White vinegar instead of Fabric conditioner

Soldato
I do this sometimes if I've ran out of fabric conditioner, all you need is a small dash - approx 2 tablepsoons.

Don't use malt (brown) vinegar, as it can stain the rubber on your washing machine. I always use distilled (clear) vinegar from Aldi, which is about 30p for a bottle.

Associate
I tried this with some of the white vinegar from aldi (30p a bottle or so).
The clothes felt fresher but they did smell of vinegar and it didnt condition any better than normal conditioner would but it is much cheaper.

Soldato
OP
I tried this with some of the white vinegar from aldi (30p a bottle or so).
The clothes felt fresher but they did smell of vinegar and it didnt condition any better than normal conditioner would but it is much cheaper.

Needs to be quality white distilled vinegar. Got mine from Amazon. Tons of excellent reviews. 5lt container.

Not once has my clothes, bedding, towels smelt of vinegar.

Soldato
Blotting paper and an iron to get wax off clothes.
I've used a similar method before to save a rug from a dropped candle. I just used brown parcel paper with the iron on a low heat. I was stunned when it just sucked the wax up and you'd never have known anything had happened.

Soldato
I converted to white vinegar for a few years while trying to figure out how to prevent sweat/deodorant stains clogging my shirts. I built a new routine which was good for cleaning but also looked after the machine better:

- soda crystals in prewash to soften the water (makes soap work better - London water is ****)
- normal detergent, I use concentrate in the tray
- white vinegar for conditioner. I got 5L of 10x strength stuff from a Chinese supermarket so literally a capful of that dilutes to being a decent amount
- always leave door and tray ajar to let the machine air and dry out

My machine never gets smelly and seems generally cleaner. I've since moved to laundry cleanser (basically anti-bacterial stuff) for post-wash instead of vinegar, in an attempt to keep sweaty stuff from getting smelly over time. I wash at 30 so I think armpits tend to clog after a while. I still use vinegar for towels, dishcloths, bath mats, or anything else I don't actually wear.

Would balsamic vinegar also work?
Only if you like sticky brown pants.

Soldato
The fact that is says Top 10 reasons and then lists 11 reasons is making me unreasonably angry :mad:

Perfectly reasonable to be angry at that.

Although it's not logically inconsistent :D

Back on topic, I'd heard you could use white vinegar to restore cloudy drinking glasses. I had some nice Denby glasses that had gone cloudy for some reason....tried soaking them in white vinegar but it had no effect. It's good for removing limescale and cleaning shower heads, kettles, stuff like that though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Its extremely good if you have sweaty clothes or pit stains. You can get it in a spray bottle from Wilko and if you have some particularly sweaty pits on t-shirts etc just squirt some of that on the area and leave for 30 mins before putting into the washer, stick a bit in with your liquid and it does a great job, especially if you wash things on low temp.

Caporegime
Although it's not logically inconsistent :D

Science me up, bro. Because last time I checked with the numbers manual, 10 wasn't 11 so check and mate, uh, mate.

A drop of apple vinegar in a chile con carne will add a subtle nuance ... so there's that, I suppose? :confused:

e:
JBuk said:
Top 10 reasons to be angry + 2 bonus reasons

12 REASONS! TWELVE! TWELVE?

MODS!

Back
Top Bottom