Just Bought Staple Gun And It's Not Strong Enough?

Associate
Anyone know if there's a staple gun that's actually very powerful?

I just bought this one to replace my old (rubbish) £10 Argos Challenge stapler:

pzB9REX.jpg

And from the first staple have been pretty disappointed.

The first 3 staples jammed... then after tweaking the settings I kinda got the staples to go into the wood almost all the way.

Using Arrow T50 staples.

This thing doesn't seem to have the power to get them in flush.

The staples were raised on any wood apart from very soft pine.

I don't wanna buy something that I'm gonna get frustrated with because it won't staple into harder woods.

Is the other Dewalt stapler better? Screwfix had another one but I opted for this as it's able to clip electrical cables in place too.

Unfortunately even with the hardest settings its acting as a clipper and getting the 12mm staples in only half way.

Cheers.

Soldato
Are you sure you don't need a nail gun rather than a staple gun? If you're clipping cables into place, shouldn't you be using proper cable clips rather than just staples?

Soldato
I have the Stanley Fatmax stapler, which looks similar. I had no problem firing 14mm or so staples into plywood when I re-upholstered my desk chair. It sounds like yours might be dodgy if it can't even fully sink 12mm staples.

The only slight issue with the Fatmax stapler is there is a piece of metal bolted to the front, which means you can't get right up to edges with it. You can unbolt the metal to get a bit closer, but it's a faff having to do that.

I'll go and test it on some hard Oak in a min, see if thats the same. If it is then I think you might be better off looking at an electric of gas powered jobbie.

Yeah Oak is a no go for 12mm, I think 10mm max for a hand stapler, unless there are more powerful ones than the heavy duty fatmax/dewalts.

FJMAwkO.jpg.png

It sunk the 12mm and 14mm staples fully into hardwood 18mm ply and some other less hard woods like mahogany, but this oak is really tough stuff.

I couldn't see any way of increasing the power on mine though.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I believe this is an Oak table? Look at the mess it made:

LiFIxnD.jpg

It works fine on plywood. I didn't buy it to clip cables, just thought the cable clipping part would be useful. The other Dewalt doesn't clip cables.

Back
Top Bottom