• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

upgrade from 1080gtx to 2080super / 2080ti

Associate
Hi all,

Ill make it as short as possible. Current setup:

Intel i7-5820K @ 4.3ghz (won't go any higher at all T_T)
Asus TUF X99 Sabertooth Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit
Noctua NH-D15S Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler
GTX 1080
120gb / 500gb Samsung Evo SSD's
27" 1440p 144hz gsync monitor

I was debating upgrading my CPU but at 1440p for gaming i was shocked to see next to no benefit going from a 5820k to a 9900k for example.

So onto the GPU's i go, is it worth upgrading from a 1080gtx to a 2080 super or 2080ti?

I do regret not spending a bit extra and getting a 1080ti if I'm honest. If i did that I probably wouldn't be in this situation now but holy **** paying 1k for a 2080ti is a chunk of change.

Any opinions? cheers

Last edited:
Associate
I'm surprised there would be little reason to upgrade cpu. From what i can see there would be a fairly large bottleneck.

I think the 2080s and 9900k would be a great match. I have a 2070s and that was a noticable upgrade from 1080.

Cheers.

Caporegime
I'm surprised there would be little reason to upgrade cpu. From what i can see there would be a fairly large bottleneck.

I think the 2080s and 9900k would be a great match. I have a 2070s and that was a noticable upgrade from 1080.

Cheers.
Good to see as a 2070s is my next planned upgrade from my 1080.

Associate
OP

Cheers.

i thought so too and it appears to be the case for 1080p gaming. but at 1440p the bottleneck happens at the GPU long before the CPU... please correct me if i'm wrong.

what res do you game at on that 2070s?

Soldato
Wait for next year. If you're gonna spend big might as well do it on next-gen. If you were at 4K then maybe you could be more impatient about it but at 1440p? Just keep trucking.

Caporegime
Got a 1080 myself and I don't think it's worth upgrading unless you buy a 5700 and mod it so it performs just as well as a stock 5700xt. It would be a free upgrade or only cost you around £50 to go from a 1080 to 1080ti performance by getting a 5700 and modding it.

Permabanned
It really depends where you have problems at the moment.

If all your games are running just fine then you aren't really going to notice much difference with any upgrade.

It's been the case for some time that upgrading the CPU has the least effect but you may find a difference in is smoothness of play especially in stressful conditions, so it may well be the best upgrade for you. Depends really whether you have any games that suffer low frame rates and laggy performance.

Upgrading the GPU tends to impact very directly on the FPS at all times, so are there any games where the FPS is too low? Where it drops to unacceptable levels or unplayable levels?

I mean I have just been forced in to an upgrade from a 1080 to a 2070S and I have to say that I consider it worthwhile because it significantly boosted one of the games I play. I probably wouldn't have upgraded though had my 1080 not blown up! ( It's in for repairs but I couldn't wait, lol ). I am not sure I would consider a 2080 though, they are a lot more expensive for not much extra gain.

Man of Honour
Hi all,

Ill make it as short as possible. Current setup:

Intel i7-5820K @ 4.3ghz (won't go any higher at all T_T)
Asus TUF X99 Sabertooth Intel X99 (Socket 2011) DDR4 ATX Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C14 2400MHz Quad Channel Kit
Noctua NH-D15S Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler
GTX 1080
120gb / 500gb Samsung Evo SSD's
27" 1440p 144hz gsync monitor

I was debating upgrading my CPU but at 1440p for gaming i was shocked to see next to no benefit going from a 5820k to a 9900k for example.

So onto the GPU's i go, is it worth upgrading from a 1080gtx to a 2080 super or 2080ti?

I do regret not spending a bit extra and getting a 1080ti if I'm honest. If i did that I probably wouldn't be in this situation now but holy **** paying 1k for a 2080ti is a chunk of change.

Any opinions? cheers

You are using a 144htz 1440p monitor so a high clocking CPU like a 9900k does help a bit with some games.

If you want to get close to maxing out modern games @144htz a 2080 Ti is what you need.

Having said that it all depends on the games you are playing and how demanding they are.

Soldato
i thought so too and it appears to be the case for 1080p gaming. but at 1440p the bottleneck happens at the GPU long before the CPU... please correct me if i'm wrong.

The CPU does indeed play a part even at 1440P, I'll try and find it and add it later but Digital Foundry did a video ages ago about CPU performance at higher than 1080P resolutions and the impact it has with frame times etc...

As for upgrading, Honestly I'd wait, The Turing cards have been out around a year and a few months, Normally I'd never say "wait and see" but considering Nvidia said the prices of Turing were high to recoup some of their R&D costs I'm expecting, Hopefully, For the 3000 series to come back down to sane levels of pricing, I'd personally wait for them, And if Nvidia do continue their insane pricing model then at least you'll be able to get some decent deals on preowned 2000 series cards.

Caporegime
The CPU does indeed play a part even at 1440P, I'll try and find it and add it later but Digital Foundry did a video ages ago about CPU performance at higher than 1080P resolutions and the impact it has with frame times etc...

As for upgrading, Honestly I'd wait, The Turing cards have been out around a year and a few months, Normally I'd never say "wait and see" but considering Nvidia said the prices of Turing were high to recoup some of their R&D costs I'm expecting, Hopefully, For the 3000 series to come back down to sane levels of pricing, I'd personally wait for them, And if Nvidia do continue their insane pricing model then at least you'll be able to get some decent deals on preowned 2000 series cards.
I wouldn’t hold your breath. With the £/$ exchange rate at its lowest for years and NVidia seeing that even at £1k+ people will still buy the top end cards they have no incentive to keep prices low. The only real possibility is if AMD can come up with something that is at least on par with the next green card at a much lower price so forcing Nvidia’s hand on price.

Having said that there are still masses of people that wouldn’t ever buy red. I’m kind of limited by my G-Sync screen which I don’t plan in changing for many years.

Soldato
This is why I mentioned in another thread that I hope next gen consoles cannibalize GPU sales as this will lower the costs simply because more of them will be sitting on the shelves gathering dust.

If a lot of potential GPU customers forego buying a next gen GPU and instead by a console less demand will lower prices.

If prices for GPU's continue to increase more people will be priced out and instead look at alternatives such as consoles.

Associate
OP
thx for the replies all.

i mainly play MMORPG's if I'm honest which are often not the best optimised. I have started to notice my FPS is now average with 1440p.

Do we have any idea when the next line of GPU's will come?
I'm not sure if the 2070s would be enough of a gain to warrant the change?
In the past ive usually OC'd my GPU's mildly to get them to close in on the next model up, is this still a thing with say the 2070s or is it already at the max?

cheers all

Soldato
thx for the replies all.

i mainly play MMORPG's if I'm honest which are often not the best optimised. I have started to notice my FPS is now average with 1440p.

Do we have any idea when the next line of GPU's will come?
I'm not sure if the 2070s would be enough of a gain to warrant the change?
In the past ive usually OC'd my GPU's mildly to get them to close in on the next model up, is this still a thing with say the 2070s or is it already at the max?

cheers all

Based on current info Nvidia have zero coming out this year at the high end i.e 2070 and up as their super series covers pretty much all bases, Only other cards coming out are likely from AMD i.e big Navi but so far it's just rumours.

Back
Top Bottom