ASUS Strix DSP Gaming Headset

Associate
Hi all

im wondering if you can help please.

I have this headset and when playing pubg, i feel like i need more volume.

windows, pubg, the headset are all set to max.

I have tried voice meter potato, this made it much louder, but the downside is that it spoiled the game, and made things sound out of context.

To me it was much more easy to play and tell where the shots etc were coming from without running voice meter potato.

I also tried loudness equalisation in speaker propitiates, again this made it louder, but spoiled the game, (its nice and loud and can hear stuff well, but when gun shots are firing, the volume goes quite)

do you think it is the headset?

It is plugged in via usb.

my mobo is a aorus master, and the rest of my spec is in my stig.

what would you recommend please?

thanks
ian

Soldato
The problem here with USB headsets, is that the volume is limited to what the amplification hardware inside the headset is capable of. If the volume within software is set to 100%, then you can probably only make it louder by messing around with equalisation; but that as you found out, that can make the sound worse.

USB headsets are not like headsets or headphones that connect to an analogue output, such a sound card or a DAC/headphone amp, where amplification can be used to increase volume. If a sound card is not proving enough volume to headphones, you can swap that for one that has more powerful output, if that is such a way to word it.

You can't increase the amplification with a USB headset, because the electronics that control that are inside the headset. It's a closed system, if you like.

I dare say, there is not a lot you can do, other than what you have already tried.

Associate
OP
thank you for your reply Marsman

what would you recommend please?,

If i was to get a new headset and plug it into my aorus master motherboard, would that deliver louder sounds do you think? or would I need to get a good sound card and headset?

thanks
ian

Soldato
I also tried just plugging my headset into my mobo, so the amp box thing was not used. I can hear things well, but the mic wont work
Apparently only standard connector it has is four contact plug like used for phones/tablets.
So it needs TRRS female - 2x TRS male splitter to separate headphone playback and mic signal.
CTIA splitter is likely one name for needed adapter.

SBX G6 is certainly very good external sound card with Creative's good binaural sound simulation and also console compatiblity.
Though Creative should be soon releasing sound card with head shape customizable HRTF Super X-Fi tech, which would improve directionality/positioning lot most people.

Hearing in 3D with two ears is based on brain "reading" direction dependant changes shape of the head+pinnae cause to signal received by ears from sound source.
So obviously different head shapes have different binaural cues.
And that makes all average head shape based HRTF algorithms compromises.

Soldato
thank you for your reply Marsman

what would you recommend please?,

If i was to get a new headset and plug it into my aorus master motherboard, would that deliver louder sounds do you think? or would I need to get a good sound card and headset?

thanks
ian

I don't think you'd necessarily need a sound card for louder volume. I imagine that onboard audio of the motherboard will have better amplification than what it is inside the USB headset.

Just looking at your other posts, I can see you said the sound is better by just connecting to the motherboard audio, rather than using USB. Esat is most likely correct, when he said that the headset uses a 4 pole connection; so headphone and microphone are all in one jack. PC analogue audio always has headphone and microphone assigned to different jacks. It should work if you have a splitter to separate the left and right headphone connections from the microphone.

The only caveat to doing that would be when it comes to locating sounds, or 5.1/7.1 audio, if you like. The USB part of the headset provides that, but few motherboards come with the ability to create 5.1/7.1 over headphones though. There is additional software that can be used to do this, but some are better than others. Razer's software is free, but isn't really very good. Arguably, Creative's SBX prostudio is the best for FPS gaming, but I think that costs £30 from Creative's website; otherwise, you'd need a sound card to do that.

If looking at sound cards; the Creative G6 is a good choice and about as good as you can get really. Of course, that does mean spending £120 then extra on another headset or headphones; or if you can get your headset microphone working by using a splitter, then you could use your headset instead of spending more on something else. If looking at headphones instead, then you'd have to factor in additional cost for a microphone.

It's tricky what to recommend you do; comes down to what you'd ideally want to spend I guess.

Associate
OP
Thank you for you time and reply Caposecina

Im not sure what to do tbh.

I have also been looking at different headsets, I would like one that is a all in one, so dont need a external mic.

I I went for something like the

steelseries artis pro and gamedac
logitech g933
astro a50

would they give louder and better sound than my current strix dsp?

thanks
ian

Soldato
I'd probably rule out Astro first of all. Their Mixamp is good, but I've seen too many people say their headsets are overpriced rubbish.

The other two make use of USB for the surround sound effect, so are reliant on internal electronics when it comes to maximum volume. Only way to get any idea of what kind of volume you can expect from those, would be to look at user reviews. I guess most people won't actually have compared them to anything else, so you might have to trawl through quite a few to find any meaningful comparison to other headsets.

None of those manufacturers would be my choice though. If I were looking to buy a headset, then I'd rather buy something like a Sennheiser GSP500 or 600 over those mentioned above. Sennheiser have a history of making great headphones and they have made some very good headsets. Logitech and Steelseries, to me are companies that make mice and keyboards, who then decided to get into making audio equipment.

To use an analogy; I'd rather buy a TV from a company who are known for making TVs, not a company who make toasters, who then decided to branch out into making TVs. ;)

Soldato
steelseries artis pro and gamedac
logitech g933
astro a50

would they give louder and better sound than my current strix dsp?
Wouldn't pay hundreds for gaming trinkets.
You can get good headphones made by actual audio makers for £100.
Depending on manufacturer there are even spare parts available to keep headphone going for decades.

I'd probably rule out Astro first of all. Their Mixamp is good, but I've seen too many people say their headsets are overpriced rubbish.

Logitech and Steelseries, to me are companies that make mice and keyboards, who then decided to get into making audio equipment.
Mixamp uses average Dolby Headphone, so overall even it isn't that great.
Also its output isn't that strong.

Logitech is actually ~40 year old company and long time PC accessory/peripheral maker.
But Steelseries is one of these late comers founded exclusively when it was noticed that gamers will buy any trinket garnished with enough bling bling, fancy name and marketing hype.

V F

V F

Soldato

The other two make use of USB for the surround sound effect, so are reliant on internal electronics when it comes to maximum volume. Only way to get any idea of what kind of volume you can expect from those, would be to look at user reviews. I guess most people won't actually have compared them to anything else, so you might have to trawl through quite a few to find any meaningful comparison to other headsets.

None of those manufacturers would be my choice though. If I were looking to buy a headset, then I'd rather buy something like a Sennheiser GSP500 or 600 over those mentioned above. Sennheiser have a history of making great headphones and they have made some very good headsets. Logitech and Steelseries, to me are companies that make mice and keyboards, who then decided to get into making audio equipment.

To use an analogy; I'd rather buy a TV from a company who are known for making TVs, not a company who make toasters, who then decided to branch out into making TVs. ;)

...but Panasonic makes good TV's as well as ovens.

Back
Top Bottom