Car wash

Soldato
Refuse to use these and can’t understand why people do. You’re supporting modern day slavery, plain and simple.
Agree, I worked as a car valet for a few years and my money hungry boss dumped all his British workers for the much cheaper east Europeans who not only did he rip off over pay but rented accommodation to them that you would not keep pigs in
Some where illegal but the authorities were not really interested as they did little when this situation was reported to them.

Caporegime
Just really posting this as can’t get it out of my head.
Went to one of the local hand car washes earlier, which was staffed by Middle Easterns.
One can’t have been much older than 17-18, but both arms were absolutely covered in 2-4 inch long and thick scars.
I just can’t begin to imagine what sort of hellish life he must have had so far.
I am guessing perhaps from Syria and has been caught up in the conflict there?

It’s just really bothered me afterwards, thinking I’m sitting happily in my nice car whilst you clean it, and you’ve been through hell.

He wouldn’t say anything to me about it, but I feel I want to know his story and help somehow.

He's likely been sold and trafficked. You should really report it to authorities. He's essentially a slave.

Caporegime
Agree, I worked as a car valet for a few years and my money hungry boss dumped all his British workers for the much cheaper east Europeans who not only did he rip off over pay but rented accommodation to them that you would not keep pigs in
Some where illegal but the authorities were not really interested as they did little when this situation was reported to them.

Lot of rubbish. I can even post you a news link if you want proof that the authorities take this seriously.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
haha he's talking about a specific incident related to him and you want to counter it with a general news article? :D

Associate
There's loads of these types of hand car washes around Stoke, employing immigrants. You would be hard pushed to find anyone who's British doing hand car washes.

Soldato
I would never take my car to one of those places not because of the slavery, more because they do a terrible job and use old rags that scratch the paintwork.

I would also not use a traditional mechanical car wash as those bristles are just as bad.

The only option if you have any respect for your vehicles paintwork would be to do it yourself using decent products and methods.

To expand on basic method:
2 buckets (one with soap, other to rinse the mitt before soaping - soap bucket remains clean after) with a lambs wool mitt to wash - use an alloy brush for wheels though
Clay - optional
Seal/wax - optional

Oh and good luck, your back will not thank you

Caporegime
To expand on basic method:
2 buckets (one with soap, other to rinse the mitt before soaping - soap bucket remains clean after) with a lambs wool mitt to wash - use an alloy brush for wheels though
Clay - optional
Seal/wax - optional

Oh and good luck, your back will not thank you

Claying is overkill and what do you think happens to the dirt in the clay bar?

Waxing isn't optional IMO if you have went to all that effort of cleaning it. You can get a bottle of spray wax for £15 which lasts easily a month and will do you several months of use if not half a year and make it easier to clean next time.

haha he's talking about a specific incident related to him and you want to counter it with a general news article? :D

Maybe his incident didn't actually come to anything because it was legit? He wouldn't have been notified of what happened. I know for a fact reports of modern day slavery are taken seriously and car washes, nail bars and a few others are common business's which are targeted because it's rife within them. So more reward for less effort.

Soldato
Claying is overkill and what do you think happens to the dirt in the clay bar? use clay lubricant and keep folding the clay so you have fresh surface - I put it as optional but I found the results incredible if I cba

Waxing isn't optional IMO if you have went to all that effort of cleaning it. You can get a bottle of spray wax for £15 which lasts easily a month and will do you several months of use if not half a year and make it easier to clean next time. I only listed the bare minimum good wash basics - I personally never waxed and instead used sealant and buffed it off once dried - the pride I felt at that moment! and the pain in my back!.

Inline comments

Back
Top Bottom