premium small / mid size SUV options

Man of Honour
Honestly, unless OP wants/needs a high seating position, an estate provides more luggage space and a better all-round experience tbh.

I have to say in modern traffic I find the overall aspect of a SUV or pickup (as long as body roll isn't bad) a more relaxing experience. I have never liked getting down into a car though for some reason I naturally feel more comfortable driving when my head is closer to my normal walking height.

Soldato
Are these WLTP indicative on other brands as well?
BMW wltp data, although closer, seem to show manual is better on the motorways and automatic in urban .. so not black and white,
but who know how precisely the wltp tests demand that the manual or auto box is used, and the skilled driver, that we all are, couldn't do better.
... need some real real world data from owners
48783997338_5aae66ac26_o_d.jpg

I hadn't realised the manual overdrive/6th is smaller than the steptronics/8th

Soldato
how they were characterised - look it up on google
Update of the technical data of all BMW series :

The values are already based on the test cycle according to the new WLTP regulation and are translated back into NEDC-equivalent values in order to allow a comparison between vehicles.

Please find attached the specifications of the new BMW 3 Series Touring, valid from 06/2019.

BMW wltp data, although closer, seem to show manual is better on the motorways and automatic in urban .. so not black and white,
but who know how precisely the wltp tests demand that the manual or auto box is used, and the skilled driver, that we all are, couldn't do better.
... need some real real world data from owners
48783997338_5aae66ac26_o_d.jpg

I hadn't realised the manual overdrive/6th is smaller than the steptronics/8th

Real world means nothing thats the problem, its down to driving style plus many other factors.

Associate
Hi,

I'm looking at getting a small / mid sized SUV, I'm wanting something that is 4 wheel drive, has respectable performance (sub 9 second 0-60). Prefer something that has a nice interior. Budget is <£32K outright or < £475 PCP. I've looked at the BMW options and I do like the X1 and X3, but was wondering what other options there might be (never really looked at SUVs before).

Thanks

UL

For Fun Stelvio, CX-5.

For good value on kit, warranty and 4wd ability but perhaps not the most exciting Kia Sportage.

Other options have already been mentioned, I'll add another, Merc GLA or GLC.

Seat Ateca Cupra seems nice but such a laggy engine, reckon the smaller FR might drive better (engine responsiveness) as with Golf Gti vs Golf R

I like the idea of the skoda Kodiac VRS but diesel is not for us so we haven't tried it but seems well specced and powerful

Ford Edge Vignal is quite nice inside and out, also like the DS7 Crosback, the e-hybrid with 200 petrol and +100 electric sounds like it might be a good one to own, not tried either of these.

Of course the other question is do you need an SUV plenty of 4wd hatches/saloons etc.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
GLC.

Seat Ateca Cupra seems nice but such a laggy engine, reckon the smaller FR might drive better (engine responsiveness) as with Golf Gti vs Golf R

I like the idea of the skoda Kodiac VRS but diesel is not for us so we haven't tried it but seems well specced and powerful

Ford Edge Vignal is quite nice inside and out, also like the DS7 Crosback, the e-hybrid with 200 petrol and +100 electric sounds like it might be a good one to own, not tried either of these.

Of course the other question is do you need an SUV plenty of 4wd hatches/saloons etc.

The Edge is being discontinued now. Im with most here, SUV if you need the height, i went from a A4 Avant to a Volvo x60 R design.I do like the high seating position, and suits me as its wide enough for 3 kids seats, which most big estates and small SUV are not. Small SUV hot or not, are pointless as they offer no extra practicality. The mid size ones are the ones to go for.

Ultimately best practicality comes from the skoda superb estate!

Associate
Small SUV hot or not, are pointless as they offer no extra practicality. The mid size ones are the ones to go for.

Ultimately best practicality comes from the skoda superb estate!

Small SUVs still tend to have easier ingress/egress due to extra height and tend to give you more interior comfort due to upright seating again because of height, they also do this in a shorter length vehicle that is easier to park and don't have things like transmission tunnels getting in the way typically.

So it depends what you mean by no extra practicality, as they are pretty practical points but yes you won't get more people in and you might get less luggage in one but it can be a more practical city car depending in use case.

Associate
OP
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the recommendations, I've been test driving quite a few, will return when I've decided on one..... front runner (is the not so small) X3.

Soldato
Just wanted to pop in and say thanks for all the recommendations, I've been test driving quite a few, will return when I've decided on one..... front runner (is the not so small) X3.

X3 is a good choice, lovely interior especially at night plus the ride is nice and smooth.

Soldato
X3 is a good choice, lovely interior especially at night plus the ride is nice and smooth.
Agree with that. I tested one back in 2011 and it was nice. A step up in interior quality from the X1of the time
I've just traded in a 2011 BMW X1 4WD. It was a great car. I bought it in 2012 lightly used about 8 months old. Covered about 58k miles in it and only needed a new battery (short journeys) and last year an exhaust clamp. I'll miss the practicality it offered.

Mazda are offering some nice cars at the moment with fabulous interiors. The CX-30 looks nice but isn't yet launched. CX-5 probably medium sized even though looks like a big tank

Last edited:
Soldato
Picking up my XC40 this week, think it ticks a lot of the boxes, you can get 1 year old ones in that price range.

No one else seems to have mentioned one, since .. so how's it working out ? mpg ... space ... build ... what colour did you get

- just watching a review of these on fifth gear and they were really complimentary about the comfort/ride and, the design looks excellent/distinctive,
the two tone effect too in the right colours .. looks a lot more welcoming than something like an evoque (light in the back too) which has similar presence,

Soldato
No one else seems to have mentioned one, since .. so how's it working out ? mpg ... space ... build ... what colour did you get

- just watching a review of these on fifth gear and they were really complimentary about the comfort/ride and, the design looks excellent/distinctive,
the two tone effect too in the right colours .. looks a lot more welcoming than something like an evoque (light in the back too) which has similar presence,

I went for the T5 Inscription Pro with most of the options, white leather, Onyx black 20 inch wheels. It's a really nice place to be tbh and very comfortable. MPG is nothing to shout about 30-35 but knew that going in about the T5 Petrol and not not fussed about economy, think the diesels are better as is the T3 petrol. They also have the new hybrid coming too.

Back
Top Bottom