Spec me a new pyrolytic oven

Associate
hey guys

So my 4 year old AEG oven has stopped working. I think it may be the heating element but the callout charge to replace it makes it not worth repairing and tbh we don't like it much anyway.

Been looking at new pyrolytic ovens and just overwhelmed by the amount out there.
We found this which we like the look of and Currys will price match it down to 570 (appliancesdirect price) plus an additional 7% discount which brings total price down to 530 but can't find any reviews on it. AppliancesDirect suggests it was Which? 2017 best buy.

https://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/house...75k5571-electric-oven-black-10152495-pdt.html

Has anyone had experience with this oven and is it worth that cost? If not, any similar looking alternatives? I think its successor is the Samsung 9900J but no reviews on that either.

What I want is pyro cleaning and if possible auto-cooking based on type and weight

Soldato
Happy to consider it, any particular reason though?

The samsung comes with 5 year guarantee, Bosch units only come with 2 year guarantees. Plus the samsung looks much slicker.

All I can say it’s excellent at cooking from experience (ours is the non-steam non-microwave full sized oven) - especially 4D air where the fan switches directions repeatedly to keep all levels of the oven the same temp. This works great for baking!
The touch screen is great for navigating - it has three screens left, centre dial and right.
Pyro mode has 3 levels and locks the door, working nicely :)
The standard setup has a telescopic shelf - perfect for roasts.
The door can be detached for easy cleaning.
The spin wheel is easily cleaned - it’s held on by a magnet, so just pull off and wipe clean if it starts sticking (greasy hot air from opening oven for example). However the panel is wipe clean glass without knobs to get greasy.

Mobile control/notifications over WiFi is ok, but the alert is loud enough!

Preheat gets oven to 200 in about 4 minutes. Although I would say that’s air temp but the oven walls take a little longer (baking is more about radiated heat from the walls, not just air temp).

The probe is great for cooking with a single purpose (ie roast) as the oven changes timings accordingly - the results are superb but the down side is the oven follows the meat temp - if you have potatoes or Yorkies in there then a second oven is useful (have one for roast and other for veggies). We have one oven so we use normal cooking rather than using the probe. For two of us, the single oven is enough for a roast with potatoes and yorkies.

Excellent cooking roasts, baking etc.

Associate
OP
All I can say it’s excellent at cooking from experience (ours is the non-steam non-microwave full sized oven) - especially 4D air where the fan switches directions repeatedly to keep all levels of the oven the same temp. This works great for baking!
The touch screen is great for navigating - it has three screens left, centre dial and right.
Pyro mode has 3 levels and locks the door, working nicely :)
The standard setup has a telescopic shelf - perfect for roasts.
The door can be detached for easy cleaning.
The spin wheel is easily cleaned - it’s held on by a magnet, so just pull off and wipe clean if it starts sticking (greasy hot air from opening oven for example). However the panel is wipe clean glass without knobs to get greasy.

Mobile control/notifications over WiFi is ok, but the alert is loud enough!

Preheat gets oven to 200 in about 4 minutes. Although I would say that’s air temp but the oven walls take a little longer (baking is more about radiated heat from the walls, not just air temp).

The probe is great for cooking with a single purpose (ie roast) as the oven changes timings accordingly - the results are superb but the down side is the oven follows the meat temp - if you have potatoes or Yorkies in there then a second oven is useful (have one for roast and other for veggies). We have one oven so we use normal cooking rather than using the probe. For two of us, the single oven is enough for a roast with potatoes and yorkies.

Excellent cooking roasts, baking etc.

Thanks Nick, sounds good.

Is it this one by any chance? https://ao.com/product/hbg674bb1b-bosch-serie-8-electric-single-oven-black-36606-45.aspx

Caporegime
So with a pyrolytic does the excess heat once it's finished get pumped into the house to save on heating costs? My current one isn't pyrolytic but it has this function. Where once I'm finished a fan comes on which pumps the heat from the oven into the kitchen for like 15 minutes.

Caporegime
So with a pyrolytic does the excess heat once it's finished get pumped into the house to save on heating costs? My current one isn't pyrolytic but it has this function. Where once I'm finished a fan comes on which pumps the heat from the oven into the kitchen for like 15 minutes.

Edit - misunderstood

Last edited:
Soldato

The series 8 has a fan that blows out the front - it keeps the door and warms the room (although the heated air stays in the oven). In Pyro mode the oven door locks and the fans ramp up - yes some smells do come out but we have the extractor on and it seems fine. The only down side with pyro is that most ovens don't rate their internals (shelves and shelf holder metal supports) as pyro safe. The series 8 is no exception, so removing those and giving them a rinse/wipe whilst the oven is cremating everything inside.

