Car wash

V F

V F

Soldato
I would never take my car to one of those places not because of the slavery, more because they do a terrible job and use old rags that scratch the paintwork.

I would also not use a traditional mechanical car wash as those bristles are just as bad.

The only option if you have any respect for your vehicles paintwork would be to do it yourself using decent products and methods.

Yeah, I always hoover/wash/polish it myself. Shiny, shiny, shiny!

Soldato
To expand on basic method:
2 buckets (one with soap, other to rinse the mitt before soaping - soap bucket remains clean after) with a lambs wool mitt to wash - use an alloy brush for wheels though
Clay - optional
Seal/wax - optional

Oh and good luck, your back will not thank you
I wax and detail mine every time. Its worth it as over time you build up a seal of wax on the car. This makes it easier to clean next time and also keeps the can looking cleaner for longer as well as a small amount of protection from road particles

Man of Honour
Don't clay every time, clay once every couple of years. Claying removes a layer of top coat and how much depends on the claybar grade you use. If the wax you use on top of the polish is long last like Collinite waxes, then you've got protection for a full year anyway.

Soldato
There is a local hand car wash advertising for staff on Facebook so I thought I'd apply for giggles. Got a reply a few days later via Facebook messenger saying they have been inundated with applications so have decided to give everyone a 2 hour unpaid trial.

What a way to bag yourself some free labour! I highly doubt there is even a vacancy. :o

ajf

ajf

Soldato
OP
To add a few points.
I have taken on board some of the views and made the local council aware of my concerns, whether there are right or not.
However I do believe this is a legitimate business.

Regards why I use them?

For various reasons I now struggle to hand wash a car myself, and this place seems to be particularly popular with a range of car owners.
They are also no where near the cheapest in the area.
In general they do a good job, with the only minor issue a couple of spots being missed. No paint damage after three washes.
I usually give the car a full wax myself once or twice a year and spray wax in between.

I did try and find a local mobile valeter, but the only one I did find, doesn’t work weekends, which is somewhat limiting.

Soldato
Don't clay every time, clay once every couple of years. Claying removes a layer of top coat and how much depends on the claybar grade you use. If the wax you use on top of the polish is long last like Collinite waxes, then you've got protection for a full year anyway.

Clay won't remove any clear coat, though a very aggressive compound clay might mar it (requiring a machine polish, which will take a small amount of the clear coat off). A fine/medium clay once or twice a year is fine, and won't damage paint.

Back
Top Bottom