4 days a week in a pub/club in my teens/20s to drinking maybe 20 pints a year.... I bought 6 cans the other week, first time this year lol. 2 left. #sad

I plan to drink to excess at Xmas however, go me ...

G J

G J

Associate
The majority of people I knew when I was younger went to these places for the women and/or get completely smashed.

Sad though losing 80-90% of your friends if you didnt drink or want to get into drugs.

Soldato
It is so expensive to drink in pubs and so cheap to drink at home, I'm not surprised pubs are closing and people are drinking at home. Added to the internet and multi channel TV people have more entertainment choices now so can avoid human company. Used to be going to the pub was a major social activity, but stay in and binge a TV show seems to have replaced that.

I would like the Government to halve duty on pub alcohol and double it on shop bought to encourage and support our unique pub culture that is dying so fast.

Caporegime
I don't drink and if we frame alcohol as drug the same way we do illegal drugs the notion that people are opting to stay at home and get really high on it is even more pathetic than the people who go out to do it in a more controlled public environment.

I agree, the city is definitely quieter than it used to be.

"I don't do x and anyone who does is pathetic"

That's rubberduck levels of stupid.

Soldato
Too expensive to get regularly ****** in a pub now.

This really!

I remember when i was 18 and was able to visit clubs and such establishments. On a Thursday night they had an offer of buy 1 get 2 free on pretty much all drinks. I mean it looked ******* stupid with everyone carrying around armfuls of bottles. But either way you could get pretty wasted for less than a tenner. Nowadays you'd be lucky if a tenner stretches across 2 pints.

I imagine most people now would rather buy booze from the supermarket, have a load to drink before finishing the night at a bar/club where they only need to "top up".

Caporegime
The majority of people I knew when I was younger went to these places for the women and/or get completely smashed.

Sad though losing 80-90% of your friends if you didnt drink or want to get into drugs.

If your friends pick booze and/or drugs over being social with you then they're not very good friends I'm afraid :(

To clarify my stance I enjoy a drink and after a week of hard work I thoroughly enjoy playing games with my mates on the PS4 on a Friday night which is accompanied by many, many beers. I genuinely go nuts, and my friends range from teetotal to drinking with me, we're all tolerant and accepting of each others' wishes but at the end of the day we all have a good laugh. Yes drinking in a pub is nice but my friends are spread out all over the world so it's not really an option unfortunately. We're meeting up next month for an epic meet however, it'll be our biggest meet yet and we're going to be drinking like teenagers, can't wait.

My online friends are basically family, we've known each other for yonks and always make sure to have a meet now and then, and look after each other in ways that most social circles can only dream of :cool:

Soldato
28 here. I don't really go out drinking at weekends now when given the option. For me, the turn off is just how crowded places are on a Friday/Saturday night. You pay over the odds for your drinks, to then be in a crowded place where people are constantly pushing past you to get "somewhere", and it's so loud you can't really hold down a conversation with your mates. Not really a great atmosphere. I'd say this may be an age thing, but when i was 18-21 and went out more regularly I don't remember having this issue (but perhaps I have rose tinted glasses?).

A night in a bar/pub during the week is much more pleasurable, so we've started opting for this instead :)

Caporegime
Changed in my local town, every Friday and Saturday the local pubs would be busy as anything. New year's? Pubs would be rammed, you'd have to go out the back door then around to the front to get to the bar it was that busy.

Nowadays Fridays and Saturdays are a lot less busier (we actually talk to our landlord and lady so they confirm this :p) and new year's it's loads less busy, just is for some reason. They also find youth now just aren't as friendly or willing to get to know the pub essentially as we where. They've been there 35 years so have seen it all change over the years

Man of Honour
With the rise of internet dating, you don't need to go out anymore to pubs or clubs to get attention from the opposite sex.

Jesus H. Christ, that made me feel my age.
From around 20/21 right through to my late 30s, I, (and anyone who didn’t look like Freddie Kruger), could sail into a pub/bar, and if you had enough front, and went about it in an intelligent way, you’d rarely miss.
I don’t mean that you’d end up in the sack that night, but you couldn’t fail to get into conversation, and get a date, or at least a phone number.
Just say something innocuous, make them smile, and run with it, but slowly, don’t push it, or stray into their personal space, they were human just like you, and probably welcomed an easy going, laid back approach.
As for going into pubs, when I was working, I’d be in the pub at least two nights in the week, and every Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.
As a London taxi driver, in a cash oriented job, I always had £80-£100 in my shirt breast pocket, so I didn’t care how much I spent, tomorrow was another day, and I could go get some more.
When I quit working, reality set in, I had to go to an ATM if I wanted cash, so I only go to the pub about once in ten days now, but I always have a couple of bottles of Absolut, or Grey Goose vodka in the freezer, but just as before, I never get totally wasted, just get my buzz on, that’s good enough.

Soldato
I used to in uni, back in late 2000s and it wasnt my best time in life, but the drinks were cheap and I had no responsibilities. Now I haven't drank in a month and before that was rare, maybe a few bottles in the house on my own if the Mrs was at work. Or a bottle of whisky over a few weeks. Just don't have the desire or money now.

Caporegime
Most local towns around here are quiet on a Saturday night compared to what it was like early to mid 2000s, I think it's too expensive to get wrecked every weekend nowadays.

I can remember going out for a tenner in the late 90s and getting half cooked, £1 a pint etc.

In my early twenties I'd be out Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Now I go out once a month if that.

Caporegime
Only folk that are middle class or those pretending or want to be middle class go out regularly these days in the city centre.

Tramps go out regularly outside the city centre where they can have a cheap pint in a dive.

A lot of the younger generation prefer to go to the gym to look like their idols from love Island, towie, etc.

Then you have the fact a lot of kids are living with parents and leasing cars for £500 a month. They simply don't have the cash to go out out.

Back
Top Bottom