Decent wardrobes that "flatpack"?

Soldato
I moved house recently, unfortunately my wide solid oak wardrobe is too big to get up the stairs (they go up in a u shape). I am having to get rid of it.

This means I need to get a new wardrobe of some description. I don't have loads of clothes but the usual sorts of things, and the main thing I can't really put in my chest of drawers is my work shirts.

Is there anyone out there who is making decent wardrobes that I can take to bits? IKEA stuff is OK and I will consider it, but wondering if there is anything a bit more longer lasting that will go with my other oak furniture?

I can either put this into my bedroom along quite a wide wall, or I can use the 3rd bedroom as a sort of walk in wardrobe, but I'm not sure I really have enough clothes to have a need for a proper walk in wardrobe.

Soldato
OP
does it fit through the window?
if it does you might want to try using a pulley or something to get it up there

I did consider that, but the windows would need to come out, and even then I doubt it would fit through.

Take it apart. Take upstairs and re build

It's very well glued/screwed together, otherwise I would love to but I think taking it apart would ruin it.

Associate
I recently bought a flat pack PAX system from Ikea. It is great. Flat pack hell as our options arrived in 40 boxes and took 2 days to assemble, but I would recommend. Solid when fixed to the wall and wife now has 9sqm of mirrored doors to occupy herself with.

Last edited:
Soldato
I recently bought a flat pack PAX system from Ikea. It is great. Flat pack hell as our options arrived in 40 boxes and took 2 days to assemble, but I would recommend. Solid when fixed to the wall and wife now has 9sqm of mirrored doors to occupy herself with.
Agree completely, I put 4 double door pax units together in our house very strong and still look like new 4 years later.

Associate
Next have pretty solid flat pack furniture. We have a few bits and pieces from there and it's rock solid.

I think it depends more on the materials than the method, with enough supporting screws and glue, anything that is solid wood can be as good as delivered built.

Soldato
Having recently built a bunch of flat pack furniture from different suppliers, I strongly suggest buying IKEA products.

No, they’re not as well made as they used to be when it was all Scandinavian built from local materials; but they are still way better than anything else in that price range.

Soldato
Another vote for Ikea PAX and easy to take apart and rebuild as long as you take your time and do it properly.

My only build on the PAX range is I tend to fit a wooden batten halfway up the back that's the same depth as the skirting. I then also nail the backboard to it. It firms up the backboard and makes the wardrobes fit nice and tight to the wall.

This was the most recent wardrobes I fitted in our house (walk in wardrobe with 9 carcasses):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuz8yn5aametmqa/wardrobes.jpg?dl=0

Caporegime
I'd vote Ikea. So long as you don't accidentally bump into it with anything solid it's fine otherwise it could ruin the whole look.

Whereas with solid wood furniture bump into it with something solid and arguably it adds character and looks better.

It depends on what you are looking for. IKEA does a job for cheap enough that should you want to re-decorate you can in a few years. However I have found once it's up taking it apart then rebuilding they are never quite the same again. It may live through one rebuild but not likely to relive through multiple.

My coffee table will last forever had I bought from ikea i'd be replacing with a new one every 3 years. The bedroom is fine though for things which won't be man handled so long as you don't bump into them.

Soldato
OP
Another vote for Ikea PAX and easy to take apart and rebuild as long as you take your time and do it properly.

My only build on the PAX range is I tend to fit a wooden batten halfway up the back that's the same depth as the skirting. I then also nail the backboard to it. It firms up the backboard and makes the wardrobes fit nice and tight to the wall.

This was the most recent wardrobes I fitted in our house (walk in wardrobe with 9 carcasses):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kuz8yn5aametmqa/wardrobes.jpg?dl=0

Looks good, I have a small 3rd bedroom that could act as a walk in wardrobe if I wanted it to, although I don't have that much stuff so I'd probably get away with one wardrobe and a chest of drawers.

How do yours look in the room itself?

Associate
Looks good, I have a small 3rd bedroom that could act as a walk in wardrobe if I wanted it to, although I don't have that much stuff so I'd probably get away with one wardrobe and a chest of drawers.

How do yours look in the room itself?
These were what we installed (Ikea Pax). 3.5m I don't have an interior pic, but lots of draws, shelves. The internal fitments really stabilise the structure too. The doors were misery to put together. 16 mirrors, I was worried about damaging just one...

31epwEkh.jpg

IpF7Tl2h.jpg

Soldato
the internal structure of the ikea pax is not so complimentary - below .. I would prefer solid mdf , like the older stuff we have,
Do none of the companies who make good kitchen carcasses, also do wardrobes ?

48731028072_015c0e88ef_o_d.jpg

or diy https://www.slhardwoods.co.uk/produ...hite-beech-veneered-mdf-half-sheet-2440-600mm

Soldato
PAX stuff is great... just don’t try to take it apart and put it back together again. I’ve found it’s never quite the same again! Ours has survived a couple of rebuilds but each time the structure weakens noticeably. The positive is that there’s nothing even remotely close in terms of size per pound and they’re extremely customisable.

Associate
IKEA Pax. Have one, love it.
Plenty of options size-wise, outside design and specially the interior layout.
About the internal structure, it's a clever thing, don't get me wrong. Reduces it's weigh and costs, but the honeycomb structure offers more than enough support.
Mine is about 6 or 7 years old. Had to take apart 2 times moving house and one time when the wooden floor was installed. Still like new, recommended.

Associate
Another vote for Ikea Pax here. We have three in various configs and there all holding up superbly.

I've not had to try taking them apart and rebuilding, but given how cheap they are even at 4 years old I feel like I've already got my moneys worth and I wouldnt loose any sleep if I had to throw them and rebuy should I move house any time soon.

Back
Top Bottom