We have a full height pullout cupboard next to it and cupboards above and below - no issues in pyro mode, nor for long cooks. The oven goes down to about 50degC, so it can slow cook but it can't be used to try chilli peppers etc (more energy efficient for a drier anyway). It goes up to about 220 odd normally and stupid temps on pyro (400 I think).

Light is a halogen (that's the only issue) but Bosch have the remaining stock - would have preferred they have some form of LED but pyro mode isn't really good with LEDs from reports.

Soldato
usually put oven dishes etc in the oven to dry off, after washing up, so the residual heat is useful;
not sure if all the ovens blow air across the door as a child safety issue, but, its annoying & contributes to the noise in the kitchen, along with the horror of extractor fans.

more than 250C for cooking would be an interesting proposition if you are into pizzas (some folks obvioulsy tried to circumvent the pyro interlock for that too)

Are the duo samsung heat zones genuinely interesting ? even if you can keep the top at 200+ for yorskshire puddings and put a desert at 150 in ther bottom, you still can't open the door otherwise the yorkshires will fall.

Soldato
Thanks, ordered the silver one from AO and got a price match for another website at 689. Add the 150 cashback it should come to a total of 539.

https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-hbg...VArTtCh148AEYEAQYFCABEgLM4vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Two variants of the series 8 confusingly - that is ours :/ have a check on AO.

AO link https://ao.com/product/hbg6764b6b-bosch-serie-8-electric-single-oven-black-41240-45.aspx

The same features but the the flashy control panel and WIFI. Looks like the one you’ve ordered has the dial but not the two side TFTs (and not the probe I suspect). However you get the good cooking capability without the gadgets that don’t make too much difference (just check if you want the probe)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
https://www.johnlewis.com/bosch-hbg...VArTtCh148AEYEAQYFCABEgLM4vD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Two variants of the series 8 confusingly - that is ours :/ have a check on AO.

AO link https://ao.com/product/hbg6764b6b-bosch-serie-8-electric-single-oven-black-41240-45.aspx

The same features but the the flashy control panel and WIFI. Looks like the one you’ve ordered has the dial but not the two side TFTs (and not the probe I suspect). However you get the good cooking capability without the gadgets that don’t make too much difference (just check if you want the probe)

Yea I saw that, I didn't want wifi or the display panels so went with the the model i linked. Tbh I'd rather pay 539 and do without the Wifi and panels than pay 410 more to get them.

Soldato
Yea I saw that, I didn't want wifi or the display panels so went with the the model i linked. Tbh I'd rather pay 539 and do without the Wifi and panels than pay 410 more to get them.

Agreed - the WiFi I have left off as it's a security risk (can start/stop etc the oven). The screens are nice but not essential and the probe is great but only gets used on the odd occasion.

We got ours as part of a kitchen refit and was our main cost for appliances (+hob and extractor - the rest we had already).

Associate
OP
Agreed - the WiFi I have left off as it's a security risk (can start/stop etc the oven). The screens are nice but not essential and the probe is great but only gets used on the odd occasion.

We got ours as part of a kitchen refit and was our main cost for appliances (+hob and extractor - the rest we had already).

got installed today and i must say im not impressed at all with the build quality. The LCD buttons are not sensitive enough and the rotary dial is absolutely awful. I find that I have to keep pressing the LCD buttons for it to register, it's laggy and using the rotary dial is frustrating beyond belief as it doesnt allow for enough of a depress. You have to keep running your fingers over it again and again to get it to register movement. Add to that, the whole LCD panel with the buttons and dial feel like they're built on top of a hollow cavity that is going to cave in when pressed. I'm actually shocked that this is a 800 pound oven. Spoke to AO and said its going straight back.

Soldato
got installed today and i must say im not impressed at all with the build quality. The LCD buttons are not sensitive enough and the rotary dial is absolutely awful. I find that I have to keep pressing the LCD buttons for it to register, it's laggy and using the rotary dial is frustrating beyond belief as it doesnt allow for enough of a depress. You have to keep running your fingers over it again and again to get it to register movement. Add to that, the whole LCD panel with the buttons and dial feel like they're built on top of a hollow cavity that is going to cave in when pressed. I'm actually shocked that this is a 800 pound oven. Spoke to AO and said its going straight back.

I was wondering how you got on - :( it seems.

Hmm interesting - on the glass touch screen, the touches are registered (although it won't pick up a fleeting press - perhaps for safety?) and it doesn't bend. The dial on mine works but thinking about it I think I understand what you mean by 'lag' - rotate the dial fast and the numbers go up at a steady rate still until a few seconds pass then it switches up and the steps switch up in size. I think the expectation is the apple way of rotating dials - immediate and if you spin it has momentum - or perhaps the electronics are too slow?

Soldato
Jumping on this thread a bit but similar requirements here but it would be a double oven, does such a thing exist? I used to have a Zanussi single which would go up to 300c for Pizza, but can't seem to see this anywhere on them anymore, would be a nice to have.

Back
Top Bottom