Garage floor covering recommendations

I recently sealed my dusty garage floor, then painted it.
I did the same in 2017 when I had a sectional garage added at my previous home.

Whatever you do, make sure you go for high end paint. The paint I used this time around was from Screwfix....oil proof yes, but lemonade lifted it up in a matter of seconds!

Associate
OP
Well I've decided to go for the Mototile Motolock 7mm interlocking tiles and the order will be going in today. Going for black and dark grey chequered design

Mototile have an 8% off offer on until the weekend, and coupled with their postage costs (£15 compared to £50 that Plasfloor charge) the overall coats are fairly similar to the thinner Plasfloor tile. The Mototile tiles are also 500x500, compared to 200x200 that the Plasfloor tiles come in, so going with the larger one will make installing them a lot quicker.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
My pallet of Motolock floor tiles arrived today :D

Still about a week or so away from being ready to lay them as I still need to finish off painting the walls, replace the garage distribution board, and install new sockets and lights.

Got a couple out to check and really happy with my choice. Seeing the Motolock tiles out in the floor compared to the smaller (and thinner) Plasfloor tiles I definitely don't regret the small extra cost.

IMG-20190902-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20190902-WA0005.jpg

The Motolock tiles are 495x495x7mm compared to the Plasfloor tiles that are 200x200x4.5mm. Looking at them side by side the thickness difference looks more than 2.5mm so will double check the actual thickness of them to see what they actually are.

Soldato
I'm really interested in seeing what you think of these, I'm putting up a new garage in the next couple of months on a nice fresh slab we're going to lay, and I'm really tempted by a proper floor but put off by the price. The pricing on Mototile is much more like it if it's good.

Associate
I went with plastiles for mine.

Horrible dusty, bare concrete garage. Tried sealing it and painting it but the floor was just not in great condition. Decided on the tiles. They've put up with a lot and were easy to put down.
Before:

After:

Associate
OP
It's been slow progress but got pretty much all of the Motolock tiles down :D

Very happy with the results and how easy they are to lay. Would definitely recommend them if anyone is looking for garage tiles

Before:

DSC-0171.jpg

After:

DSC-0333.jpg

DSC-0334.jpg

Associate
OP
Those Swisstrax tiles look great :cool:

Are you not concerned about dirt or liquids passing down through the ribs though and getting trapped in/under the tiles?

Soldato
Those Swisstrax tiles look great :cool:

Are you not concerned about dirt or liquids passing down through the ribs though and getting trapped in/under the tiles?
No, that’s the whole point of them! Any dry dirt you can hoover out easily, if you really want to it’s easy to lift out a section to properly clean underneath, and the garage floor is laid with a slight slope (I think about 50mm drop from back to front) so anything will eventually drain out anyway.

The tiles have built in 1/4” channels underneath them to allow for drainage, so you could jet wash through them if you were so inclined.

Ev0

Ev0

Soldato
Couldn’t decide what to do when we moved into this place, ended up getting a local flooring company to come and epoxy it.

5C3i89Z.jpg

Rubbish pic only showing half the garage (originally taken as a joke to show off the ‘new honda’ I’d got parked up ;) ), similar to the above it’s about 6mx6m, just under that I think, but you get the idea :)

Was put down about 4 years ago now and has held up very well.

Back
Top Bottom