Is my case really causing these temps??

Soldato
Hey guys,

I just done a sesh of BF5 to "test" my latest configuration.

Settings are Conquest (64 man, multiplayer), 1440p high/ultra detail.

Config : 8700K, RTX 2080, 32gb 3200mhz RAM, M2 / ssd for game and OS install.

After a round of Conquest (around 35min) my stability and FPS were decent whole way through, I just cant get my head round my temps :mad:

OK, the GPU was maxed out on usage aswell as my 6/12 usage on my 8700K..

But the temps were : GPU 70c and the "average" on the CPU was around 70~..

..and i have heard a lot of people saying recently that the NZXT H500 is not great for airflow, do I look at a new case, AIO or what..

..oh and forgot to mention the cooler is a noctua NH-U9S cooler with 2 noctua 92mm fans on..

cheers for reading guys!!

Associate
70c for GPU shouldn't be an issue. Usually needs to go a bit hotter to start throttling.
The CPU is famous for being hot, but again, if under the 70c mark, I wouldn't worry.
Worthy checking the M.2 temperature. A previous Vega 56 and a Phanteks P400S was keeping my M.2 at mid 50s under normal use, but mid 80s during gaming.

Soldato
OP
70c for GPU shouldn't be an issue. Usually needs to go a bit hotter to start throttling.
The CPU is famous for being hot, but again, if under the 70c mark, I wouldn't worry.
Worthy checking the M.2 temperature. A previous Vega 56 and a Phanteks P400S was keeping my M.2 at mid 50s under normal use, but mid 80s during gaming.

I use seperate SSDs to run my games off, my m.2 is just for W10 and apps..would that keep the temp on the m.2 down also?

Soldato
Plenty warm but as Michael Marini said not too hot. What temps does it run on not so intensive a load? What case, case fan setup and CPU cooler are you using? What is fan curve set to?

I've found that almost all cases cool better with all PCIe back slot covers removed. Doing this increases rear vent area around GPU thus improving front to back airflow around GPU and this moves the heated exhaust coming off of GPU back and out of case faster .. meaning it doesn't mix with cool air flowing to GPU and CPU so get get air closer to room temp .. and every degree warmer the air is into cooler translates to same degrees hotter that component is, especially when working hard. You might find below is link to basic guide to airflow and how to optimize case airflow for lower temps and noise.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Associate
Your M.2 will be marginally cooler not running the games, but unless you're using a heatsink or a fan directly pointing at it, the hearing created by the GPU won't help. A simply 7 pounds heatsink should help (a lot).

Soldato
OP
Plenty warm but as Michael Marini said not too hot. What temps does it run on not so intensive a load? What case, case fan setup and CPU cooler are you using? What is fan curve set to?

I've found that almost all cases cool better with all PCIe back slot covers removed. Doing this increases rear vent area around GPU thus improving front to back airflow around GPU and this moves the heated exhaust coming off of GPU back and out of case faster .. meaning it doesn't mix with cool air flowing to GPU and CPU so get get air closer to room temp .. and every degree warmer the air is into cooler translates to same degrees hotter that component is, especially when working hard. You might find below is link to basic guide to airflow and how to optimize case airflow for lower temps and noise.
https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/t...-i-put-my-temp-sensor.18564223/#post-26159770

Doing basic things, like spotify, chrome with 8-12 tabs open, steam open, mail etc.. my CUP is around 30-35c and the GPU is around 27-30c.

My case is the H500 NZXT with NH-U9S CPU cooler with 2 Noctua fans..and with the fan curve does the CPU one need to be done in the BIOS?

and thanks for the link I will have a wee look at :)

Soldato
Monitoring air temp into CPU cooler in running system gives us a good idea of what's going on. Sometimes just increasing case fan speed by 100-200rpm will lower air temp into cooler by 8-10c, and that also lowers CPU temp by same 8-10c. ;)

Soldato
OP
Monitoring air temp into CPU cooler in running system gives us a good idea of what's going on. Sometimes just increasing case fan speed by 100-200rpm will lower air temp into cooler by 8-10c, and that also lowers CPU temp by same 8-10c. ;)

Where can I do the adjustments on the case fans/CPU cooler? Is it the Bios, I use MSI AfterBurner for my GPU..

Soldato
Where can I do the adjustments on the case fans/CPU cooler? Is it the Bios, I use MSI AfterBurner for my GPU..
Assuming they are plugged into motherboard fan header you can use motherboard fan control software to set temp to speed curves. Most mobo software give 3-5 temp/speed setting points from low temp/fans idling to high temp/fans at full speed. I usually use low fan speeds (500rpm idle, 1000rpm 60c, and at abou5 70c go 100% fan speed. This keeps things quiet except at extreme load if CPU is making extreme heat. Most of my builds never run faster than about 1200rpm at 100% CPU load, even with pretty good OC's.

Associate
Doyll really is the Air flow King & was helping me with my temps overclocking 8600k @5Ghz.

But I do think I have something for you that will help. Gamers Nexus do thorough benchmarks on cases specifically airflow and fan configurations. Here is you case specifically. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7HK5Aulw7YI.

Maybe it will help shed some degrees of your temps. Not sure of side panel clearance but you could also consider upgrading your cpu heatsink to the Noctua NH-D15 or NH-D15S if you need ram clearance. I use the NH-D15S what I have reached the 5Ghz overclock on.

Dam forgot, this is Noctua new model noctua nh-u12a. Smaller than the D15 models but by all accounts just as good.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the help guys!

I have been tweaking my settings around a bit and just finished a sesh of Borderlands 3..my GPU was under FULL load and my temps were peaking at 65c due to my fan curve. And my CPU wasnt maxed out (must be a more GPU intensive game) and running around the 50c mark.

