Dell S2716DG v Asus Rog Swift P278QR v Acer XB271HUbmiprz

Associate
I've got the option of getting one of the Dell or Asus monitors as a replacement.

It will be used mainly for gaming and paired with a 2080.

The only other option is the Acer XB271HUbmiprz which will run about £120 extra.

I can't decide which to get so would love some advice.

As this is a warranty replacement from a catalogue purchase, I don't have any other decent options apart from these.

Thanks

Man of Honour
I've seen way way too many failures on the various ROG Swift lines. The Dell is mostly a decent monitor a small number get some kind of burn-in kind of marks if you leave the same content displaying statically though but in my experience failure rates on it are very low and as a package quality control overall seems better than the Asus - stuff is fixed in place properly for instance in the Dell whereas just held in place with a bit of silver tape in the Asus.

Can't speak as to the Acer.

Soldato
Wouldn't really recommend any asus monitors to be fair. Been through many and their QC on the gaming monitors seems to be the worst of the bunch.

Have had a XB271hu for a good while now and my first monitor was near on perfect. Good build quality, minimal bleed, good whites, good uniformity, no pixel issues etc.

But as anything just luck really these days.

I'd likely go dell in the future though, much better warranty.

Associate
OP
Ok thanks.

I'm leaning towards the Dell tbh, just unsure if I'd be happy with a TN panel as in general I've had IPS panels before.

I've read that the Dell is pretty decent once calibrated though so might the way forward.

Soldato
Ok thanks.

I'm leaning towards the Dell tbh, just unsure if I'd be happy with a TN panel as in general I've had IPS panels before.

I've read that the Dell is pretty decent once calibrated though so might the way forward.

Worth a try at the acer in my opinion if you can justify it. TN is ok but it just doesn’t come close to IPS in terms of viewing angles and colours if that’s what you’re used too you will notice it. I’ve had the dell before. Contrast being worse on TN regardless.

You have also the added 165hz which while not a big deal, is a tiny bit smoother and more responsive than 144hz, at least to me anyway.

Associate
OP
Worth a try at the acer in my opinion if you can justify it. TN is ok but it just doesn’t come close to IPS in terms of viewing angles and colours if that’s what you’re used too you will notice it. I’ve had the dell before. Contrast being worse on TN regardless.

You have also the added 165hz which while not a big deal, is a tiny bit smoother and more responsive than 144hz, at least to me anyway.

Thanks, I'll have to stop sitting on the fence and pick one later today.

I think it will probably be worth the extra £120 for the IPS screen.

Associate
Go with the Dell, best built quality, performance is excellent as expected too.
As for IPS i can get my Dell to look almost as good as my LG IPS beside it thanks to the colour filter in geforce experience, really has to be seen to be believed its a TN panel.

Soldato
Thanks, I'll have to stop sitting on the fence and pick one later today.

I think it will probably be worth the extra £120 for the IPS screen.

The dell is a great monitor for the price, really is. However even once calibrated the IPS will still stand out especially on the viewing angle side. But all depends on what you want, how much you want to pay etc.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
The dell is a great monitor for the price, really is. However even once calibrated the IPS will still stand out especially on the viewing angle side. But all depends on what you want, how much you want to pay etc.

Yeah I have the Dell S2716DG alongside a U2913WM (which is properly calibrated and one of the better regarded IPS panels) and the TN is good, very good for a TN, but simply doesn't have the deep saturation or viewing angles of the IPS. I've got the S21716DG tweaked superficially to look the same so it doesn't stand out if you see them side by side but closer inspection the difference is apparent.

Man of Honour
Took apart an Asus ROG Swift today...

eZSdxrO.png

Was already dead but took out some parts to fix another monitor. For a supposedly premium tier product it is decidedly low budget inside :s cheap components like capacitors, stuff not very well held together or under strain so easily damaged, components that are going to get hot in proximity to heat sensitive parts, etc.

I'd be less critical if it was a run of the mill product line - but for a supposedly premium higher tier product IMO it is taking the mick.

Last edited:
Soldato
Took apart an Asus ROG Swift today...

eZSdxrO.png

Was already dead but took out some parts to fix another monitor. For a supposedly premium tier product it is decidedly low budget inside :s cheap components like capacitors, stuff not very well held together or under strain so easily damaged, components that are going to get hot in proximity to heat sensitive parts, etc.

I'd be less critical if it was a run of the mill product line - but for a supposedly premium higher tier product IMO it is taking the mick.

It’s a shame the QC these days for “gaming” monitors. Just seems to be worse than ever.

Actually had a 4k 28” 60hz TN Asus monitor some 3-4 years ago now and it was an amazing panel. No bleed, excellent colours, great uniformity etc. One thing I really do regret selling. Was about £350 too.

After my pg279Q stunt a couple years ago now. I wouldn’t buy another Asus gaming based monitor ever again.

Soldato
My Swift was flawless, best gaming monitor I've ever owned. It's such a damn lottery with these things it seems. The 8 bit TN panel sued in the swift is excellent, I didn't think I was sacrificing image quality in any way, plus the handling of motion was excellent. I'd go for something identical in specs were I in the market for a new gaming screen, the Dell at least has excellent warranty and returns and is similar in spec, I'm not hearing the horror stories so much either.

Soldato
My Swift was flawless, best gaming monitor I've ever owned. It's such a damn lottery with these things it seems. The 8 bit TN panel sued in the swift is excellent, I didn't think I was sacrificing image quality in any way, plus the handling of motion was excellent. I'd go for something identical in specs were I in the market for a new gaming screen, the Dell at least has excellent warranty and returns and is similar in spec, I'm not hearing the horror stories so much either.

The TN panels are decent I’ve had two pg278q’s in the past and they were very good displays. I was actually tempted by one recently before deciding on something else.

I’ve seen stories of some decent IPS pg279q’s but never owned one in person :p.

Must have tried 3-4 and all of them ignoring bleed and glow had horrible white uniformity. Pretty much half the screen was nicotine yellow, the other half was white as expected. Probably fine for games but very distracting in normal windows use. Not something I was prepared to accept for £700 anyway. Quite a few videos on YT of the issue.

Man of Honour

The panel itself is good - especially later revisions. Some slight banding but otherwise excellent colours, etc. for a TN, sharp display and good response times, etc. - the problem is the rest of it. The Dell I've found to be an overall better package though.

Even just taking them out the box side by side the Dell has the presentation of a more premium product.

Back
Top Bottom