AKG K702

Associate
Hi all

after reading many many pages on here, im leaning towards the akg k702

but what else would i need please?

modmic?
external sound card? if so somthing that i can plug the modmic into and external speakers (3.5m jack), and a mic mute button would be nice.

thanks
ian

Associate
OP
Could anyone recommend a external sound card,amp,dac to use with the k702 headphones and a modmic please.

For games like pubg.

Somthing like the sound blaster omni 5.1?

Many thanks
Ian

Soldato
Sound blaster Omni doesn't have much of a headphone output, in the way of power. It's OK for easy to drive headphones, but the AKG K7** series are quite demanding headphones. They need more power to reach higher volumes than a lot of other headphones. They are kind of like a double edged sword, you could say. They are among the best headphones for gaming, but you need to buy something with a decent headphone amp as well, especially if you like louder volume. They will work from just motherboard audio, but you may not get the volume you desire.

To be honest, there isn't much short of a Creative AE-5 (internal) or G6 (external) that has a really decent headphone amp that also provides surround sound to headphones.

FiiO E10K will power them fine, but as that is just a basic DAC, you won't get any kind of 5.1 sound placement; only what you might get built into a game. Some games have that, some don't. To my knowledge, PUBG doesn't; so you'd only just get stereo with the E10K alone.

You could use a E10K and get surround sound, but you'd need additional software to provide the algorithms for 5.1 surround sound; such as Creative's SBX software pack. That comes with the AE-5 and G6, so most people looking for surround sound in games, just buy one of them. Once you've paid for a E10K and SBX software, it doesn't work out that much cheaper. For gaming, arguably the AE-5 or G6 are worth the extra.

Modmic is a good choice of microphone. There may be a version that has mute, but I'm not sure.

There are other headphones to consider that aren't as demanding as the AKG's; headphones that will work fine with the cheaper Omni, such as Beyerdynamic DT770 (closed back) & DT990 (open back). DT770 may be a better choice than the DT990 though, purely because there are lower Ohm versions intended for devices with lower power output.

Another option could be Sennheiser GSP500/600 headset. You wouldn't need a separate microphone and being easy to drive, should work fine from a Creative Omni. You could just use GSP500/600 with motherboard audio, as that should power them no problem, but you'd still get the issue of no surround sound in games, unless the game itself has it built in. As I mentioned before, I don't think PUBG does; so you'd really need something like the Omni as well.

From purely a gaming performance perspective, the AKG's are really tough to beat when it comes to placing sounds using surround sound, they are possibly the top headphones for that, but obviously come with greater cost, due to needing a better headphone amp and a separate microphone. I suppose it comes down to whether you'd think it's worth spending that extra.

Caporegime
Thank you very much Marsman.

I went for the k702, sound blaster g6 and modmic with mute.

Many thanks
Ian

I had a lot of issues with my modmic I don't think it warranted the extra money over a clip on mic for £1-£2. It was better but not that much better and it's not easy to use with multiple headphones that I have.

I now use a Blue Yeti Nano Premium USB mic. It's on a mounting arm to the side of my face with a pop filter and foam cover.

Associate
I went for the k702, sound blaster g6 and modmic with mute.

Exactly the setup I have. I found the modmic tricky to position initially but it's been on for 6 months now with no complaints. The sound blaster software takes a bit of setting up and not sure the surround is really better in pubg than the K702's in stereo. I find it's brilliant for gunshot direction but confusing for footsteps. May just be me though!

The K702's are really nice.

Back
Top Bottom