Strange..im not getting great results in BL3, im on 1440p at high end detail and only averaging 85-100 FPS.

My GPU is a MSI 2080 and my CPU a 8700K :confused:

Soldato
OP
While 70c/70c is too bad, getting temps down to 65c/50c is a nice bit of improvement.

Thanks mate.

did you mean to say "70c/70c is NOT too bad"??

My GPU under max load is now at 65c but the CPU is a bit higher, its just Borderlands 3 it seems to be around the 50c mark :confused::confused:

Will give it a good play later with some BF5 and see what im peaking at!

Caporegime
Anything below 80 is fine for GPU. I'd probably say same for CPU too.

I've found the best way to improve airflow is to not work against physics.

Heat rises. But in a PC case people tend to have inputs at the front and outputs at the back. I like to boost this by also adding inputs at the bottom and outputs at the top.

So the airflow moves diagonally upwards and backwards. Rather than just front to back.

If you can position CPU cooler to expel upwards directly out an output fan at the top. This does however mean it's drawing hot air from GPU. So I try and push cold air to the GPU as much as possible by having a fan near it pushing fresh air into it.

I typically end up having to buy fan splitters for every build as well as additional fans. So I have loads of fans used in optimal a way as possible. I have 5 intake fans in my current case. 2 at the front and 3 at the bottom. I have 1 rear output and psu setup as an additional rear output. I will now be adding a third party cooler to force more towards a rear output this case doesn't have any top vents. which is a huge flaw as hot air will rise upwards. so i'm trying to expel it all out the back as much as i can and trying to get as much fresh air in from the front and bottom.

Soldato
OP
Anything below 80 is fine for GPU. I'd probably say same for CPU too.

I've found the best way to improve airflow is to not work against physics.

Heat rises. But in a PC case people tend to have inputs at the front and outputs at the back. I like to boost this by also adding inputs at the bottom and outputs at the top.

So the airflow moves diagonally upwards and backwards. Rather than just front to back.

If you can position CPU cooler to expel upwards directly out an output fan at the top. This does however mean it's drawing hot air from GPU. So I try and push cold air to the GPU as much as possible by having a fan near it pushing fresh air into it.

I typically end up having to buy fan splitters for every build as well as additional fans. So I have loads of fans used in optimal a way as possible. I have 5 intake fans in my current case. 2 at the front and 3 at the bottom. I have 1 rear output and psu setup as an additional rear output. I will now be adding a third party cooler to force more towards a rear output this case doesn't have any top vents. which is a huge flaw as hot air will rise upwards. so i'm trying to expel it all out the back as much as i can and trying to get as much fresh air in from the front and bottom.

The problem I have is my case is very "fan" / "space" limited..im in a NZXT H500 caes, really, really considering a move to the Lian-Li PC-011 Dynamic, plus it looks a sweet case too :D

Associate
I was interested in the Lian-Li, surprisingly good temps with air setup. I say was as I was gutted to find out the Noctua NH-D15S is to big to fit with side panel on :(

Soldato
Thanks mate.

did you mean to say "70c/70c is NOT too bad"??

My GPU under max load is now at 65c but the CPU is a bit higher, its just Borderlands 3 it seems to be around the 50c mark :confused::confused:

Will give it a good play later with some BF5 and see what im peaking at!
Yeah, 70c/70c is not bad at all, but as warm as I like my systems to ever run.

Actually "heat rises" is myth. What happens is heat expands cooler air making it less dense so it moves up .. but any other air movement easily over-powers lighter air rising.

Biggest problem in most cases (no pun) is that GPUs dump heated exhaust air in all directions .. making it very hard to keep GPU heated exhaust from moving into and mixing wiht cool airflow going to CPU cooler .. which is why telling peeps to increase rear vent area around GPU by removing all PCIe back slot covers thus improving front to back airflow helps get cooler airflow to CPU cooler .. and GPU too. Remove them even if they are vented covers because even the best vent grill (round wire ones) drop airflow by about 29% .. pressed metal onea reduce airflow up to 71%.
7512af48_FilterGrillResistanceSilverstontek.x-ms-bmp

More info on vent airflow restriction in link below:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/22657923-post15.html

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the input guys!

Just a quick update : I played about a 40min sesh on BF5 there. Conquest, so 64 man server.. at 1440p v.high detail..

I then checked afterburner and my GPU temps were mid 60's and the CPU a bit hotter but using all cores, AVERAGING 65c-68c. But I think BF5 is about as demanding a game im gonna get so im taking these results as PEAK for my system, as only stress testing would see it much higher I think...so, im happy where its at..

thanks again guys!

Caporegime
Thanks for the input guys!

Just a quick update : I played about a 40min sesh on BF5 there. Conquest, so 64 man server.. at 1440p v.high detail..

I then checked afterburner and my GPU temps were mid 60's and the CPU a bit hotter but using all cores, AVERAGING 65c-68c. But I think BF5 is about as demanding a game im gonna get so im taking these results as PEAK for my system, as only stress testing would see it much higher I think...so, im happy where its at..

thanks again guys!

iirc nvidia GPU's throttle after 80C, which is why undervolting is better for boost clocks. heat is the real enemy. so when overlocking them i tend to drop power limit by 5-10% and then overclock. GPU RAM is funny when overclocking. you could do a 200, 300 or a 600 overclock yet the 200 be the fastest. so it's best to test it in small increments to see what scores it achieves and keeping a record.

so if you haven't already you could probably drop the power limit on your gpu and it be better for your performance. unlink it from temps first. it will also likely lower temps further.

Back
Top Bottom