• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080 Ti or...?

Associate
I potentially have the ability to get a Gigabyte 1080 Ti for about £350. Is that a good deal or for that kind of money would I be better off adding a few pounds and buying something new?

Worth adding that for the short-term I'm only gaming at 1080p; longer term I'm looking at moving to 1440p and a new build, so in the interim I know I would be CPU bound (have an 4790k, if I recall.)

Thoughts?

Associate
Only if it's Aorus or even FE. The Windforce ones are really low quality, don't even have backplates. Gigabyte went from being top tier manufacturer of Maxwell cards to being one of the worse ones currently (Palit is better now than gigabyte).

Soldato
I potentially have the ability to get a Gigabyte 1080 Ti for about £350. Is that a good deal or for that kind of money would I be better off adding a few pounds and buying something new?

Worth adding that for the short-term I'm only gaming at 1080p; longer term I'm looking at moving to 1440p and a new build, so in the interim I know I would be CPU bound (have an 4790k, if I recall.)

Thoughts?

Which gigabyte? Because it sold reference model and is big no no.
Also consider it won't have warranty. So as someone said above with that money you get 5700XT.

For 2070S new you have to add 50% to your budget, without getting more than 8% the performance of the 5700XT. (before tweaking the latter).
Your pic.

Caporegime

Thoughts?
A 1080ti for 1080p is massive overkill, plus as you say yourself your cpu will bottleneck the card anyway albeit not hugely, the higher your resolution the more work you throw at the GPU making it easier for the CPU to catch up with it to feed the information of what you're doing in-game so for the a 1080ti to render a scene at 1080p your not making it break sweat, 1440p will help but still I’d say a 1080ti is something of an overkill.

I’ve got the 4790 (non k) and a 1080ti Amp Extreme, but I run @4k so it isn’t really an issue for me as per the above.

£350 is a lot for a second hand card with no warranty, I’d personally look at something more suited to 1440p which you could easily get within budget and with a warranty brand new.

Associate
1080Ti is perfect for 1080p when you're playing at 144hz or just want to max out games, it's not overkill. It was overkill at launch but not now

Back
Top Bottom