Preparing a house for sale

Pet Northerner
Don
I'm in the same boat OP.

House is being valued on Sat (one of 4 appointments).

I've repainted my dining room and a bedroom, and I'll be giving the front room carpet a super deep clean (although its in good nick). The kitchen was done last year but the paintwork will be touched up from where I've needed to wipe a stain.

I've done the back garden with artificial turf and decking so the mid terrace ming is gone ( and I've enjoyed it the past few months).

Things to do:

1. Clear out the garage and get the garage door repaired.
2. I really should re-paper the front room, as a bit of the lining paper has pulled away from itself ( so you see a line in the wall), however I'll probably hand pictures on that wall to detract somewhat.

I'm in the same mind about how far I should go. My area has a lot of buy-to-let owners, so I imagine the house will be gutted regardless.

If I get full value of the street avg, I'll have 40k equity, so I'm also in the mind of not doing too much more and loosing a couple of k just to get it gone.

Soldato
We're in an interesting position in that we're selling 2 houses currently.

One is 4/5 Bed detached built in the 70's and it needs complete modernisation, we've been advised by estate agents and anyone else who'll listen that we should plump no money into it, sell it as a project so that's what we're doing. Been valued as is at £525K but we're not getting much interest so looks like we'll need to reduce to £500K.

The house we currently live in was built in 2008, a 3 bedroom end of terrace - we essentially bought it new (6 Months old) and it's had 10 years of abuse from us, 4 dogs and 4 cats. We're having to repaint the entire thing (Contrary to belief this isn't cheap because we need paint which can be washed due to the animals) and install new flooring on the ground floor because the existing floor is wrecked. The estate agent reckoned if we left it as is, it'll be worth about £270K as we're 'competing' with some new builds up the road, but if we decorated and spruced it up, it would potentially go for £300K with the sweet spot he reckons of £290/£295K to get people in to view.

So far we're about £1.5K~£2K (Estimate) into the refresh and have come to the conclusion that now the main decoration is almost done (Downstairs) that we're just going to touch up the upstairs, which to be fair was nowhere near as bad as the downstairs.

I keep telling Mrs HB that we need a sort out, get shot of loads of things to maximise the space and declutter as much as possible as realistically, new owners will want to put their own stamp on it.

Pet Northerner
Don
We're in an interesting position in that we're selling 2 houses currently.

One is 4/5 Bed detached built in the 70's and it needs complete modernisation, we've been advised by estate agents and anyone else who'll listen that we should plump no money into it, sell it as a project so that's what we're doing. Been valued as is at £525K but we're not getting much interest so looks like we'll need to reduce to £500K.

The house we currently live in was built in 2008, a 3 bedroom end of terrace - we essentially bought it new (6 Months old) and it's had 10 years of abuse from us, 4 dogs and 4 cats. We're having to repaint the entire thing (Contrary to belief this isn't cheap because we need paint which can be washed due to the animals) and install new flooring on the ground floor because the existing floor is wrecked. The estate agent reckoned if we left it as is, it'll be worth about £270K as we're 'competing' with some new builds up the road, but if we decorated and spruced it up, it would potentially go for £300K with the sweet spot he reckons of £290/£295K to get people in to view.

So far we're about £1.5K~£2K (Estimate) into the refresh and have come to the conclusion that now the main decoration is almost done (Downstairs) that we're just going to touch up the upstairs, which to be fair was nowhere near as bad as the downstairs.

I keep telling Mrs HB that we need a sort out, get shot of loads of things to maximise the space and declutter as much as possible as realistically, new owners will want to put their own stamp on it.

I so badly need to get mrs. mint to agree to a skip and have a good purge of all the **** we've managed to accrue in the last 12 years

Permabanned
I did nothing apart from paint the walls and took some of the carpets up that needed replacements. Everything else was fine. I could have changed the kitchen and bathroom + living room but wasn't worth the extra time and expense in the end. Sold it for 10K less and then the person who purchased it is doing it up at their expense but got the property cheaper.

Caporegime
Special guy checking in :D.

I noticed they have a F&B shop in the west end and I've passed it a few times and never really realised what it was.

Tbh £100 a tin is cheap if you think about the price of a house but what makes it worth it over £20-£40 Johnstones out of B&M? Johnstones is what usually comes recommended and much better than watery dulux, etc.

I honestly want to try some of this magical paint but I can't help but feel like I would be setting fire to money. Do they do samples?

Soldato
Farrow & Ball is weird too. I've personally not used it so I can't comment that authoritively, but a friend used some and showed me a video of them just peeling it off after. It was a dark colour on white as well but they could just put their hand behind it like it was cling film/plastic wallpaper and pull it off leaving the white perfectly intact.

Looked like the weirdest thing for paint.

Caporegime
I noticed they have a F&B shop in the west end and I've passed it a few times and never really realised what it was.

Tbh £100 a tin is cheap if you think about the price of a house but what makes it worth it over £20-£40 Johnstones out of B&M? Johnstones is what usually comes recommended and much better than watery dulux, etc.

I honestly want to try some of this magical paint but I can't help but feel like I would be setting fire to money. Do they do samples?

Yeah - a snip at £4.50 delivered for 100ml :D.

What I love about F&B is 1. the way the paint goes on the walls and the coverage and 2. the boring neutral colour palettes, but most of all 3. the snobby showrooms and the utter middle classness that oozes out of every tin :p.

Farrow & Ball is weird too. I've personally not used it so I can't comment that authoritively, but a friend used some and showed me a video of them just peeling it off after. It was a dark colour on white as well but they could just put their hand behind it like it was cling film/plastic wallpaper and pull it off leaving the white perfectly intact.

Looked like the weirdest thing for paint.

My honest best guess is that this was caused by something to do with the white paint and would have happened with any other brand of top coat.

Back
Top Bottom